• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Battenberg

Road Traffic Accidents

Why does it take so long to clear them. 

I think I've heard somewhere that we are terrible in this country, among other things, at dealing with the clear up at RTA's and getting the roads up and running again. 

Last night 6.15 I passed 2 cars that had collided on a dual carriageway. Both drivers out of the car, one had lost the left front corner, one had lost the rear right corner. 

Went back at 8.15 and the recovery services were only just loading one of the cars on their truck. 

2 hours to sort it out and it caused no end of chaos on the road through Cardiff. 

I'm genuinely interested to know what takes them so long when there didn't appear to be any fatalities and it was less than 5 minutes away from the University hospital. 

God knows. Whenever the Police attend accidents around here it seems to necessitate closing all lanes down regardless of how many lanes the accident is in. I've passed accidents in Europe and they seem to manage the accident site and keep the traffic flowing.

I'm guessing it's because in UK the Police have accident investigators that attend crashes to assess what happened and where the blame lies as best they can. This may involve closing a road as with a crime scene and putting in place diversions. Even without closing a road, they may close a carriageway, coning off and waving traffic through in single file which inevitable causes delays.

I'm not referring to fatal accidents, just minor bumps, in particular around here we see lots of upside down cars, which the occupants have safely exited, but the vehicle stays where it is for hours. Maybe you might turn up at an accident scene with several officers measuring distances and taking pictures.

In contrast when similar accidents occur in USA or Canada usually State Troopers and Highway Patrol set up a lane closure whilst a dozen of them along with passers by push damaged vehicles from the road straight away whilst waving the traffic through to keep it moving. Then if needed an ambulance collects injured occupants from the side of the pavement (road as we call it). 

In other words here the priority seems to be finding out what happened, over there the priority is to keep traffic moving so everybody can earn dollars. Its a different mentality.

16 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Is that to keep the damp out?

No - just enjoy setting things alight.

To be honest, don't always wait for breakdowns, set them on fire outside people's houses as well. 

If it"s a holiday home the house might go up too, although they do check nobody is home first. Usually.

11 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

No - just enjoy setting things alight.

To be honest, don't always wait for breakdowns, set them on fire outside people's houses as well. 

If it"s a holiday home the house might go up too, although they do check nobody is home first. Usually.

Ha. One of my mates moved to deepest Wales, but despite having the surname Jones, he checked with the estate agents whether he would have this sort of gip. Actually no.

Devon & Cornwall police, to be fair, are pretty good at clearing accidents where there are only minor injuries.

Where there are serious injuries or deaths then I appreciate that it takes longer owing to it being a possible crime scene but they do seem to hang those out for ridiculous amounts of time; up to sixteen hours.

8 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

In Wales we set them on fire.

Or dump them in an old mine, and claim on the insurance as stolen, when something expensive goes mechanically wrong. Doubt they gave Fatcher any credit for providing this convenient car disposal opportunity away from the prying eyes of an insurance investigator.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3454287/Mountain-abandoned-cars-70s-abandoned-MINE.html

315CE92500000578-0-image-a-4_14558742009

Edited by SNACR

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

...he checked with the estate agents whether he would have this sort of gip. Actually no.

I'm reassured by your faith in the honesty of estate agents in Wales MrPin.

So Miss Estate Agent, tell me about Meibion Glyndwr ? Are they active in Porthmadog these days ?  Oh yes, they have The Plaid-Green Summer Solstice Conference, every year in Pontrhydfendigaid....they don't burn down holiday homes now though LOL!

Plaid-Green.jpg?resize=550%2C237

5 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

She looks good now !

When you spend all day with sheep

As a very young boy, only two women held my 100% attention on TV. Shirley Bassey, and Diana Rigg. I think I had good taste once.

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I'm reassured by your faith in the honesty of estate agents in Wales MrPin.

So Miss Estate Agent, tell me about Meibion Glyndwr ? Are they active in Porthmadog these days ?  Oh yes, they have The Plaid-Green Summer Solstice Conference, every year in Pontrhydfendigaid....they don't burn down holiday homes now though LOL!

Plaid-Green.jpg?resize=550%2C237

I remember seeing The Alarm in Pontrhydfendigaid back in the 80s.  Dunno why they played there -- it's in the middle of nowhere.  Even people from the middle of nowhere don't go there.

Just now, longtomsilver said:

In Wales you like to roll them down hills before you set them on fire.

No - stopped all that since the tougher anti-drink driving penalties.

The usual m/o now is to squirt lighter fluid onto the front number plate, set it alight, fire spreads quite quickly to engine bay. If it's somebody that hasn't paid their catalogue bills or their Black Mamba dealer - they squirt it onto the rear number plate instead so the fuel tank explodes - if it's parked close enough to UPVC windows it'll take the house with it.

That's why west of M4 you'll notice cars with Cymru dragon flag stickers often have more expensive metal number plates.