• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Universal benefits

I can't find a thread on this - I remember @spygirl thread on ToS on universal benefits, a complete disaster. 

Anyhow, there is currently a vote going on in parliament about the nationwide introduction. Wingeing and moaning from the So-Called BBC about the impact. Interviews of what looked to me, to be able bodied people wingeing that they could not survive. Get a job?  Sorry, my sympathy has run out when I look at the tax take on my pay slip. 

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/191808-universal-credit-new-threadcomplete-disaster/

There should be limited benefits for working age people.

Should be conditional on 38h week.

UC was a waste of energy. They should have reformed TCs - slashside benefits, increase hours to 38h, provide max 500/m topup if you have 2 kids.

6 minutes ago, billfunk said:

It is the means testing and associated bureaucracy that are the problem. Just pay everyone £100 a week and scrap all other benefits. The DWP can be disbanded as it is a make-work scheme for the scroungers who work there. They need to get proper jobs. Or not. It wouldn't matter.

Or pay nothing at all and reduce taxes for those that actually work

Just now, One percent said:

Or pay nothing at all and reduce taxes for those that actually work

I think not paying anything at all would be a massive break with the social contract. I can't imagine any party ever having the political capital to get that through parliament. 

£100 a week means no-one would be destitute. It would make everyone understand the true value of money and act accordingly. Minimum wage could be abolished. Productivity would sky rocket as people start to "jump".

1 minute ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

The safety net envisioned by the post war Labour government has become a hammock for the feckless and idle. Bevan must have been spinning in his grave for the last 30 years. 

We need a great reset, but unfortunately our political class doesn’t have the stomach to do what is necessary. I honestly believe that many of them don’t have the intellect to do anything different to what has happened in the last 20 years. Like an army that has been at peace for 50 years, the leaders are technocrats with no stomach for a fight. The great reset will have to be forced by circumstances, and when it comes, it will be ugly.

It will be forced. We are printing to infinity and beyond and piling up that debt to beyond sustainable levels. At some point it will implode. It is not a matter of if but of when. 

Im suprised that they have kept the plates spinning this long. 

Oddly no one seems to be arguing against universal (odd choice of word, I won't get any) credit, more the implementation and the 6 week delay.

If i am understanding it, most benefits were paid in advance, but UC is paid arrears. This makes sense. If someone on benefits gets a job, that will be paid in arrears so the transition would be very hard, and outputting.

That explains at least 4 weeks of the delay, but it would have made sense to have phasing in. Many years ago i took my factory from weekly to monthly wages and we had to do it over 4 months to avoid serious problems for the staff.

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

ah, no. Neither can I. Was it to make the helpline a free number rather than premium rate?  

Disinformation and obfuscation afaict. O.o

They weren't premium rate.  They were billed as national-call rate.  The problem is some people were using mobiles which for most were included in their call plan but for a minority they were charged at a premium rate.

Edited by dgul

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

They weren't premium rate.  They were billed as national-call rate.  The problem is some people were using mobiles which for most were included in their call plan but for a minority they were charged at a premium rate.

Ah, ta for the clarification.  I was using the So-Called BBC as my source. O.o

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I've taken up burglary. It's easier, and tax efficient.

I know a wise old guy aged 85.

I asked him what he would change about his life if he had a chance to do it again.

He said he would break every law to get ahead. Honesty doesn't pay. Crime does.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

I am shocked. Do you mean this was fake news?

(Not really. Most intelligent people knew this and just thought the outraged were making themselves look even more idiotic)

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am shocked. Do you mean this was fake news?

(Not really. Most intelligent people knew this and just thought the outraged were making themselves look even more idiotic)

I fell for it. Tbf, I don't actually read the So-Called BBC output but kind of skimmed the headline (I've enough angst in my life without reading the So-Called BBC in depth) 

3 hours ago, billfunk said:

I think not paying anything at all would be a massive break with the social contract. I can't imagine any party ever having the political capital to get that through parliament. 

£100 a week means no-one would be destitute. It would make everyone understand the true value of money and act accordingly. Minimum wage could be abolished. Productivity would sky rocket as people start to "jump".

It would also prolly be cheaper than running all the associated departments. 

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

I know a wise old guy aged 85.

I asked him what he would change about his life if he had a chance to do it again.

He said he would break every law to get ahead. Honesty doesn't pay. Crime does.

If I had my time again I'd get a job front-running currency trades in a major investment bank. It's an illegal but widespread activity with enormous gains and very little chance of getting caught. If you do get caught you get a slap on the wrist and the bank pays the fine for you and everyone carries on like before. 

It sure beats faking a back injury for an extra £30 a week from the DWP.