DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cazoo

spunko

spunko

Anyone brave enough to admit they bought any? :Geek:

Cazoo CEO Alex Chesterman has blamed the fall in Cazoo shares on an ‘irrational fear’ in the stock market.

After listing for $9.38 in August last year as the biggest ever Nasdaq debut for a British firm, the used car retailer closed 13 per cent down yesterday – or 86 per cent down on the original listing – for just $1.40 following its Q1 results yesterday.

I've always thought Chesterman was a charlatan, Zoopla was a direct copy of Zillow. Cazoo is a copy of Carvana.

spunko

LOVEFiLM was a copy of Netflix (back when it did DVDs by mail, anyone remember that?)

Netflixenvelope.jpg

• Love 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, spunko said:

LOVEFiLM was a copy of Netflix (back when it did DVDs by mail, anyone remember that?)

Netflixenvelope.jpg

I remember lovefilm, was bought by Amazon iirc.

Used to have the 2 or 3 disk package back in the day.

spunko
12 minutes ago, TNS said:

I remember lovefilm, was bought by Amazon iirc.

Used to have the 2 or 3 disk package back in the day.

It was vastly superior to the streaming crap of today in terms of range. You could get 95% of all the movies on it.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spunko said:

It was vastly superior to the streaming crap of today in terms of range. You could get 95% of all the movies on it.

Yeah, it was epic value compared to buying dvds at hmv, tesco, etc. I think it was around the time the likes of tesco used Guernsey and Jersey as loopholes.

• Agree 1

Don Coglione
On 04/05/2022 at 13:36, spunko said:

I've always thought Chesterman was a charlatan, Zoopla was a direct copy of Zillow. Cazoo is a copy of Carvana.

Cazoo was never going to make money, especially spunking (pardon me!) so much on advertising and branding. Funnily enough, I saw a new Cazoo artic delivery truck today. My only thought was "looks expensive".

Chewing Grass

Its the finance companies that win as it gives them more room to operate.

Straingone

I am hearing strong rumours in the industry surrounding the ongoing viability of Carzam , another online retailer although different insofar as it has physical outlets operating under a different brand.

24 minutes ago, Straingone said:

I am hearing strong rumours in the industry surrounding the ongoing viability of Carzam , another online retailer although different insofar as it has physical outlets operating under a different brand.

Isn't the problem with the whole second hand car market that BCA have managed to grab all the profit via it's ownership of We Buy Any Car?

• Agree 1

Straingone
3 minutes ago, eek said:

Isn't the problem with the whole second hand car market that BCA have managed to grab all the profit via it's ownership of We Buy Any Car?

That is one of the largest structural issues. It is only a matter of time before they go under the microscope, and is a huge wonder as to how they have managed to get such a large part of the supply chain without scrutiny. I personally am aware of a lot of unsound business practices which they are engaging in, the difficulty is as to how to disclose this information without your largest supplier effectively cutting your business off to the market. Saying that it only takes one disgruntled ex employee to spill the beans, and BCA have pissed off a lot of people in the industry in the last few years.

• Informative 2

Option5
Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2022 at 14:36, spunko said:

Carvana has cut down on staffing dramatically, they seem to be concentrating to the traditional auction business.

Sign of things to come?

https://techcrunch.com/2022/05/10/carvana-to-cut-2500-staff-as-it-struggles-with-overcapacity/amp/

Edited by Option5

• 2 weeks later...

Are the wheels beginning to fall off the online used car disruptors’ journey? Some motoring experts certainly seem to think so.

As rumours swirl in the national press that Carzam is looking for a buyer and Cazoo’s share price plummets by 82 per cent in nearly six months, the signs don’t exactly look positive.

And it’s not much better in the States, either.

Disruptor Carvana – the US-based used car dealer that sells cars out of vending machines – shed 2,500 jobs last week. 

The company is grappling with inflation and interest rate headwinds, falling consumer and investor confidence and a distinct lack of inventory.

Its share price is down 86 per cent in the past six months, too. But is this the end of the road?

‘These “disruptors” aren’t doing anything fundamentally different so I don’t really see them as disruptors at all,’ said Swansway Group director Peter Smyth.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/have-online-car-dealers-cazoo-cinch-and-carzam-already-had-their-day/263152

Is Alex Chesterton the anti democratic anti Brexit arse about to be outed as the big fat charlatan he is?

Edited by spunko