DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Queen's Speech: double council tax on second homes (predicted) - get in!

Frank Hovis

4 hours ago, spunko said:

If the Poll Tax were to be introduced today it would not be in the form of a fair "flat tax". It would be on a sliding scale meaning people with more expensive homes would have to pay more in both amount and percentage, similar to income tax.

That is the way this country is going, the politics of envy. This person has more than me, they can pay a higher rate.

There is increasingly little reward for being financially successful.

Agree with bolded bit but I think it's worse than that. Try

This person has stuff, I want their stuff.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Until the divorce.

Maybe people who get married should actually mean it when they stand up in church or wherever and declare till death do us part.

5 hours ago, spunko said:

If the Poll Tax were to be introduced today it would not be in the form of a fair "flat tax". It would be on a sliding scale meaning people with more expensive homes would have to pay more in both amount and percentage, similar to income tax.

Due to my life / history I have a flat in a South American city so  I pay council taxes.

There are seperate charges for

1. rubbish collection [7 days a week ca. 50 quid a year?], general council admin

2. a local security patrol - very visible and effective, that district is very safe and feels it.

3. local parks and gardens - flowers and borders everywhere well maintained.

But hey is the bloody third world we've got nowt to learn from them.

For UK, rubbish collection should be seperate and on a per capita basis.

Local police taxed seperately [pct of property value since good security adds value to real estate]

Education and social care should be part of  income tax / NI. Libdems used to campaign for local income tax, have they stopped? It effectively is anyway since central gov supplies 80-90% of dosh that councils spend. The local democracy and spending control BS is just BS.

Could probably add other things to this list.

Frank Hovis
6 minutes ago, BWW said:

Maybe people who get married should actually mean it when they stand up in church or wherever and declare till death do us part.

Yes, it was a fairly flip answer but to my mind anything that starts the ball rolling upon penalising second home owners / holiday lets is a good thing.

I'm sure that many people will find a way around it but with the principle set that second homes are a bad thing for an area then the legislation can steadily move to closing all of the loopholes.

I don't think that this a magic bullet; rather that it is the first shot of the battle.

Democorruptcy

Council tax is fiddling around the edges. They need to hurry up and apply a 100% Capital Gains Tax on any second home/holiday let sold, that used to be used for residential purposes. That's the way stop people trading homes as commodities. Though the council tax premium will be handy to help identify the houses when the CGT does comes in.

HousePriceMania
On 09/05/2022 at 10:52, spunko said:

That is the way this country is going, the politics of envy. This person has more than me, they can pay a higher rate.

There is increasingly little reward for being financially successful.

When I was at skool they used to say "Cheaters Never Win"  I tell my children, the cheaters all seem to be winning at the moment, so why should you be honest.  Bend and twist any rule you can.

As you say, there is no reward in the UK, so the solution has always been, take as much as you can and leave.

On 09/05/2022 at 22:31, Chewing Grass said:

That will be readily fiddleable  for cash, will be very easy and lucrative for the assessors.

So how do you find a crooked assessor?

8 hours ago, sarahbell said:

So how do you find a crooked assessor?

They get paid peanuts. I trained as an assessor and was ready to go before it became mandatory. We were being offered £120-00 per but that was quickly dropped to £60-00 as everyone and his dog got "qualified". To do a proper job it would take at least half a day. Try doing a eight bedroom farmhouse with an hour travel each way.

Managed to do about twenty assessments in the first six months and then gave up. 

Had a long chat with an assessor, three years ago, who came to assess FIL house. I paid him directly still only £60-00 (they also have to pay a fee for lodging the results). He said it was just impossible to make a living and he did it to top up a pension. He also informed me that many assessors had been cutting corners and not been doing it correctly and had to re do the qualification.

Just to add everything must be documented and some things photographed. So it would be easy to get caught out cheating.

With a crooked smile
47 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

He said it was just impossible to make a living and he did it to top up a pension

Interesting last time I had one done the person was semi retired and did assessments to keep him active and top up the pension. 

Uncle Buck Rogers
15 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Interesting last time I had one done the person was semi retired and did assessments to keep him active and top up the pension. 

This could be our "I'll work one day a week in Tesco's".

Useful to know and consider.

Archived