DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cyclists answer me this..

haroldshand

haroldshand

Am I the only one and I do the same in other areas such as jogging/running.

In the last few weeks I have had a little bit more time to train and upped it a little, but I get days like today when I want to go out of the door and do something but I just need to back off and drop a gear or two and relax as the thought of a hard training session has me "shall I go out or just miss this one", but a gentle 30-40 mile cycle and going slow and looking at the trees and sky and breathing well is a joy, then the demon gets to you and you start pushing, more so when someone overtakes you and smuggly says "afternoon".. c***.

Like today I was near to not going as yesterday was a good training session as the day before that and that is happening more as I get older. But a gentle cycle or a farlek run I rarely will back off them and at the end of the day it's still miles on the clock and good for you.

Something I really must work on

Chewing Grass

Don't think of it as training, just thing of it as going somewhere briskly.

Choose the route to get away from folk and perhaps set yourself a target for the month or year.

I find 3650 miles per year or 10 miles per day is a good balance, you can slack off if you want but then you have to focus again or you won't complete the challenge.

Forget fartleking, if you do the above it won't matter.

If somebody passes you just sit on their wheel until their eyes pop out of their heads, the givaway is when they get out of the saddle is the bike start swaying as they peddle.

Checking out the size of their calf muscles is also informative.

• Cheers 1

haroldshand
13 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Don't think of it as training, just thing of it as going somewhere briskly.

Choose the route to get away from folk and perhaps set yourself a target for the month or year.

I find 3650 miles per year or 10 miles per day is a good balance, you can slack off if you want but then you have to focus again or you won't complete the challenge.

Forget fartleking, if you do the above it won't matter.

If somebody passes you just sit on their wheel until their eyes pop out of their heads, the givaway is when they get out of the saddle is the bike start swaying as they peddle.

Checking out the size of their calf muscles is also informative.

I think my point I made badly is rather than be conditioned to push all the time(it's a head thing) and miss sessions I otherwise could have done I need to get it out of my mind that slow/er sessions are not helping because they are.

I just got back and more or less took it nice and easy and felt like I was on an out with my Grandad ride and  it was nice and enjoyable, and yet my Garmin data is not all that shocking now I am unloading the data.

Took the hills super slow today and you would seriously think in your head that you are hours later than normal, amazing that just say 2 mph(even 1 mph) average slower can make it feel like a country walk with Gran

stop_the_craziness
50 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

If somebody passes you just sit on their wheel until their eyes pop out of their heads, the givaway is when they get out of the saddle is the bike start swaying as they peddle......

..and they've got up into the mid 20s mph and realise you're still there at exactly the same distance behind.

For bonus points when they finally look back I like to be putting on my lipsalve or eating a piece of cake with one of my hands and just resting the other one in the centre of the bars.

I do not do this often.  Only when it needs to be done.  No need to be a cunt if someone is just faster than you and isn't making a point about it.

• Agree 1

One percent

Fucking hate cyclists. Entitled twats who think the own both the road and footpaths. Oh and pedestrian crossings. Cunts.  

• Love 1
  • Lol 1

stop_the_craziness

And now for a more constructive post on your actual training question.  Recovery rides are really, really important, as are Z1 fat burning and Z2 MAF.  And yes, most of us are hard-wired into that no pain no gain mindset but it really is bullshit.  A mixed programme is pretty much the only sensible way to improve, it's all about getting over yourself and your ego (as I didn't demonstrate at all in my last post!)

• Informative 1

stop_the_craziness
40 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

Took the hills super slow today and you would seriously think in your head that you are hours later than normal, amazing that just say 2 mph(even 1 mph) average slower can make it feel like a country walk with Gran

Yep, this is my experience too.  Unless you in an actual time trial where every second counts then going a couple of miles an hour slower seems insanely slow and then when you get back the difference is so much smaller than you think it's going to be.  And no one cares anyway :Old:

Democorruptcy
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Fucking hate cyclists. Entitled twats who think the own both the road and footpaths. Oh and pedestrian crossings. Cunts.  

I hope they all get a flat tyre, at least. I had to give way to one idiot trying to ride the coastal path yesterday. It crossed my mind to shove him off the path as he passed me. Unfortunately the drop wasn't steep enough there.

• Cheers 1

One percent
4 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I hope they all get a flat tyre, at least. I had to give way to one idiot trying to ride the coastal path yesterday. It crossed my mind to shove him off the path as he passed me. Unfortunately the drop wasn't steep enough there.

They appear to think they are superior to god.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

haroldshand
1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

And now for a more constructive post on your actual training question.  Recovery rides are really, really important, as are Z1 fat burning and Z2 MAF.  And yes, most of us are hard-wired into that no pain no gain mindset but it really is bullshit.  A mixed programme is pretty much the only sensible way to improve, it's all about getting over yourself and your ego (as I didn't demonstrate at all in my last post!)

I am managing it with my weight training, I am leaving my ego at the door and have dropped weights and doing more reps, and my joints are grateful for that as well. The only compromise is that I do big f*** off dead lifts for at least one 20 minutes session per week.

haroldshand
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Do you know what, I sometimes get pissed off with "some" cyclists as well, but in my experience on the roads and I cover a lot of mileage I have seen more dumb things by far from motorists in 1 ton death machines if not handled right.

You can  put all cyclists in a bracket if you want which seems dumb to me, but if we are working on generalisations I tend to find 90% of motorists considerate and slow down when needed on country roads(like I do) for children, people with pets, horses, old people, f*** it even young people where it is narrow and I am thinking whats the rush, just decent manners from most people.

Then you get the other 10% at a push, always seem to be angry types with timid women sat next to them at times(probably heard the rants before) who look overweight and ill and one pie away from a stroke or heart attack and probably just hating everything and everyone anyway, and half the time they are speeding and you wonder shame they cannot take the same approach to speeding their little chubby legs up and losing weight.

Personally I am not really a cyclist but I do triathlons so have to train somewhere, usually on the empty north Cambs road which are usually traffic free and yet it still pisses the odd motorist off who has bags of room.

I would seriously be careful with the "shoving off the path" which I dare say is yet more of your BS bravado, try pushing me on a bad day  and you are likely to have a screwdriver  through your neck

haroldshand
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Why are you even on this thread?

If you want to hate somewhere  go start a thread of your own and hate away to your heart content

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

nirvana
1 hour ago, One percent said:

They appear to think they are superior to god.  

yes us good ones are, next pleb? xD

• Lol 1

Democorruptcy
3 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I would seriously be careful with the "shoving off the path" which I dare say is yet more of your BS bravado, try pushing me on a bad day  and you are likely to have a screwdriver  through your neck

It's not a gunfight where we draw at the same time. I push you and you're down the cliff. If you were daft enough to try draw your screwdriver mid-air, you might impale yourself on it as you bounce down the cliff.

Anyway I was only backing @One percentup because she gets the most delicious pork pies. The cyclist yesterday was the first I'd seen on that section of the path and hopefully there won't be another there. It's not suitable.

• Agree 1

nirvana
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

i expected better from you, miserable fukker!!! On your bike now!!! :Old:

PS jokin of course, you're still one of my fav loons on dosbods :D

• Lol 1

Democorruptcy
Just now, nirvana said:

What kept you? I knew my post would draw you in!

It takes one to know one! :P

• Lol 1

nirvana
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Recovery rides are really, really important

what do you class as a 'recovery ride'? I do about 20km every day at a lazy pace but like yesterday when I went out with the club they're bombing along and we're doing 90km! It's interesting with this keto, cos I didn't 'bonk' as such but a few times my legs were totally fukked! And on that penultimate climb they were so 'gone' I nearly had to get off and push.....but 10 mins later I was making a dash to 'close the gap' :Jumping:

Screenshot_2022-05-08_20-28-46.png

Edited by nirvana

haroldshand
2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

Seriously, I don't put this down to just cycle hating with many people, there is something in the air in this country now where it's case of get out of my way your holding me up, anger anger anger everywhere and looking for the people that have wronged them.

I remember as a kid seeing hundreds heading for our local factory in the morning and in the evening totally holding the traffic up and not a mutter from anyone, kids biked everywhere for exercise in huge groups along with playing on roads

I see anyone who exercises, runs, swims, hikes or just strolls down the road or of cycles as doing a positive thing in so many ways, but their health is right up there, how can you hate that attitude.

Maybe people are more stressed these days, that I can understand

• Cheers 1

nirvana

it's not just the UK harold, it's everywhere, again I'm sure those in power are using it to divide us.....motorists vs cyclists

the SUVs are worst now......I'm close to tracking some cunt down in a car park and stoving their door in with my boot.....

in fact there's a couple of em on my list already 

Stuey
14 hours ago, haroldshand said:

I am managing it with my weight training, I am leaving my ego at the door and have dropped weights and doing more reps, and my joints are grateful for that as well. The only compromise is that I do big f*** off dead lifts for at least one 20 minutes session per week.

I leave my ego in the car park and still do heavy weighted pull ups +20kg

B|

• Love 1
  • Cheers 1

Some people do have a rather strange completely irrational hatred of all people who happen to get on a bike. 

I've no idea where it comes from. 

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
40 minutes ago, ccc said:

Some people do have a rather strange completely irrational hatred of all people who happen to get on a bike. 

I've no idea where it comes from. 

They are unbalanced.

• Agree 1

snaga

I'm much the same with running, yesterday I just went for an easy 2 hour run in sparsely occupied countryside, very enjoyable, I'd have liked to keep going but time pressures ... I don't consider it training, but a leisure activity that I enjoy.

Then I immediately load up strava to see how the spits compared with the last time I ran the same route :)

Reckoner
On 08/05/2022 at 16:04, haroldshand said:

Am I the only one and I do the same in other areas such as jogging/running.

In the last few weeks I have had a little bit more time to train and upped it a little, but I get days like today when I want to go out of the door and do something but I just need to back off and drop a gear or two and relax as the thought of a hard training session has me "shall I go out or just miss this one", but a gentle 30-40 mile cycle and going slow and looking at the trees and sky and breathing well is a joy, then the demon gets to you and you start pushing, more so when someone overtakes you and smuggly says "afternoon".. c***.

Like today I was near to not going as yesterday was a good training session as the day before that and that is happening more as I get older. But a gentle cycle or a farlek run I rarely will back off them and at the end of the day it's still miles on the clock and good for you.

Something I really must work on

What is it that you are training for ?

haroldshand
13 hours ago, Reckoner said:

What is it that you are training for ?

Just keeping a good level at the moment and not over doing things, thinking of doing a half Ironman at the end of this season, but shall see