DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wim Hof?..Why not?!

MrXxxx

MrXxxx

OK inspired by an article on the radio the other week about the Wim Hof technique [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof] I decided to try a cold shower regime; there are meant to be benefits for improving your immunity/immune system and this is why I decided to give it a go. I have been showering as normal and then at the end GRADUALLY turn the temperature control/mixer towards the cold/just bearable point in steps, and showering at this point for at least 30 seconds; yes I count to take my mind off the cold. I then finish off by turning it right to the cold and standing there for as long as I could stand it; usually seconds before 'bottling out'. The cold initially 'takes your breath away', so you have to try to control/slow down your breathing a little to avoid the gasping/hyperventilating a bit.

So what have I found?...over the space of two weeks I have managed to increase my tolerance to the point now where I can maintain the coldest setting for as long as I like. Have I improved my immune response?...I don't know, but what I have found is that it has helped me start the day better. I usually wake with a sluggish/tired response, but after having the modified shower I feel revitalized, more than if I just had a normal [warm/hot] shower. I have also found that it has helped my skin 'firmness' when doing a period of fasting. You may like to consider it, but be guided by you own health issues.

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all

Yeah, have considered trying this, as cold water immersion is definitely stimulating. However don't know if I'm brave enough to do it combined with fasting, as that always makes me feel a bit cold.

But wtf is "skin firmness", that sounds like something from a women's magazine?

snaga
Posted (edited)

I've read that the benefits from cold showers etc came from shivering. Shivering releases hormones that can actually convert "white fat" to "brown fat". Brown fat contains mitochondria so the fat cells can convert fat to energy in situ and is used for thermo regulation. This is very good for the metabolism and health in general, and negates the need for fat to be transported to mitochondria to be utilised.

The problem is, when you become acclimatised to the cold, you don't shiver so don't get the same benefits, so have to keep going to more cold extremes.

If you're going to have a cold shower, one method is to keep stepping out of the cold water, this often triggers a shiver, then get back under the water, repeat several times.

I say fuck that, and soak in a steaming hot bath, have you heard of the benefits of hot baths and saunas?

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Cosmic
4 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

OK inspired by an article on the radio the other week about the Wim Hof technique [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof] I decided to try a cold shower regime; there are meant to be benefits for improving your immunity/immune system and this is why I decided to give it a go. I have been showering as normal and then at the end GRADUALLY turn the temperature control/mixer towards the cold/just bearable point in steps, and showering at this point for at least 30 seconds; yes I count to take my mind off the cold. I then finish off by turning it right to the cold and standing there for as long as I could stand it; usually seconds before 'bottling out'. The cold initially 'takes your breath away', so you have to try to control/slow down your breathing a little to avoid the gasping/hyperventilating a bit.

So what have I found?...over the space of two weeks I have managed to increase my tolerance to the point now where I can maintain the coldest setting for as long as I like. Have I improved my immune response?...I don't know, but what I have found is that it has helped me start the day better. I usually wake with a sluggish/tired response, but after having the modified shower I feel revitalized, more than if I just had a normal [warm/hot] shower. I have also found that it has helped my skin 'firmness' when doing a period of fasting. You may like to consider it, but be guided by you own health issues.

Started doing it mainly as an antidote to standing there in the warm water for ages! Wash my hair in warm then straight to cold for a soap down, and done. In hot water I'd take my time and could easily be 15mins in the shower.

Certainly wakes you up... can I do it straight to cold? No, it hurts my head. Can I do it when the air temp/room temp is much lower in Winter? We'll find out. Do I see anything immediate as a benefit other than time/energy saving? Minimal/none so far.

MrXxxx
10 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

But wtf is "skin firmness", that sounds like something from a women's magazine?

:-))))...well its a kind of saggy skin, cellulite you get when you are older..obviously you are too young to worry! :-)))..Ditto, the coldness when fasting, I get that too, obviously not enough fat on my to keep me warm!

Bear Hug

You will not use heating and you'll be happy... Could be a useful skill for the future. 

• Agree 3

Took his mini course in January and been doing it since then.  I did the shower thing very gradually, started with my regular temp. and then turned it a bit lower, the next week started on a lower temp...and so on.  Now, I shower in tepid water, then switch to whatever temp. comes out of the mains.  The gradual adjustment was essential for me.  Also if you breathe out long at the first shock and inhale slowly as well during the duration of the cold exposure.

I've not managed to improve on the breath holding at all.  People talk on forums about holding their breath out for 3 minutes, I get nowhere near it.

Pros:- wakes you up, not had a cold for a while, good thing to be learn to cope with a stressor like cold water, toughens you up

Cons:- my eczema flared up as it dried my skin up too much

Thoughts:-

Letting my skin rest up, not showering so much..

I might try the systema ( Russian martial art) practice of dumping bucket of cold water on head twice a day and what that does.

Still in the market for learning tummo..as survival practice..high energy prices/shortages

Another benefit of such things may be improved circulation. I came across 'contrast bathing' the other day while listening to a sport related podcast where they recommend it for sore ankles/feet where there is limited blood flow so the warm/cold water switching stimulates the veins to close/open so blood flows better.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

33 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Another benefit of such things may be improved circulation. I came across 'contrast bathing' the other day while listening to a sport related podcast where they recommend it for sore ankles/feet where there is limited blood flow so the warm/cold water switching stimulates the veins to close/open so blood flows better.

Salt does the same trick - if you're lean enough you'll notice your veins "popping"...

Dogtania

I have at least one cold shower a day - usually 30 secs but sometimes a few minutes (after hot).  I do think it's a good thing - stressing your body slightly.  Seems like there are only potential benefits.  I would guess full body immersion, like in the bath is better but a bit wasteful.  Would love to try an ice bath.  Even better somewhere like Norway and similar where a sauna is often set up to use straight after.

I don't cold shower my head though, not sure my brain and skull needs more stress.  

Planning on trying some outdoor swimming for the first time this year  I definitely think there are benefits - and at least I feel refreshed.  I had an aunt that lived fit healthy and independent basically up to a some mid 90 age, she was swimming in her 70's in the sea daily in Scotland. 

I was doing his breathing stuff for a while too.  Should start up again just need to be disciplined with.  Looking at him certainly sells it

12 hours ago, Dogtania said:

I have at least one cold shower a day - usually 30 secs but sometimes a few minutes (after hot).  I do think it's a good thing - stressing your body slightly.  Seems like there are only potential benefits.  I would guess full body immersion, like in the bath is better but a bit wasteful.  Would love to try an ice bath.  Even better somewhere like Norway and similar where a sauna is often set up to use straight after.

I don't cold shower my head though, not sure my brain and skull needs more stress.  

Planning on trying some outdoor swimming for the first time this year  I definitely think there are benefits - and at least I feel refreshed.  I had an aunt that lived fit healthy and independent basically up to a some mid 90 age, she was swimming in her 70's in the sea daily in Scotland. 

I was doing his breathing stuff for a while too.  Should start up again just need to be disciplined with.  Looking at him certainly sells it

My gran is mid 90s and she doesn't swim or any other 'this will prolong your life' stuff, just drinks like a fish (wine and brandy) so is perhaps pickled. I presume alcohol acts as a blood thinner so perhaps has helped her avoid strokes and other health threats relating to ageing and blood supply.

So do stuff because you enjoy it and any real health benefits are a bonus as they can't be relied upon.

Dogtania
46 minutes ago, BoSon said:

My gran is mid 90s and she doesn't swim or any other 'this will prolong your life' stuff, just drinks like a fish (wine and brandy) so is perhaps pickled. I presume alcohol acts as a blood thinner so perhaps has helped her avoid strokes and other health threats relating to ageing and blood supply.

So do stuff because you enjoy it and any real health benefits are a bonus as they can't be relied upon.

Yes don't force anything.  That aunt was actually a great aunt and pretty old even when I was young.  I think she was on less medication than most for her age but had other habits like chewing her food a hundred times.  My dad whilst now saying he'd be quite happy to go and indeed falling apart still drinks a good bit of red wine daily which may well have kept him more healthy than not, either way he's enjoyed doing so which is perhaps the important thing.