• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Dosbods wine club

Ok, I thought a separate thread for this.

the first wine for tasting.  Have we to spend the week getting hold of a bottle and then adding our thoughts here.  Then we can suggest another for next Friday. 

need to add the wine.  Didn't copy correctly.  I will be right back with it

http://www.waitrosecellar.com/all-wines/triade-rosso

Edited by One percent

2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

What's an Essex girl's favourite wine?

<Whiny voice>I wanna go to Lakeside.</Whiny voice>

I was gonna say "Dywaaaaaaaayne"!

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I don't know a lot about wine. But seemingly the better wines use a cork and the cheaper wines have a screw top. You'll be able to impress your friends with that nugget of information :)

:D

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I don't know a lot about wine. But seemingly the better wines use a cork and the cheaper wines have a screw top. You'll be able to impress your friends with that nugget of information :)

This weeks wine of the week has a screw top, as does Buckfast, so you are wrong. 

I think.

:Geek:

Just been on a booze cruise to e leclerc near Le Toucquet.  Loads of Chateau Cardboardeux at bargain prices.  Will be joining in however. What time are we kicking off?

16 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

This weeks wine of the week has a screw top, as does Buckfast, so you are wrong. 

I think.

:Geek:

Yep screw tops more and more widely used in good wines especially New World wines. Screw tops are close to 100% reliable so cheaper - bottles with natural corks get tainted a bit more frequently.

16 minutes ago, Ina said:

Just been on a booze cruise to e leclerc near Le Toucquet.  Loads of Chateau Cardboardeux at bargain prices.  Will be joining in however. What time are we kicking off?

Are we doing it together or over the week posting notes as we go?

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are we doing it together or over the week posting notes as we go?

I'm keen on us all doing it together if possible, next Friday? 

24 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Yep screw tops more and more widely used in good wines especially New World wines. Screw tops are close to 100% reliable so cheaper - bottles with natural corks get tainted a bit more frequently.

That's all good but I kinda like the idea of a cork, a real cork too, not a plastic thing.

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the last eight words

This wine I just noticed is from Waitrose... I'm gonna have to stand outside and try to get a posh person to go in for me!

£8.79 and it sounds shit :

"This wonderful blend of southern Italian red grape varieties has spicy red fruit flavours and attractive aromas of liquorice and rich coffee"

Liquorice and coffee, two shit flavours. 

I'll try to be less damning on the tasting day if I manage to get a bottle, it's gonna cost me a tenner by the time the posho takes their cut!

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding much pish

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm keen on us all doing it together if possible, next Friday? 

That's all good but I kinda like the idea of a cork.

Makes sense - I  do too. My head says screw tops, but I like removing the cork, sniffing it, all that pointless crap.

It's a ritual, and we humans like them. Rolling a joint, making a pot of tea, we've all got them.

59 minutes ago, shindigger said:

:D

Mate of mine got a Pepsi in a white, red and blue can, complete with fully detachable ring pull, in a newsagents in Wembley circa 2000. Spitting it out after one mouthful didn't save him from being as sick as a dog for several days. Later research suggested it was from the 1980s.

7 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Makes sense - I  do too. My head says screw tops, but I like removing the cork, sniffing it, all that pointless crap.

It's a ritual, and we humans like them. Rolling a joint, making a pot of tea, we've all got them.

Yeah, they are comforting and to me, a big part of the whole thing. I'm willing to accept I may get a corked bottle from time to time.

If thing thing is still going at Christmas/New year we could do a couple of sparkling wines, Frank can suggest one or two maybe then.

:CryBaby::CryBaby::CryBaby:

I’m triggered now because I’m a teetotal reformed alcoholic so I’m left out of this thread.

Just joking!

One thing I’ll never understand is selecting wine or any alcohol by taste. My wine selection method was scanning the litre bottles or wine boxes for alcohol content....nothing less than 11% vol was any good.

It’s a good idea for a thread.

I’m looking forward to some Sgt Hartman type posts with good descriptions of the wine, like these ones:-

https://sillyside.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/five-funny-wine-tasting-notes/