DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Thinking of upping my salt intake

haroldshand

haroldshand

I rarely eat processed and conditioned myself now to put very little if any salt in my cooking and have done this for years.

I also train hard and though I am conscious of minerals and electrolytes I have just had someone put a thought in my head where my salt intake these days might be too low and part of the reason I am not rehydrating  as well as I could be and why my aches seem worse than other people I train with, and yes I drink plenty of water but it seems that's not the full story

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Yep just glugging water isn't hydrating as it's all about the water/electrolyte balance in the body, so the kidneys eject electrolytes if not enough water (darker colour urine) and eject water if not enough electrolytes (clear urine) so somewhere in the middle (pale straw colour urine) is the target.

I got some cheap electrolyte tablets off amazon to take when not been doing so during exercise via other supplements or good old table sugar and salted water for on the go. The sugar gives some quick carbs and makes the salt more palatable, tastes like that sweet and salty popcorn.

Some buy tailwind and other similar brands which may give a broader coverage of electrolytes but during exercise the stuff lost through sweat is mostly covered by table salt so no need to pay over the odds for the marketing bollocks. xD

Edited by BoSon
  • Informative 1

My best workouts are the morning after an evening meal including (any kind of) beef and at least 5g of salt. It has a similar effect to creatine of forcing water into mussels. 

• Informative 1

For longer efforts I drink to thirst and if needing to pee soon after then the water intake is too much for the sweat rate. I laugh when people are chugging litres of water over a few hours then needing to pee all the time as their body is just ejecting it. The kidneys can also only process about 1 litre a hour IIRC so drinking more is just adding to any stomach issues (bloating) on top of any food that's sloshing about while going through the long slow digestion process.

As I'm not elite or even really racing anything I do I don't care about being a bit dehydrated, where those wanting to compete have to manage it more closely as it affects performance due to blood volume reduction causing higher heart rate for the same physical effort.

• Informative 1

haroldshand
18 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Yep just glugging water isn't hydrating as it's all about the water/electrolyte balance in the body, so the kidneys eject electrolytes if not enough water (darker colour urine) and eject water if not enough electrolytes (clear urine) so somewhere in the middle (pale straw colour urine) is the target.

I got some cheap electrolyte tablets off amazon to take when not been doing so during exercise via other supplements or good old table sugar and salted water for on the go. The sugar gives some quick carbs and makes the salt more palatable, tastes like that sweet and salty popcorn.

Some buy tailwind and other similar brands which may give a broader coverage of electrolytes but during exercise the stuff lost through sweat is mostly covered by table salt so no need to pay over the odds for the marketing bollocks. xD

Yep that is more a less what I been told just lately

You really think you know it all then someone comes along and rewrites your plan/s:)

Had late poached eggs and GI bread today and a massive pinch of salt for the first time, also have a slow cooker stew on the go and a teaspoon went into that as well

2 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

Yep that is more a less what I been told just lately

You really think you know it all then someone comes along and rewrites your plan/s:)

Had late poached eggs and GI bread today and a massive pinch of salt for the first time, also have a slow cooker stew on the go and a teaspoon went into that as well

A teaspoon per person/portion I hope!

Rick Stein used to always be apologising to the salt police on his cooking shows..When I watched TV...

haroldshand
26 minutes ago, Stuey said:

A teaspoon per person/portion I hope!

Rick Stein used to always be apologising to the salt police on his cooking shows..When I watched TV...

No, that seems excessive, but I will play it by ear and see how I go

Dogtania

I don't see salt as much of a problem especially if you are exercising.  It's definitely essential though and you will suffer without.  When younger and doing more intensive stuff often was suggested to add a bit of salt to whatever water/juice we were drinking.  Also on all the runs I do, mainly 5/6km but up to 10km I'll never carry water.  Just never seen the point - I remember a friend starting up running (for a few weeks) something like 20 or 30 minutes pretty slow, well he bought one of those back packs with straws lol.  Even an hour of heavy sweating I'll manage without.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Our bodies know if we do/don't need salt.

Half a tsp of salt in a glass of water. If you really need salt, it will taste on the sweet side. A bit like coconut milk. If it tastes Yuk! Salty! then your body already has enough salt.

As well as sodium from table salt, potassium and magnesium are needed. Lo-Salt is 50/50 potassium and sodium. Magnesium can be had from Andrews Health Salts.

I use Pink Himalayan salt, which is supposed to have every mineral in it. (Including uranium?)

What I have noticed is that too much coffee can cause muscle cramps. Said to be the coffee stripping out magnesium. Might well be true as I get less cramps from drinking coffee if I take Andrews Salts daily.

4 hours ago, jm51 said:

Half a tsp of salt in a glass of water. If you really need salt, it will taste on the sweet side. A bit like coconut milk. If it tastes Yuk! Salty! then your body already has enough salt.

As well as sodium from table salt, potassium and magnesium are needed. Lo-Salt is 50/50 potassium and sodium. Magnesium can be had from Andrews Health Salts.

I use Pink Himalayan salt, which is supposed to have every mineral in it. (Including uranium?)

What I have noticed is that too much coffee can cause muscle cramps. Said to be the coffee stripping out magnesium. Might well be true as I get less cramps from drinking coffee if I take Andrews Salts daily.

Fewer o.O

I can't train anywhere near as well if I'm not caffeinated. I have a heaped tablespoon plus a bit of coffee granules at ~5am prior to training. It also helps with keeping regular... @nirvana

nirvana
13 hours ago, Stuey said:

It also helps with keeping regular... @nirvana

I had to rush into a supermarket yesterday and do a massive dump o.O

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

4 minutes ago, nirvana said:

Those are some of the worst bogs as well...

nirvana
13 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Those are some of the worst bogs as well...

the lock was knackered so I was ready to shout 'sacre bleu! j'arrive!' xD

haroldshand
20 hours ago, jm51 said:

I did that yesterday and have now discovered a great post cycle drink after heavy sweating. I use my favourite cold carbonated water and apple cider vinegar with ginger and then I put a some salt in it as well, it tuned out to really refreshing 

haroldshand
16 hours ago, Stuey said:

Fewer o.O

I can't train anywhere near as well if I'm not caffeinated. I have a heaped tablespoon plus a bit of coffee granules at ~5am prior to training. It also helps with keeping regular... @nirvana

I quite often load up with coffee pre cycle, I did yesterday and had a great 30 mile ride. Started doing it with my weights as well but not as much, had my best dead lift session in ages this week. Could also be the salt increase, noticed my cycle yesterday was not push myself to exhaustion hard but I averaged 17 mph which is good for me and the course was hilly and my Gamin only said I was only low impacting 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, SNACR said:

When I exercise I always take a huge dose of just getting on with it without a load of pointless extraneous bollocks.

My bet with you is that you have zero understanding or input to give to this thread and subject except the fact you like following me about and making a c*** of yourself all the time. What I am talking about is people that cycle anything up to a 100 miles in a day, run 15 mile training runs and swim and go to the gym etc where electrolytes is not helpful but vital and ever dangerous if you ignore it.

Not someone  probably like yourself who struggles to get in his baggy massive Y fronts in the morning and thinks exercise is walking around a fountain pen convention to then dash home to go through a sweaty spit roasting session with XYY and his equally grubby drunken friend.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

4 hours ago, haroldshand said:

My bet with you is that you have zero understanding or input to give to this thread and subject except the fact you like following me about and making a c*** of yourself all the time. What I am talking about is people that cycle anything up to a 100 miles in a day, run 15 mile training runs and swim and go to the gym etc where electrolytes is not helpful but vital and ever dangerous if you ignore it.

Not someone  probably like yourself who struggles to get in his baggy massive Y fronts in the morning and thinks exercise is walking around a fountain pen convention to then dash home to go through a sweaty spit roasting session with XYY and his equally grubby drunken friend.

You ought to have learned by now that gambling’s not for you.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

You ought to have learned by now that gambling’s not for you.

And as usual I have no do idea what you are whittling on about.

You are the weirdest little man, personally I probably have no interest in 99% of the threads on this website so I just stay away and let people converse in something that obviously  does interest them. I find zero need to butt in and tell them all that  I am uninterested in what they are talking about, too me that just seems self absorbed and showing up damaged person.

You really do come across as quite dark

Uncle Buck Rogers
On 15/05/2022 at 07:47, nirvana said:

Does this link in with the thread titled 'cleanup on Aisle 3'?

• Lol 1