DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Hayter mower spring / grass collector query

spunko

Question

spunko

Quite hard to explain this without photos but if nobody can understand what I mean then I'll take a few photos tomorrow...

Basically imagine your average petrol lawnmower, when you take the cuttings box off to empty it, there's a large flap on some models that then flips down. It's normally under tension from a spring.

I had a few too many beers last weekend and decided to mow the lawn - I ended up pushing this  flap too far back on itself and there was this big crack sound.  The tension spring must have come loose, it is just sitting there now and neither end is connected to anything... Anyone know to reattach it so that the flap is tensioned again?

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 19-27-48 compensating spring grass collector - Google Search.png

3 answers to this question

spunko

You can see the spring here, it's below the yellow label. Doesn't look like it's attached to anything though :S

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 19-29-36 hayter spirit 41 - Google Search.png

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 19-30-36 hayter spirit 41 - Google Search.png

If you look at the back of the flap is there a pocket the bent end goes in? 

Sometimes you will get an exploded diagram of the parts and where they fit. Can usually find on a main dealers website as they will sell spare parts.

• Agree 1

spunko
Posted (edited)

I think I've figured it out. You have to take the horizontal metal bar off (it's held in place with an M9 type bolt at each end) then loop one end of the coil under it. Then re-attach. Once I can find my socket set I'll report back :Old:

Edited by spunko
  • Cheers 1