• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Frank v Pin - battle for the emissions virtue signal!

I've never owned a diesel car. I've rented them. They are pretty good really now. The reason is I don't do enough miles. I also think petrol engines are less trouble, although I make special exceptions for SAAB, Skoda, and Cadillac, which died on me

8 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Only called the thread this because from memory Frank has recent diesel carss and Pinny drives old petrols. Which is what get compared here.....

New diesels get a pasting as well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-41640746

I just could not read that, in that format.

Also that BBC tone was already starting to jar after about three lines.

6 minutes ago, eight said:

Was going to say the same, utter shit. 

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I've never owned a diesel car. I've rented them. They are pretty good really now. The reason is I don't do enough miles. I also think petrol engines are less trouble, although I make special exceptions for SAAB, Skoda, and Cadillac, which died on me

I had my first diesel daily driver a while ago (still a V8) and have to say I wouldn't readily got back to petrol if anything slightly prefer it in any circumstances apart from idle where despite masses of noise insulation in the engine bay you still get a bit of diesel clatter make it through to the cabin. Diesels don't seems to need the rebuilds petrols do or suffer from the block or liner issues. There were teething problems when high pressure common rail fuel systems came in.

10 minutes ago, eight said:

Actually, the second sentence is factually incorrect

Every summer we would drive to France, taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre.

What the young Tom actually actually did was "Every summer we would drive to Portsmouth and take the ferry to Le Havre in France.

How can you believe the rest of the article ?

Edited by Hopeful

9 minutes ago, eight said:

The only thing I took from it is Tom's dad must have been cryogenically frozen for several decades between the 1980s and now.

The reason I bought the LS, is the Cadillac died, and my job was looking uncertain, so I went for cheap, as I did not want a loan. I had a previous LS, and it was relatively trouble free, so it was a good bet. Yes, some bits don't work.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

The reason I bought the LS, is the Cadillac died, and my job was looking uncertain, so I went for cheap, as I did not want a loan. I had a previous LS, and it was relatively trouble free, so it was a good bet. Yes, some bits don't work.

Is the colour scheme the main thing that doesn't work?

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Is the colour scheme the main thing that doesn't work?

Yes, I don't like the colour. But it had only 70000 miles and two owners from new.

Dragging this back to the OP....

The article said that not only is his dad's 09 diesel (same year as mine) less polluting in real life than a 23 year old petrol it is also less polluting than a brand new diesel because car makers have become much cleverer at gaming the test systems.

The regulators / policy makers are being as dimwitted now as Prescott / Brown when they tried to push everyone into diesels and then had scrappage.

I sometimes wonder if having a short attention span and limited intellect is a prerequisite for a career in politics.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The article said that not only is his dad's 09 diesel (same year as mine) less polluting in real life than a 23 year old petrol it is also less polluting than a brand new diesel because car makers have become much cleverer at gaming the test systems.

The regulators / policy makers are being as dimwitted now as Prescott / Brown when they tried to push everyone into diesels and then had scrappage.

I sometimes wonder if having a short attention span and limited intellect is a prerequisite for a career in politics.

Yes, hopefully you will be some NED on the board of some Government funded company, before nobody votes for you!

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Damn I knew I should have studied for a PPE.

7 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Frank v Pin...?

Now there's a Sky Sports "pay-per-view" event that I might actually pay twenty quid for...!

;)

XYY

What? A handbag fight?

40 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Frank v Pin...?

Now there's a Sky Sports "pay-per-view" event that I might actually pay twenty quid for...!

;)

XYY

Gerraway, I'm not fighting Nosferatu unless it's broad daylight with no clouds that might obscure the sun.

7 minutes ago, Byron said:

So, what about wood burning stoves?

That's no way to refer to diesel Volvos.