DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Registration Number Auctions

Democorruptcy

Option5
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Anyone with a private number plate is a complete tosser. That is all. 

FU 2 Z9rUDLf.jpg.7a6bfc472e03cbb2c3de76867b8db138.jpg:PissedOff:

Edited by Option5
  • Love 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, One percent said:

How about having a matching pair?

VeryMeanReversion
1 hour ago, One percent said:

I have four.

You are completely correct.

• Love 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Double tosser.  :)

I can live with that. At least they aren't on an EV or I would be a total wanker.

• Cheers 1

My neighbour has four cars all with with the family initials. They're a nice bunch so I don't think makes you an automatic tosser 😂. Speaking of wankers I did see a blue Clio the other day that essentially had the plate WANKER, can't recall the exact numbers. No idea how they got that one through

markyh
23 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I can live with that. At least they aren't on an EV or I would be a total wanker.

x1 xxx and x2 xxx , cost me £1400 for both in March, one is on the Model 3 , the other will go on the Model Y in September. 

Gloommonger
2 minutes ago, A_P said:

My neighbour has four cars all with with the family initials. They're a nice bunch so I don't think makes you an automatic tosser 😂. Speaking of wankers I did see a blue Clio the other day that essentially had the plate WANKER, can't recall the exact numbers. No idea how they got that one through

In the US you used to be able to register your own plate as long as it was unique and not offensive. Mate of mine living in Vegas registered Wanker as it's not a word in the States.

• Lol 1

1 minute ago, Gloommonger said:

In the US you used to be able to register your own plate as long as it was unique and not offensive. Mate of mine living in Vegas registered Wanker as it's not a word in the States.

@JoeDavola

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Wight Flight
14 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

You still can. I walked past JRM today. Asked son what it worth. $60 to register it and apparently no trading market, though he might be ignorant on that front.

Wight Flight
17 minutes ago, markyh said:

x1 xxx and x2 xxx , cost me £1400 for both in March, one is on the Model 3 , the other will go on the Model Y in September. 

Too many x's for proper posing. And in the wrong order.

markyh
10 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Too many x's for proper posing. And in the wrong order.

The 2 plates are identical apart from the numbers and the "xxx" spell a word, not well known in British English, but rude. ;) .  they were only £1000 (1) and £400 (2) but they look cool, and easy to remember. 

leonardratso

theyre great - makes it easier to remember for when i get home and see if they are taxed or not then report them.

I did get an imported car with "vanity plates" once. It was somebody else's initials, and it didn't cost me any extra. I suppose I could have changed my name to match?:S

nirvana
10 hours ago, One percent said:

all number plates are 'private'......uk number plates look wank though.....except for 5 digits or less, especially when you've bought em for fuk all :P

markyh
34 minutes ago, nirvana said:

all number plates are 'private'......uk number plates look wank though.....except for 5 digits or less, especially when you've bought em for fuk all :P

Agree, i wasn't going buy private plates unless it spelt a word that had wordplay, and was only 5 digits.  4 digits or less the price gets silly. 

spunko
Posted (edited)

I'd get a private plate in an instant if a) they were £100 and b) you didn't have to get 5PUN12NK0 or some other ridiculous combination that nobody understands or cares about.

You can get lucky sometimes and get a decent cheapy one if you have a short name but alas I don't.

Edited by spunko

Wight Flight

It amuses me that my plate is worth 10x the value of my car. And appreciates more than the car depreciates.

spunko
32 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

It amuses me that my plate is worth 10x the value of my car. And appreciates more than the car depreciates.

I wouldn't let it amuse you too much. A lot of .com domain hoarders used to smugly sit on their domain name, watching it 'appreciate' (on paper) and waiting for the day it sold for millions.

Then along came ICANN and released 450+ (and counting) new .TLDs like .dog, .car, .app -- the price of traditional .com domains has gone through the floor as a result.

The same may perhaps happen to GB number plates, there's occasional talk of us adopting the US system of being able to register practically anything. Suddenly J28MES looks very shit when compared with JAMES. Nowadays ANPR cameras can read anything; the argument that they need to be standardised  so that a camera can read them is nonsense. The only reason it continues unchanged is money: DVLA makes lots of money from selling number plates. If their boffins did the maths and realised they could make even more money from opening up the system, they would. But it being a public service, the boffins can't be bovvered.

The .com hoarders didn't think their nest egg would plummet in value either...

• Informative 1

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I wouldn't let it amuse you too much. A lot of .com domain hoarders used to smugly sit on their domain name, watching it 'appreciate' (on paper) and waiting for the day it sold for millions.

Then along came ICANN and released 450+ (and counting) new .TLDs like .dog, .car, .app -- the price of traditional .com domains has gone through the floor as a result.

The same may perhaps happen to GB number plates, there's occasional talk of us adopting the US system of being able to register practically anything. Suddenly J28MES looks very shit when compared with JAMES. Nowadays ANPR cameras can read anything; the argument that they need to be standardised  so that a camera can read them is nonsense. The only reason it continues unchanged is money: DVLA makes lots of money from selling number plates. If their boffins did the maths and realised they could make even more money from opening up the system, they would. But it being a public service, the boffins can't be bovvered.

The .com hoarders didn't think their nest egg would plummet in value either...

Don't worry - I am not relying on it for my pension. And they aren't exactly a liquid investment. But they do make an old car look much better.

• Informative 1

belfastchild
8 hours ago, MrPin said:

I did get an imported car with "vanity plates" once. It was somebody else's initials, and it didn't cost me any extra. I suppose I could have changed my name to match?:S

One of my cars has my initials in it. Didnt pay anything other than first reg (NI plates).
Holding off re-reg to NI plates on the camper until my initials come round again in another county. Was going to do it anyway (brexit etc) but saw the numbers change, they are going up a lot slower than they used to!

spunko
37 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Don't worry - I am not relying on it for my pension. And they aren't exactly a liquid investment. But they do make an old car look much better.

Ah. A lot of people with private plates seem to think of them 'as safe as houses' in terms of investment. But they never sell. It's a bit odd.