• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Best of 2017

What's caught your ear this year then.. the best of 2017. *Must be from this year*

I don't listen to new stuff as much as I used to but here's what I've heard. As I'm into Italian a lot of the stuff I hear is from there.

Starting off with The National - a mix of genres, experimental, echoes of so many other things.

The National - Day I Die

.. and..

The National - The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

Moving to rock-pop, this is my all-time favourite group and this is fantastic pop. Sadly there's no official upload, only a video taken on a mobile. 

TheGiornalisti - Without (live) - girl is leaving, breakup, actually, the lyrics are quite sad

Ok, so to dance and pop music, and this corking Latino-style pop tune with a sort of 1990s Motiv8-mixed piano chorus.

Sigala and Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love

Moving on to pop - of the flawless Italian cheesy type with a brilliant video.

Francesco Gabbani - Pachyderms and Parrots

Finally, for some novelty this guy is brilliant. All you need to know is that the young guy has had platinum hits and in this one the older guy is a well-known Italian actor and celebrity. They even got Gennario from "Gomorrah" to appear in it.

Fabio Rovazzi featuring Gianni Morandi - Fly (refrain: mi fa volare = "It makes me fly")

I reckon you lot can do better..

56 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'll probably get a slagging for this but I love Morrissey's new single:

There are some great lyrics in that one. Morrissey is trying to educate the brainwashed. Coming to think of it, surprised that BBC Radio 2 are playing it regularly!

1 minute ago, UmBongo said:

There are some great lyrics in that one. Morrissey is trying to educate the brainwashed. Coming to think of it, surprised that BBC Radio 2 are playing it regularly!

I like to think he's trolling the So-Called BBC .... on the So-Called BBC.

The 1980s are back - this one has piano sequences that really remind me of the New Romantic stuff with a Stock-Aitken-Waterman disco-inspired backbeat while also managing to sound like one of those big film scores from that decade.

Biagio Antonacci - In the Middle of the World

12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

The 1980s are back - this one has piano sequences that really remind me of the New Romantic stuff with a Stock-Aitken-Waterman disco-inspired backbeat while also managing to sound like one of those big film scores from that decade.

Biagio Antonacci - In the Middle of the World

Eighties video shop was very nostalgic probably only made possible by hoarders.

'Dead Man Walking' seemed jarringly out of place as a 1995 release though.

Edited by SNACR

20 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Eighties video shop was very nostalgic probably only made possible by hoarders.

'Dead Man Walking' seemed jarringly out of place as a 1995 release though.

I keep on playing that song over and over.

If ever there were a list of all of the cheesy 80s-esque things that I like in music, that one has the lot. And I keep on hearing bits of film themes like the one for 'Mannequin'.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 05:47, MrPin said:

Mark, have you become Italian yet?  Like my mate Pasqualino (Pasc to his mates), who is actually a Geordie.

Non ancora. Lavorando su questo. [Not yet, working on this]

The language has come along very well, from literally nothing about a year ago, to now, when I can get most of the lyrics pretty easily.

This is the time of the year when I begin to review what's been good this year. Thanks to getting into the Italian language it just happens to be the case that most of the good stuff I've come across has been Italian. Though good posts from others above. A few potentials to add to the list for the year. Hence me starting this.. they don't have to be Italian..

That said, their rhythmic and melodic arrangements suit my musical tastes so beautifully. Maybe others will find something they like.. some really good tunes this year. A lot of that thanks to the return of the sounds of the 1980s and 1990s.

Negamaro - End of Dusk

.. and here's a woman who sounds like Rod Stewart. No, really.

Gianna Nannini - Phenomenal

20 minutes ago, DTMark said:

.. and here's a woman who sounds like Rod Stewart. No, really.

Gianna Nannini - Phenomenal

What an interesting voice......I have no idea what she was singing about but could listen to more!

2 minutes ago, Duck said:

What an interesting voice......I have no idea what she was singing about but could listen to more!

It's sung to someone from a previous encounter that she fancies. It's basically about lust for someone. The chorus repeats "phenomenal" and "all this is madness".

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

Gianna Nannini - 

Her brother drove in Formula 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Nannini

On 12 October 1990, the week after the 1990 Spanish Grand Prix, where he had finished third, Nannini was involved in a helicopter crash over his Siena wineyard, suffering a severed right forearm.[4] The injury healed thanks to successful microsurgery but it ended his Formula One career. 

O.o:Sick1:

That's a nice find.

I've watched so much Italian TV now that I've begun to see the same actors and locations (e.g. grand houses) being reused.

She does have a very distinctive voice.