• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Alternative treatments.

You know, accupunture, churopractors, err that sucking cup thing, the scrapey thing.

Oh, colonic irrigation. That was popular a few years ago.

Whos had them?

What were they?

Did it work?

Cloest ive been was physio on a knackered shoulder.

If you find a chiropractor who deals firmly in making sure all your bones are in the right place - they can be brilliant for any number of injuries that many physios and the like struggle with. 

Not sure why they get such a bad rep. Everyone agrees if your shoulder gets dislocated or similar then it needs to be put back in place or you are fucked.

So why is that general logic frowned upon for much more minor - but still problem causing - misalignment of bones ? 

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

If you find a chiropractor who deals firmly in making sure all your bones are in the right place - they can be brilliant for any number of injuries that many physios and the like struggle with. 

Not sure why they get such a bad rep. Everyone agrees if your shoulder gets dislocated or similar then it needs to be put back in place or you are fucked.

So why is that general logic frowned upon for much more minor - but still problem causing - misalignment of bones ? 

Hmm,

There used to be bonestters in the north - a bloke eho knew how to put dislocated bones back in place.

I tnink chiros tend to overplay the mumbo jumbo for everytjing rather than just say well pop your bones back.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Hmm,

There used to be bonestters in the north - a bloke eho knew how to put dislocated bones back in place.

I tnink chiros tend to overplay the mumbo jumbo for everytjing rather than just say well pop your bones back.

That's why I said find one who just sticks to the basics.

My mum used to be a receptionist for an osteopath, he told me the manipulations improved strains and aches 1 day quicker than they get better by themselves 

If he found anything serious straight to the NHS for the customer 

I had a major knee injury and found acupuncture very helpful to reduce the pain after two operations. I also get bouts of upper body pain caused by a severe toxic reaction I had to a certain antibiotic (which also means I can't take NSAIDs like ibuprofen) and acupuncture has been great at reducing the pain. I was sceptical on the acupuncture beforehand.

ETA: The last (Chinese) acupuncturist I used also did the heat/cupping thing, and I don't think that did anything at all other than a bit of showmanship.

Edited by The Idiocrat

1 minute ago, The Idiocrat said:

I had a major knee injury and found acupuncture very helpful to reduce the pain after two operations. I also get bouts of upper body pain caused by a severe toxic reaction I had to a certain antibiotic (which also means I can't take NSAIDs like ibuprofen) and acupuncture has been great at reducing the pain. I was sceptical on the acupuncture beforehand.

There was a great Horizon programme on the placebo effect on BBC a few years ago 

It works even if you know it can’t , I always thought acupuncture was in the mind 

Had acupuncture in my early 20's because of really bad nerve pain in my back. The nerve pain was gone by the end of the treatments, and never came back, but of course I can't say if it was the acupuncture that fixed it. It was around the same time that I went from 'skinny' to 'very skinny' so the weight loss might have shifted something around too that stopped the pain.

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

There was a great Horizon programme on the placebo effect on BBC a few years ago 

It works even if you know it can’t , I always thought acupuncture was in the mind 

At the end of the day if you can help trigger the placebo effect without doing any lasting harm to someone....then no harm done!

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Had acupuncture in my early 20's because of really bad nerve pain in my back. The nerve pain was gone by the end of the treatments, and never came back, but of course I can't say if it was the acupuncture that fixed it. It was around the same time that I went from 'skinny' to 'very skinny' so the weight loss might have shifted something around too that stopped the pain.

At the end of the day if you can help trigger the placebo effect without doing any lasting harm to someone....then no harm done!

Agreed 👍

31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Chiropractor worked for me where physios & osteopaths did nothing. Think you often have to try a few of these to figure out which works for your problem.

I suggested using a chiropractor today to someone with back pain. I likened what they do to black magic. I have always found that a couple of treatments has been enough to straighten me out. I didn't realise that it was in the same quackery category as raaki or homeopathic treatments.

10 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Its on youtube.

Theres a attractive young blonde busty home counties girly who is getting jabbed.

3 minutes ago, Shaneyson said:

I suggested using a chiropractor today to someone with back pain. I likened what they do to black magic. I have always found that a couple of treatments has been enough to straighten me out. I didn't realise that it was in the same quackery category as raaki or homeopathic treatments.

It makes sense to me that if a part of your skeleton is twisted, jammed or out of position - especially the vertebrae or pelvis - that you will get lots of nerve problems and muscle problems. Those can't be put right until the skeleton is back aligned.

Sounds kinky but I had a massage where the woman basically walked all over me. Don't know what it was called but it clicked something in my back, not that anything felt wrong beforehand, or afterwards. Nice and relaxing and I remember I got loads of sleep in my eyes.

The one I use calls himself an osteomyologist, don't know what the distinction is. Been to a lot of chiropractors in my time and they could treat the symptoms to some extent, but this one seems to treat the cause. Having struggled with increasing joint and mobility problems for the last 15+ years it has given me a new lease of life, much stronger and free of pain. The effects on mood, balance and tinitus are startling and tbh I would be a lot more comfortable if I could consult some sort of central nervous system / brain doctor because although he is really helping me, I don't believe the osteomyologist fully understands everything he is messing with.

2 hours ago, Malthus said:

Oh sure, I wouldn't care at all if it was placebo - it worked/works for me. Having said that, I can see some logic in exercising nerve endings have a physical consuquence.

12 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I don't believe the osteomyologist fully understands everything he is messing with.

Neither do normal medical staff for the most part, they have mostly just rote learned a very complicated set of observe problem  x -> do y rules.

31 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Neither do normal medical staff for the most part, they have mostly just rote learned a very complicated set of observe problem  x -> do y rules.

People mistake medical Drs as being scientigic. They are not. They are told to prescribe something and thats what they.

Theyre diagnostic abilities are piss poor.

I've had acupuncture many times, a few from a guy who frankly wasn't very good, and ever since from a brilliant guy who has since become a friend, so I get free treatment. It works incredibly well for me, but, see below...

IMO the efficacy of all medicine is in the mind; if you believe in the treatment and you believe in the practitioner, it is likely to work, and if you don't, it won't do sod all. We can laugh at doctors from 100 years ago using leeches, or shamans out in the jungle giving weird potions and lotions as treatment, but as long as the patient believes it is going to make them better, there's a bloody good chance it will do.

With that in mind, I'm perfectly happy experimenting with natural or alternative treatments rather than filling my body with the shit that big pharma pump out.