DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Yoga

Bear Hug

Bear Hug

My first time experience of a yoga class. 

I go to the gym a lot since covid but never stretch normally as it's a really boring part of the work out. 

However, my gym does stretch classes, so I just go to those.

Last year a woman was running it, the class had elements of yoga, so there were some breathing exercises too.  There were men there but not many. 

Now it's a guy who goes through a set of stretches. The class has shrunk, mainly men. 

There is also a yoga class. I though it may be a bit weird but decided to give it a go. I was right to have my doubts! 

Just women in the class (except for me). The instructor (female) starts with: 'yoga was invented by men and for men, but I do things differently'. Went on about some specifics with some odd names that I didn't understand. 

Occasionally during the session she'd say that this and that is good for 'our womb'. 

The class is in peak time, so there is noise coming in from weights area. There was also a remark how it may be difficult to focus but she runs a smaller class in another studio, where there are no men dropping weights. 

I liked the exercises but wouldn't be going again. I am just not quite sure if I am being weird about it of if she was unreasonable. 

Some possibly relevant points:

- I intentionally placed my mat in the area where I wouldn't be staring at anyone else

- other attendees were not in the best shape

- I am fairly flexible and could do most of the things 

- early 40s and in fairly good shape, so not completely "old man" just trying to get into class with young women

- the description on the gym's website dies not specify that the yoga class is for women

• Informative 1

Snake Plissken

Think you were just unlucky with that class. Have gone to a few yoga and pilates over the years in gyms and never heard anything like this, whilst predominantly women they would always be at least a few men in the class. If you go consistently makes a big diference to flexibility and core strength I found.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Dropping weights is sometimes ok if there is no safe way to otherwise get rid, but you do get some tryhards who like to shake the floor. Yep, it's always men and usually newbs.

If you want to see burds doing downward dog, there are easier ways @Bear Hug

Bear Hug
1 hour ago, Stuey said:

Dropping weights is sometimes ok if there is no safe way to otherwise get rid, but you do get some tryhards who like to shake the floor. Yep, it's always men and usually newbs.

If you want to see burds doing downward dog, there are easier ways @Bear Hug

Everything she said may well have been true. Just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. As if any help was needed there: it was a new class for me, and it was yoga!

Just now, Bear Hug said:

Everything she said may well have been true. Just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. As if any help was needed there: it was a new class for me, and it was yoga!

You might get better practice and a more amiable response down your local Mosque. 

Bear Hug
2 hours ago, Stuey said:

You might get better practice and a more amiable response down your local Mosque. 

No idea what you are talking about. 

Bear Hug
Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2022 at 10:10, Stuey said:

Your downward dog. 

I get it. Is it a joke about a yoga pose and men on all fours praying in mosques. 

Do they do other yoga moves too? 

Edited by Bear Hug

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 21/05/2022 at 09:25, Bear Hug said:

My first time experience of a yoga class. 

I go to the gym a lot since covid but never stretch normally as it's a really boring part of the work out. 

However, my gym does stretch classes, so I just go to those.

Last year a woman was running it, the class had elements of yoga, so there were some breathing exercises too.  There were men there but not many. 

Now it's a guy who goes through a set of stretches. The class has shrunk, mainly men. 

There is also a yoga class. I though it may be a bit weird but decided to give it a go. I was right to have my doubts! 

Just women in the class (except for me). The instructor (female) starts with: 'yoga was invented by men and for men, but I do things differently'. Went on about some specifics with some odd names that I didn't understand. 

Occasionally during the session she'd say that this and that is good for 'our womb'. 

The class is in peak time, so there is noise coming in from weights area. There was also a remark how it may be difficult to focus but she runs a smaller class in another studio, where there are no men dropping weights. 

I liked the exercises but wouldn't be going again. I am just not quite sure if I am being weird about it of if she was unreasonable. 

Some possibly relevant points:

- I intentionally placed my mat in the area where I wouldn't be staring at anyone else

- other attendees were not in the best shape

- I am fairly flexible and could do most of the things 

- early 40s and in fairly good shape, so not completely "old man" just trying to get into class with young women

- the description on the gym's website dies not specify that the yoga class is for women

Yoga's great but you need the right class, right style of yoga, and right teacher that suits you.

For me, that means a fairly vigorous type of yoga with a pleasant female teacher who is easy on the eye. She sometimes strays into the too-much-bullshit-talk, normally when she's just got back from some course or other, but generally keeps it down as she soon notices her customers are less keen.

I wouldn't go to that class you went to again either, by the sound of it. But don't let it put you off yoga. If you're already flexible - lucky you, do one of the more vigorous styles like Ashtanga yoga and you'll be muscled as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yoga's great but you need the right class, right style of yoga, and right teacher that suits you.

For me, that means a fairly vigorous type of yoga with a pleasant female teacher who is easy on the eye. She sometimes strays into the too-much-bullshit-talk, normally when she's just got back from some course or other, but generally keeps it down as she soon notices her customers are less keen.

I wouldn't go to that class you went to again either, by the sound of it. But don't let it put you off yoga. If you're already flexible - lucky you, do one of the more vigorous styles like Ashtanga yoga and you'll be muscled as well. 

Yes. 

I've been to lots but not for a while. Get the right one and it's great. Don't and it might be pish like the above.

I prefer the slower ones with lots of long stretches. I do my exercise with other things so I prefer yoga to be nice and mostly a big long stretch. 

Others may want the vigorous stuff. Many do a mix. 

Some do lots of spiritual type stuff. Others do none at all. 

A teacher that will physically come around and help people into position is a great plus imo. If they don't ? You may as well do it from a dvd. 

Try another one. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1