DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

How the fuck do we pay it back

King Penda

1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Impose? Impose? >:( 

The wording is carefully chosen to make it sound as if there's no other moral choice, as if nobody except for the state has any agency.

The imposition of today's hardship was done years ago, not least by those who decided to cram at least twice as many people (largely unskilled and work-shy) on these islands, as can comfortably be supported here.

Still, at least it's a CPI uplift not an RPI one :)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1616300/uk-immigration-2022-visas-higher-tories-priti-patel-home-office-statistics-asylum-spt

More than 1.6 million visas and permits were granted by the Government in the year ending March 2022, the Home Office has said. The figure marks a 145 percent increase on the previous 12 months to March 2021, according to the latest available immigration statistics, published on Thursday. However, the total is around half the number that was granted in the year ending March 2020, the period leading up to the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Myco said:

Nice cash payment direct to all benefit claimants, over £1000 in total gain because prices have gone up. 

But anyone working for their money instead gets less money due to taxes having gone up. 

Every month there's a new 'fuck you' to all tax payers it seems, it can't keep going for much longer. 

Oh yes it can. As long as they have an electronic printing press and others like the ECB, BoJ etc are doing the same thing. Unlike an individual or household, the government of the day only has to worry about the interest payable on freshly issued gilts not the principle. Political cycles last just 5 years.

The UK government needs to recirculate cash into the ailing rentier economy to avoid recession. The bennie brigade will spend every penny they get because saving and investing are alien concepts to the vast majority of these people. Your average Dosbodder on the other hand would squirrel it away. 

This is not about who 'deserves' it or who doesn't. For Sunak, the BoE and HM Treasury big wigs, it is about the underlying GDP figures. Not per capita GDP which aligns with rising or falling living standards for the majority. They don't give a shit about per capita GDP because it doesn't affect them. Most of these people at the top are independently wealthy and can easily leverage their capital to create additional wealth. 

Yadda yadda yadda
14 hours ago, King Penda said:

Yes but that will rocket interest rates on morgages and the national debt ,maybe we could sell Scotland to the Chinese we would get fuck all for wales and no doubt iraland would put a bid in for the top bit of Ireland 

You will own nothing and be happy. Higher interest rates combined with higher utilities bills for the working will lead to a lot more people owning nothing. Happy? They probably think people are happy getting money for nothing, sitting on their arse all day. They haven't tied the increase in anti-depressants use to people out of work. The people have never been happy under communist systems. Never will be. UK Gov being an administrative branch of a global fascist dictatorship isn't much different.

A feel good story about unintended consequences, from the Evening Standard:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/city-fears-sunak-energy-deal-094820676.html

"THE BANK of England may be forced to shove up interest rates even quicker than it was planning following Rishi Sunak’s dramatic intervention in energy markets, the City warned today.

That in turn will increase borrowing costs and reduce consumer spending power, increasing the risk of a recession.

The Bank, widely criticised for moving too slowly to curtail inflation, put rates up to 1% earlier this month from 0.75%. It is expected to do at least four more quarter point rises this year to 2%.

But the Chancellor’s £400 handout to cover energy bills, a £15 billion package, could fuel inflation and force the hand of Bank governor Andrew Bailey and the eight other members of the Monetary Policy Committee that sets rates.

Some fear rates could now be at 3% by the end of the year. While that is historically still low, the pace of the increase would cause severe problems to already uncertain businesses and consumers.

Paul Dales at Capital Economics said: “The extra financial support for households announced by the Chancellor today will help millions of households cope better with the cost of living crisis. But it won’t relieve all the pain and may mean the Bank of England has to pull the interest rate lever harder to reduce inflation.”

Some were more sanguine, while still concerned. Simon French at Panmure Gordon said: “The targeted giveaways to those on income-related benefits is not going to fuel inflation. But the universal giveaways of £400 do risk spilling over into higher domestic inflation. At the margin this risks a faster rate of interest rate increases from the Bank.”

The Bank could be forced to do much bigger rate rises in one go.

In the US, the Federal Reserve has already done 0.5 percentage point rise, the biggest individual rate hike in two decades. It has been open about doing the same again, soon.

Robert Wood at Bank of America said: “We raised our BoE forecast last week to four 25bp hikes this year, with risks skewed to the upside. We noted an elevated probability of a 50bp move in August. We remain comfortable with that call. Risks are skewed up.”

The Institute for Fiscal Studies warned earlier this week that inflation for the poorest households could hit 14% by October.

Today it again warned on price rises and was cautious about the merits of the chancellor’s intervention on energy bills. Paul Johnson of the IFS said: “The big risk is that he will be tempted to do this again and again.”

Lightly Toasted

Quoting from the article:

Some were more sanguine, while still concerned. Simon French at Panmure Gordon said: “The targeted giveaways to those on income-related benefits is not going to fuel inflation. But the universal giveaways of £400 do risk spilling over into higher domestic inflation. At the margin this risks a faster rate of interest rate increases from the Bank.”

Presumably Simon French thinks that the money for those on benefits will be perfectly absorbed by their higher energy bills, meaning it won't end up chasing other goods and services.

That sounds like nonsense to me: anything that cushions demand for a limited supply of stuff, is going to buoy up prices too. Not giving them the money, would certainly destroy demand -- not primarily for energy IMO, but for other discretionary stuff.

Anyway, bring on interest rate rises.

King Penda
1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Quoting from the article:

Presumably Simon French thinks that the money for those on benefits will be perfectly absorbed by their higher energy bills, meaning it won't end up chasing other goods and services.

That sounds like nonsense to me: anything that cushions demand for a limited supply of stuff, is going to buoy up prices too. Not giving them the money, would certainly destroy demand -- not primarily for energy IMO, but for other discretionary stuff.

Anyway, bring on interest rate rises.

I’m a horrible cunt but 10% has a nice ring to it

If you haven't already started, get stashing. You still have a few weeks left to do this, but don't dither.

Forget frozen goods. Freezers need electricity. THINK about it! 

Load up on ambient, canned and dried foods. If you have a garden, start growing stuff.

Don't forget the water. Camping stoves and gas cannisters. Lots of them.

Make sure you can defend yourself and your resources. Make sure you stay within the law, of course.

Be imaginitive.

That's the best 'legal' advice I can give anyone right now.

King Penda
12 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

You will own nothing and be happy. Higher interest rates combined with higher utilities bills for the working will lead to a lot more people owning nothing. Happy? They probably think people are happy getting money for nothing, sitting on their arse all day. They haven't tied the increase in anti-depressants use to people out of work. The people have never been happy under communist systems. Never will be. UK Gov being an administrative branch of a global fascist dictatorship isn't much different.

Half the country is on them ok it’s probably 20% but add on alchol and skunk and I bet your over 50% and that’s in the good times

King Penda
3 minutes ago, Upsettah said:

If you haven't already started, get stashing. You still have a few weeks left to do this, but don't dither.

Forget frozen goods. Freezers need electricity. THINK about it! 

Load up on ambient, canned and dried foods. If you have a garden, start growing stuff.

Don't forget the water. Camping stoves and gas cannisters. Lots of them.

Make sure you can defend yourself and your resources. Make sure you stay within the law, of course.

Be imaginitive.

That's the best 'legal' advice I can give anyone right now.

Few weeks wtf no it’s going to be a slow burner it might not even happen except for more expensive shit my stash is an hedge against inflation has anything else

2 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Few weeks wtf no it’s going to be a slow burner it might not even happen except for more expensive shit my stash is an hedge against inflation has anything else

Re-read it, Mr Penda - I meant people still have a few weeks to wake the fuck up and realise what is happening and get their heads around how they can self-educate to deal with what's coming.

I've seen pics of your stash. Most of it is quite logical - well done!

Not seen any water there though. Don't forget the water.

Water for drinking AND water for washing.

King Penda
2 minutes ago, Upsettah said:

Re-read it, Mr Penda - I meant people still have a few weeks to wake the fuck up and realise what is happening and get their heads around how they can self-educate to deal with what's coming.

I've seen pics of your stash. Most of it is quite logical - well done!

Not seen any water there though. Don't forget the water.

Water for drinking AND water for washing.

There won’t be a water problem unless in a cyberwar the Russians fuck up severn Trent’s delivery system what sort of sick fucker would think of covering that problem.

8E5C14FD-6575-43E1-98FF-6FA4CC2C226F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, King Penda said:

There won’t be a water problem unless in a cyberwar the Russians fuck up severn Trent’s delivery system what sort of sick fucker would think of covering that problem.

8E5C14FD-6575-43E1-98FF-6FA4CC2C226F.jpeg

Ok, I'll ask!

What the hell is that thing in the plastic bag?!

King Penda
1 minute ago, Upsettah said:

Ok, I'll ask!

A collapsible water container I’m going to order another in a few minnutes yes I know I’m insane 

leonardratso

hey thats a brilliant idea, i didnt even know they existed.

Can it hold any liquid? or does it have to be totally inert?

One percent
6 minutes ago, Upsettah said:

Ok, I'll ask!

Don’t. Just don’t go there.  o.O

4 minutes ago, King Penda said:

A collapsible water container I’m going to order another in a few minnutes yes I know I’m insane 

Ok. I'd buy five.

King Penda
7 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

hey thats a brilliant idea, i didnt even know they existed.

Can it hold any liquid? or does it have to be totally inert?

15 litres

22 minutes ago, King Penda said:

15 litres

That doesn't answer his question, but it's still informative.

I said I'd buy five. make that ten!

leonardratso

i only ask since if the plastic sides are collapsible i assume anything caustic or even maybe a bit gassy will quickly rot thru or expand it if its not very stiff/thick, still 15 liters and collapsible, wonder how air tight that is.

How much captn pugwa, erm penda?

leonardratso

ah i see a few online, camping etc, silcon rather than plastic, pretty cheap really, great idea, not a camper so didnt even know they existed.

PatronizingGit
On 26/05/2022 at 19:48, Inque said:

StephenW

Will financial intervention from the government add fuel to the fire of inflation? If the government don't intervene, will this help bring down inflation?

Ed Conway, economics and data editor:

You've hit the nail on the head. It's hard to see how what was announced today will not be seriously inflationary. 

Not only are we seeing lots of big giveaways, the chancellor is also essentially "baking in" some of the price rises by increasing benefits and pensions in line with CPI inflation next year. 

However, the alternative would be to impose large falls in living standards on millions of people. Welcome to the thorny, uncomfortable world of inflation-fighting…

Reduce demand. Remove a dozen million immigrants from the consumption pool.

We'd likely find we have plenty energy capacity for the 50-55 million actual brits. 15 million alien interlopers, not so much.

1 hour ago, belfastchild said:

Or fill the bath.

I remember the main character doing that at the start of The Road.

King Penda
12 hours ago, leonardratso said:

i only ask since if the plastic sides are collapsible i assume anything caustic or even maybe a bit gassy will quickly rot thru or expand it if its not very stiff/thick, still 15 liters and collapsible, wonder how air tight that is.

They are fine and I leavethem on a table if camping

King Penda
12 hours ago, leonardratso said:

9 quid probably cheaper on eBay 

Archived