DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Exeter to Polperro on a Saturday afternoon. Which route?

Norfolk Variant

Question

Norfolk Variant

I'm driving to Cornwall on a Saturday in June and anticipate reaching Exeter at about 3pm. Should I take the shorter A38 route via Plymouth and over the Tamar Bridge or the longer A30 route towards Bodmin and then double back on myself?

Most people (and Satnavs) I ask say take the A38, but is the Plymouth area and Tamar Bridge going to be a free moving on a Saturday afternoon in June?

Anyone with local knowledge or recent experience of this journey?

This might all be academic if we end up reaching Exeter at 7pm after sitting on the M5 around Bristol for 4 hours.

5 answers to this question

onlyme

Had some very clear runs down over the last year, relatively, the roadworks and dual carriageway works near the  Truro turn on the A30 might be the major pinch point.

If Avonmouth / M5 clogged I've tended to go A46 then down to the A303, slow, but a bit more interesting and plenty of nice stopping points.

Frank Hovis
Posted (edited)

My default is always to take the A30 as unless there is an accident it is a clear run since it's all dual carriageway where you'll be driving it.  The A38 always snarls up in Plymouth when it's busy plus then you are crawling your way through the winding busy road through Landrake and Tideford before finally reaching the dual carriageway at Trerulefoot roundabout.

On the A30 there are delays and roadworks from the first turning to Truro, where it becomes single carriageway, on to Chiverton Cross but you won't come anywhere near this in going to Polperro.

My route would be A30 to Bodmin and then at Carland Cross (Bodmin junction) come off and turn down the A38 towards Liskeard; this takes you through the A38 Glyn Valley and there is a signposted turning on your right about midway along this to Looe and Polperro.

You then have half a mile or a mile of some smaller roads to negotiate, SatNav on, before reaching the main B3359 road to Polperro (and Looe).

Edit: Tagging @Wahoo in case he's aware of any specific issues with the smaller roads down that way.

Edited by Frank Hovis
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Go across Dartmoor for the scenic route. B|

Exeter -> Moretonhamstead -> Tavistock -> Callington -> Liskeard. Never done the bit after Tavistock so it may be farmer single track after the A road ends at Liskeard. xD

Norfolk Variant

Thanks for the input. I think I'll take the A30 route - unless we're ahead of schedule - in which case the scenic route across Dartmoor will win.

• Cheers 1