• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Oh FFS. How to trash an org.

6 hours ago, SNACR said:

Don't fall into the trap of necessarily believing that just because Mugabe is unpopular here he is unpopular in Africa or other parts of the world.

Is it a matter of dispute that he has presided over the collapse of their healthcare infrastructure, the HIV epidemic, a cholera epidemic, and a tuberculosis epidemic? Not to mention mass famine.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Is it a matter of dispute that he has presided over the collapse of their healthcare infrastructure, the HIV epidemic, a cholera epidemic, and a tuberculosis epidemic? Not to mention mass famine.

Indeed.

Robbing white farmers' farm barely make it on the Mugabefuckathon.

9 hours ago, SNACR said:

Don't fall into the trap of necessarily believing that just because Mugabe is unpopular here he is unpopular in Africa or other parts of the world.

The Zimbabwean I work with despises him and with good reason. I'm sure anyone on his payroll is happy enough.

2 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

The Zimbabwean I work with despises him and with good reason. I'm sure anyone on his payroll is happy enough.t

The guy who worked for me for a while driving a forklift was surprisingly sanguine having lost a 1000 acre farm to be left totally potless and living with his daughter in this country. I think he was just relieved to have escaped in one piece.

6 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

These appointments tend to be political plenty of similar leaders in the world you never hear about. His main crime is still resisting British backed attempts to unseat him from power. As in this country politicians favouring the indigenous population usually enjoy popular and widespread support.

Mugabe is not my idea of a sound choice as either national leader or goodwill ambassador but that doesn't mean he isn't for a lot of people. 

8 hours ago, SNACR said:

These appointments tend to be political plenty of similar leaders in the world you never hear about. His main crime is still resisting British backed attempts to unseat him from power. As in this country politicians favouring the indigenous population usually enjoy popular and widespread support.

Mugabe is not my idea of a sound choice as either national leader or goodwill ambassador but that doesn't mean he isn't for a lot of people. 

I get what you are saying, and in a wider political context I would grudgingly agree. But this is about fronting public health campaigns, a specific niche in which he is a spectacularly poor choice, as judged by the public health catastrophes of his administration. It’s a bit like saying Myra Hindley is a good choice for head of the NSPCC because she’s really famous and quite good at Maths.

20 hours ago, spygirl said:

Indeed.

Robbing white farmers' farm barely make it on the Mugabefuckathon.

And black Commercial Farmers. Many of them were victims of Mugabe too when one of his cronies took a liking to their farms.

Many of those black commercial famers owed their success to tutilege by the white farming community. I'm sure the future masters of commercial farming in Zimbabwe, the Chinese, will be equally supportive of the indigenous black population.

Edited by Kurt Barlow
typo

14 hours ago, SNACR said:

The guy who worked for me for a while driving a forklift was surprisingly sanguine having lost a 1000 acre farm to be left totally potless and living with his daughter in this country. I think he was just relieved to have escaped in one piece.

I visited Zim in 98, way after this stuff had started. My conclusion was that while what Mugabe is a bad man and made things worse except for his mates, the Zim white farmers brought it on themselves. They were living (was still the case in 98 where I went) like Arab princes in mansions with servants, driving S class Mercs while the poor folks around had nothing, no schools, no housing, little food, not much land. The farmers were happy to let them work for almost nothing on the farms and go back to their hovels with no prospect of ever improving their lot. As in Russia in the 19th century - what did they expect would happen eventually? 

3 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

C'mon - the WHO says it because of his innovative approaches to healthcare.

Was it Mugabe who came up with the innovative  HIV 'cure' of screwing a virgin?

I think thats a common held myth.

For a proper Aids prebention youd hae to look to Jacob Zuma - shower and lemon juice. And didnt hinest Jacob hire an Aids denier as health minister.

9 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Funny. It reminded me of when Tony Blair was made middle East peace envoy.

That one really was taking the piss wasn't it. I think it was at that point I realised that the establishment is just one big happy club having a massive laugh at our expense. 

7 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I visited Zim in 98, way after this stuff had started. My conclusion was that while what Mugabe is a bad man and made things worse except for his mates, the Zim white farmers brought it on themselves. They were living (was still the case in 98 where I went) like Arab princes in mansions with servants, driving S class Mercs while the poor folks around had nothing, no schools, no housing, little food, not much land. The farmers were happy to let them work for almost nothing on the farms and go back to their hovels with no prospect of ever improving their lot. As in Russia in the 19th century - what did they expect would happen eventually? 

I believe in many cases white farmers provided housing, basic medical care, food, and schooling for their workers and also gave a lot of under utilised land to black farm workers. This mess lies primarily with Mugabe.

The white farmers bought their own farms from the Zim govt in the early 1980's as most were going to FO to South Africa or Botswana. Mugabe said they should stay as Zimbabweans but on condition they bought their land as freeholds from the state at market prices.

The people are even poorer now  but never mind because Mugabe and Cronies are the new Arab Princes.