DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

broken/sprained thumb

steppensheep

steppensheep
Posted (edited)

just fell over. no real pain, but i can click my thumb at the knuckle joint to the side a few mm and it stays put. otherwise i can use it (gently anyway) and feels fairly normal. suspect bruising will develop overnight.

the worrying bit is, i immediately felt nausea and now am getting body shivers which is usually a sign the body knows something is not right.

any dosbodders have any useful suggestions or anecdotes?

Edited by steppensheep
  • Love 2

ashestoashes

strap it up in normal position, pain killers and anti inflammatories, further pain get it xrayed

• Cheers 1

One percent
11 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

strap it up in normal position, pain killers and anti inflammatories, further pain get it xrayed

And don’t shove it up your arse as @ccc, it will just worsen the sprain.  o.O

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

steppensheep
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

And don’t shove it up your arse as @ccc, it will just worsen the sprain.  o.O

i forgot to say, please quote your medical credentials when replying.

• Bogged 1
  • Lol 2

sarahbell
2 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I've got a stethoscope. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Love 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1

leonardratso

i watched a lot of quincy in the 70s and 80s so im qualified to look at after you are dead only.

• Cheers 1

ashestoashes
16 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

broke a bone in my hand last year, passed out for a minute or so with the pain, went to A&E two days later when it wasn't getting better and making clicking noises, needed a special splint and exercises for a few months

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Hail the Tripod
4 hours ago, steppensheep said:

any dosbodders have any useful suggestions or anecdotes?

When Ranulph Fiennes’ fingers gave him gyp, he cut the bastards off with a fretsaw.

Hope that helps.

• Lol 1

9 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

Do not take anti inflammatories as they will slow down repair and recovery. You want inflammation. 

Onsamui
2 hours ago, Stuey said:

Do not take anti inflammatories as they will slow down repair and recovery. You want inflammation. 

I have osteoarthritis, particularly in my right thumb and left & right index fingers, swollen joints.  The pain never goes, I have Napoxin but that does not help much and since the pollen season started, I just ache all over.  I have some DMSO gel which helps at pain relief.  I like to bike ride put pay for a couple of days after with pain, due to using the brakes. Oh the joys of getting old!

ashestoashes

advice from 111

• Paracetamol or ibuprofen can be used to relieve pain. Do not take if you have been advised not to, or you have already taken some. Ask a pharmacist for advice if you're unsure.
  • Remove any jewellery or tight clothing from the area.
  • Avoid heat, alcohol, massage or activities which could make the injury worse for a few days.
  • Use stretch or tube bandages. It should be firm but not tight. Remove it at night. These can be bought from a pharmacy.
  • Wrap an ice pack (or bag of frozen peas) in a cloth and put it on the area for 15-20 minutes. Repeat every 2-3 hours (when you're awake) for the first 2-3 days.
  • Do not put ice directly on the skin or leave it while you're asleep.
  • For ankle or knee injuries: Use a stool or pillows to raise a swollen ankle or knee to hip level or higher.
  • For hand or wrist injuries: raise the swollen hand or wrist above the level of your heart using a sling. Use pillows to do this when you're in bed.

I think the whole RICE thing will one day be proved to be bollocks for anything less than severe injuries.

Rest - choose active recovery instead

Ice - to reduce inflammation. However for short term injuries like this, you want inflammation.

Compression - to reduce swelling. As above for ice.

Elevation - as for compression.

7 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I think the whole RICE thing will one day be proved to be bollocks for anything less than severe injuries.

Rest - choose active recovery instead

Ice - to reduce inflammation. However for short term injuries like this, you want inflammation.

Compression - to reduce swelling. As above for ice.

Elevation - as for compression.

Yes and I think the guidance has changed. Last time I was in minor injuries - years ago for an ankle sprain - she gave me the inflammation is good line. This was maybe 6-7 years ago. 

steppensheep
Posted (edited)

Decided to do the sensible thing and go to A&E. They can't quite decide whether it's nothing or a medical emergency. Been xrayed but now got to wait an hour for an echography. I'm feeling fairly relaxed about anyway. I've got a feeling it's nothing. 

Edit, they were a bit traumatised by my blood pressure but wouldn't tell me what it was and I didn't want to make an issue of it. I have noticed before it goes mental when I have a physical injury. 

Edited by steppensheep
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Decided to do the sensible thing and go to A&E. They can't quite decide whether it's nothing or a medical emergency. Been xrayed but now got to wait an hour for an echography. I'm feeling fairly relaxed about anyway. I've got a feeling it's nothing. 

Edit, they were a bit traumatised by my blood pressure but wouldn't tell me what it was and I didn't want to make an issue of it. I have noticed before it goes mental when I have a physical injury. 

I'm very surprised by that. If you didn't feel any real pain and when they prodded around you didn't jump through the ceiling - they usually aren't bothered with x rays and rather unsubtly tell you to stop being a pussy. 

• Cheers 1

steppensheep
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ccc said:

I'm very surprised by that. If you didn't feel any real pain and when they prodded around you didn't jump through the ceiling - they usually aren't bothered with x rays and rather unsubtly tell you to stop being a pussy. 

france, btw, and theyre getting reimbursed by the nhs (hopefully, or i may be in for a shock). i think they still like to do things properly.

conclusion, minor fracture and minor ligament tear/sprain. got to immobilise my thumb for a bit with a splint thing.

didnt mention, but after a few hours last night, my shoulder rotor cuff started hurting as well. cant raise my arm to the side. so i have a sling as well and have to go back in a few days.

Edited by steppensheep
  • Informative 1

nirvana
1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

france, btw, and theyre getting reimbursed by the nhs (hopefully, or i may be in for a shock). i think they still like to do things properly.

conclusion, minor fracture and minor ligament tear/sprain. got to immobilise my thumb for a bit with a splint thing.

didnt mention, but after a few hours last night, my shoulder rotor cuff started hurting as well. cant raise my arm to the side. so i have a sling as well and have to go back in a few days.

my old sister in law is/was an orthopaedic surgeon......she never believed in any of the pots/strapping stuff, she always used to say keep moving it.......

I've had a few traumatic experiences abroad, like when I was chainsawing a spikey tree and the branch fell on my wrist and when I pulled out the blood spurted like 6 inches in the air lol BUT I've vowed to avoid hospitals at all costs now till I'm nearly at death's door......and I tried to sigh up for that health card but it was a fukkin nightmare so I gave up xD

• Cheers 1

steppensheep
34 minutes ago, nirvana said:

my old sister in law is/was an orthopaedic surgeon......she never believed in any of the pots/strapping stuff, she always used to say keep moving it.......

i can understand, but theres the worry of ligaments becoming torn or detatched. 

last time i did my rotor cuff in i went swimming directly afterwards, and about a week later carried my mums shopping home, and my shoulder was fucked for about a year afterwards. im going to try the immobilisation this time. the sling is quite good not because i need support, but because it stops me doing stupid things with my arm.

i got my ehic card from the post office with a paper form. maybe you can still fo that, if you have a uk address.

• Cheers 1

steppensheep

actually its mildly interesting, last night i could "click" my thumb tip out of line a few mm, and already today it was feeling more stable, so although it was still a bit woggly, it reverts to the central position by itself. the ligaments must be retracting back or re-attatching to their previous position under their own steam.

ashestoashes

with my injury last year if the fingers hadn't been held at certain angles the ligaments would shorten over time and you'd just be left with a claw unable to straighten the fingers

2 hours ago, steppensheep said:

I don't get how you didn't feel any pain. You still not feel any ? How is that possible with a fracture. Do you do a lot of skag :D

steppensheep
57 minutes ago, ccc said:

I don't get how you didn't feel any pain. You still not feel any ? How is that possible with a fracture. Do you do a lot of skag :D

there was quite a lot of initial pain but it subsided. it is a very minor fracture, you can barely see anything on the xrays. the shoulder's fairly painful if i move my arm wrong.

i broke my jaw when i was younger and didnt feel any pain, doctors were quite surprised when the xrays came back.

Just now, steppensheep said:

there was quite a lot of initial pain but it subsided. it is a very minor fracture, you can barely see anything on the xrays. the shoulder's fairly painful if i move my arm wrong.

i broke my jaw when i was younger and didnt feel any pain, doctors were quite surprised when the xrays came back.

You are the Bionic man :Old: