Jump to content
DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Butterfly spotting


The Masked Tulip

Recommended Posts

The Masked Tulip

Anyone seen any butterflies this year? I have not seen any yet.

I have left my small rear garden just grow again this year. It is full of wild flowers, dandelions, buttercups and other things I do not know the name of. Bees are having a field day. Lots of small insects in the long grass. No butterflies yet though. Oh, and tiny ladybird lavare that have turned in recent days into tiny, tiny ladybirds.

I am surrounded by stripey lawn hell otherwise with the neighbours having a man turn up monthly who sprays stuff on the lawns.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nirvana
Posted (edited)

LOADS where I live! Just come back from a bike ride...white one flew into me.......saw a very darkish one too!

I'll try and get some photos for you Dickie Attenborough

PS I'm growing a jungle too......REALLY getting peed off with all the 'American housewife wannabees' nowadays........bloody strimmers and a right fat cunt earlier with his karcher, doing a wall.......spray some vinegar and get a scrubber u muppets!:Old:

Edited by nirvana
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

I had small butterflies on the mint flowers and wondered what they were. Mint moths apparently.

 

 

Yes, the white ones are cunning in that you are never sure whether they are moths or butterflies. I suppose closer examination would answer that. Not heard of mint moths before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

LOADS where I live! Just come back from a bike ride...white one flew into me.......saw a very darkish one too!

I'll try and get some photos for you Dickie Attenborough

PS I'm growing a jungle too......REALLY getting peed off with all the 'American housewife wannabees' nowadays........bloody strimmers and a right fat cunt earlier with his karcher, doing a wall.......spray some vinegar and get a scrubber u muppets!:Old:

 

Strimmers and pressure washers. Aaargh!

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spunko

It's still a bit early presumably, I've seen a couple of cabbage whites or similar.

Last year I saw several of these, quite common apparently. Ruby Tiger moth.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-39-49 ruby tiger moth - Google Search.png

 

 

My favourite moth is the cinnabar. Had loads when I grew nicotiana / tobacco flower a few years back.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-41-03 cinnabar moth - Google Search.png

  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell
2 hours ago, spunko said:

It's still a bit early presumably, I've seen a couple of cabbage whites or similar.

Last year I saw several of these, quite common apparently. Ruby Tiger moth.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-39-49 ruby tiger moth - Google Search.png

 

 

My favourite moth is the cinnabar. Had loads when I grew nicotiana / tobacco flower a few years back.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-41-03 cinnabar moth - Google Search.png

Is it those that are yellow and black stripey caterpillars

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
4 hours ago, spunko said:

It's still a bit early presumably, I've seen a couple of cabbage whites or similar.

Last year I saw several of these, quite common apparently. Ruby Tiger moth.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-39-49 ruby tiger moth - Google Search.png

 

 

My favourite moth is the cinnabar. Had loads when I grew nicotiana / tobacco flower a few years back.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-41-03 cinnabar moth - Google Search.png

 

Both beautiful.

I have this theory that some people who die get jobs painting flowers and butterflies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spunko
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Both beautiful.

I have this theory that some people who die get jobs painting flowers and butterflies. 

As ever, the photos don't do it justice, particularly the cinnabar which is the brightest neon pink I've ever seen in nature. The nearest equivalent I can think of is a pelargonium like this, that you often see hanging in baskets outside pubs:

 

 

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 20-11-36 pelargonium pink neon - Google Search.png

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

As ever, the photos don't do it justice, particularly the cinnabar which is the brightest neon pink I've ever seen in nature. The nearest equivalent I can think of is a pelargonium like this, that you often see hanging in baskets outside pubs:

 

 

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 20-11-36 pelargonium pink neon - Google Search.png

 

 

You would not think it is a moth. The word conjours up images of something drab and annoying fluttering in front of the TV or another a light. Moths clearly have bad PR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Beautiful. They live for 2 months as the butterfly. I hope they are not relying on dating apps to procreate.

It took me some time to identify it as it was resting with wings not fully open. Very striking appearance , lucky to have seen one.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl Fimble
19 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Anyone seen any butterflies this year? I have not seen any yet.

I have left my small rear garden just grow again this year. It is full of wild flowers, dandelions, buttercups and other things I do not know the name of. Bees are having a field day. Lots of small insects in the long grass. No butterflies yet though. Oh, and tiny ladybird lavare that have turned in recent days into tiny, tiny ladybirds.

I am surrounded by stripey lawn hell otherwise with the neighbours having a man turn up monthly who sprays stuff on the lawns.

I've seen quite a few, starting weeks ago too. Mostly white ones, but some black ones as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spunko
11 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

 

You would not think it is a moth. The word conjours up images of something drab and annoying fluttering in front of the TV or another a light. Moths clearly have bad PR. 

Apparently the only difference between a moth and butterfly is the layout of the antennae, nothing to do with night flying or being dark, I hadn't realised this until recently.

 

There are loads of really tatty looking butterflies too here's a Meadow Brown... not a moth!! 

images.jpeg-3.jpg

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, spunko said:

Apparently the only difference between a moth and butterfly is the layout of the antennae, nothing to do with night flying or being dark, I hadn't realised this until recently.

I thought butterflies parked with their wings up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
2 hours ago, MrPin said:

I thought butterflies parked with their wings up.

 

You are confusing them with aircraft on aircraft carriers. Easily done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upsettah

Now you mention it - not seen a single butterfly so far this year. Plenty of bees though. Was sunbathing yesterday near a 5' shrub which had about 20 bees working diligently upon it!

The dragonfly count is normal for the time of year, lots of cats, pigeons, blue tits, longtail tits and goldfinches.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
On 30/05/2022 at 15:40, spunko said:

It's still a bit early presumably, I've seen a couple of cabbage whites or similar.

Last year I saw several of these, quite common apparently. Ruby Tiger moth.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-39-49 ruby tiger moth - Google Search.png

 

 

My favourite moth is the cinnabar. Had loads when I grew nicotiana / tobacco flower a few years back.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 15-41-03 cinnabar moth - Google Search.png

Seen a few around here I wonder if they are looking for cannabis grows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
The Masked Tulip

I found a half crushed butterfly on a path last night. Either it had been stamped on or a bird had got it but it had managed to get away. It could not move but was wriggling the side that was not crushed. I killed it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/05/2022 at 13:53, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Strimmers and pressure washers. Aaargh!

Leaf blowers!...what's wrong with a bloody broom for Christs sake?!

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...