• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Right, IT bods. I need your help / input. 

I have a (crap) Lenovo laptop. It's 4 years old and I'm struggling to get it to turn on. It sporadically works. 

I think it's BIOS related but I can't get it to load. The fan only kicks in once the splash screen loads and it seems random as to how long it takes for the screen to appear, leading to it regularly overheating and shutting itself down before loading. Thoughts?

It worked on the internal screen yesterday.  It seems to be windows updates that mess it up. 

I copied my important work off there yesterday but I have a lot of pics that I want to salvage at the very least. 

Its not a screen issue because I feel the splash screen loads, the fan then kicks in and it doesn't overheat. 

Edit: It's always been a crap laptop. Having it mains charging throttles the processor. 

I would say this most closely represents the situation  

No beep, power-on indicator on, LCD blank, and no POST

Edited by The Generation Game

May well be Windows! I stopped using it at home ten years ago so can't really help there sorry.

Do you want to use the laptop or just salvage the stuff?
If you've got a desktop, you could just take the hard drive out the laptop and put it into the desktop as a second drive to save manually transferring stuff.

That is one possibility. The biggest issue is my PhD - 270 pages of crap in Ms Word that I'm worried about losing the templates/headings/equation settings etc. 

Just now, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Although https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht062270 gives different beep codes...

What model is it?

It's a g505s - A10. I've read various things about thermal pastes and resitting RAM but in the past it has just sorted itself eventually. 

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

That is one possibility. The biggest issue is my PhD - 270 pages of crap in Ms Word that I'm worried about losing the templates/headings/equation settings etc. 

If you can get it to boot again, can you print it to PDF?

9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Edit: It's always been a crap laptop. Having it mains charging throttles the processor. 

No beep, power-on indicator on, LCD blank, and no POST

Beep codes will be definitive to the problem if we get the correct model.

2 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

If you can get it to boot again, can you print it to PDF?

I already did that yesterday. But it isn't finished, so PDF helps with layout but just means tens of hours more work checking formatting.  

This thread is as close to the issue a shock I've read. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G505s-won-t-boot/td-p/1819351

Get data off first would be best I think and keep the machine cool - keep all air ports as unobstructed as possible. Anything that will test the machine will like stress it thermally if that is the issue and you might just have got lucky getting it it turn on.

2 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

It worked on the internal screen yesterday.  It seems to be windows updates that mess it up. 

I copied my important work off there yesterday but I have a lot of pics that I want to salvage at the very least. 

Its not a screen issue because I feel the splash screen loads, the fan then kicks in and it doesn't overheat. 

Is it windows 10 ? i know jack shit about IT but i have a Toshiba satellite which has similar problems which i can only cure by disconnecting the battery and power then it will start and it dose this every time windows ten has a major update it has also lost it`s sleep and power settings they are there but it matters not what the setting is   

Edited by Long time lurking

24 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Is it windows 10 ? i know jack shit about IT but i have a Toshiba satellite which has similar problems which i can only cure by disconnecting the battery and power then it will start and it dose this every time windows ten has a major update it has also lost it`s sleep and power settings they are there but it matters not what the setting is   

It's 8.1. When it loaded it said maintenance ongoing (whatever that means). It's usually windows updates that mess it up. 

Currently transferring 200GB+ of raw photos to external HDD in case it's something terminal. 

40 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Get data off first would be best I think and keep the machine cool - keep all air ports as unobstructed as possible. Anything that will test the machine will like stress it thermally if that is the issue and you might just have got lucky getting it it turn on.

I did give the fan a clean yesterday. Was a bit dusty. Have since removed and reseated the RAM. In short, I think it's just a crap laptop with bad hardware and a dislike of windows. Can't believe this is the same IP as IBM. 

Just now, The Generation Game said:

I did give the fan a clean yesterday. Was a bit dusty. Have since removed and reseated the RAM. In short, I think it's just a crap laptop with bad hardware and a dislike of windows. Can't believe this is the same IP as IBM. 

Yup. Lenovo bought out the IBM laptop business.

4 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Everything moves on so fast nowadays, all the components (either package type or function) that old IBM's were made of either obsolete or not manufactured any more, once you go to faster processor you automatically get dragged along to have all the supporting PCI bridge chipset, ancillary circuitry and firmware all changed with it. 

5 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Well they certainly don't have a repeat customer in me. Not sure I trust AMD chipsets either. 

Just rip the Hard Drive out and either put it in something that works or a portable USB3 caddy.

Edited by Hopeful

37 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It's 8.1. When it loaded it said maintenance ongoing (whatever that means). It's usually windows updates that mess it up. 

Currently transferring 200GB+ of raw photos to external HDD in case it's something terminal. 

I'd say its an update issue.  I've heard of loads of problems, when machines tried to upgrade to Win 10..As it was such a big download, it often got corrupted, and completely buggered them...