DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

You cannot under estimate just long chilled out walking.

haroldshand

haroldshand

Have been including a lot of walking in my training this year just at first as a way chilling out and just taking in the outdoors which I never do when running or cycling as I usually push too hard. I have just upped my game and  done three 25 mile walks in quick succession last 2 weeks and to be honest I felt it slightly on the calf muscles when I finished and slept like baby each of those nights.

This afternoon I managed to get a 25 mile bike ride in and out of nowhere I upped my average mileage by nearly 1 mph which is huge at this stage of my cycling life and my Gamin showed I was only low impacting.

Has to be those long walks?

Something I am going to keep doing with a rucksack on my back and a good meal for on route, I do find that if I do fitness and am enjoying it I tend to not skip and do it for longer and I enjoyed those walks.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 6

Tie it into a pub crawl. 30 mins walking, 15 mins for a pint of CASK. Much more fun than sat in one pub having six pints over two hours. 

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness

As the saying goes "Most people's hard training isn't hard enough and their easy training isn't easy enough".

I stuck rigidly to a programme that included fasted Z1 sessions and lots of Z2 MAF sessions over last winter.  Mentally it was so hard because it was such a leap of faith to do something that felt that easy and I was convinced it wouldn't make a difference. It did.  Same as the Keto diet, I only did it to "prove" that it was nonsense and I actually proved the opposite both times.

• Informative 3

haroldshand
1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

As the saying goes "Most people's hard training isn't hard enough and their easy training isn't easy enough".

I stuck rigidly to a programme that included fasted Z1 sessions and lots of Z2 MAF sessions over last winter.  Mentally it was so hard because it was such a leap of faith to do something that felt that easy and I was convinced it wouldn't make a difference. It did.  Same as the Keto diet, I only did it to "prove" that it was nonsense and I actually proved the opposite both times.

I remember reading up about that quite a few years ago and it stating that I had to keep my heart rate at a certain level which meant I would only be doing no less than 7.45 minute miles while running training, I just could not get my head around it and stopped doing it.

This walking has made me think again

nirvana
3 hours ago, haroldshand said:

my Gamin showed I was only low impacting.

how does that work then? heart rate and blood pressure?

nirvana
2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Same as the Keto diet, I only did it to "prove" that it was nonsense and I actually proved the opposite both times.

apparently some scientists did that to try and prove Paul McCartney hadn't been replaced.....and concluded he had xD

• Lol 2

I had a book titled something like 'Total Fitness in 30 minutes a Week'. Written by one of the guys who helped develop a training program for astronauts in zero gravity.

It was pulse rate related. Choose the desired pulse rate, say 120 bpm, and make enough effort to stay at 120bpm. That way, no matter the level of fitness, eg. recovering from an illness, the difficulty of effort is the same although the actual results of the effort could be lower or higher.

An example given was a guy using 6 or so flights of stairs instead of the lift at work. Early days, slowly walking up the stairs was enough for 120bpm. As he got fitter, he needed to jog up the stairs to maintain 120bpm.

• Informative 3
  • Cheers 1

haroldshand
19 hours ago, nirvana said:

how does that work then? heart rate and blood pressure?

It does monitor heat rate, not sure about blood pressure.

I have had days though when I have been wrecked and when I download it comes out at impacting when it should be at least high impacting going on how I feel. I don't read too much into it though, I just want the distances and my heart rates at certain stages is quite useful.

I don't train so much in the pool now but amazed me how accurate it was with measuring distance

• Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness
4 hours ago, jm51 said:

I had a book titled something like 'Total Fitness in 30 minutes a Week'. Written by one of the guys who helped develop a training program for astronauts in zero gravity.

It was pulse rate related. Choose the desired pulse rate, say 120 bpm, and make enough effort to stay at 120bpm. That way, no matter the level of fitness, eg. recovering from an illness, the difficulty of effort is the same although the actual results of the effort could be lower or higher.

An example given was a guy using 6 or so flights of stairs instead of the lift at work. Early days, slowly walking up the stairs was enough for 120bpm. As he got fitter, he needed to jog up the stairs to maintain 120bpm.

This is the positive-negative that fries my brain on a daily basis.   On the one hand I am thrilled that I can do speeds now at low-ish heart rates that used to cost me so much more.  On the other hand, a lower heart rate means fewer calories burned for the same time duration of a ride so the whole "harder, faster longer" starts to apply and that is a route to madness that never ends.

On 01/06/2022 at 18:50, stop_the_craziness said:

It does seem to work. But bores me a little. 

My best 5k time was when I was training for a half marathon (Never did it injury).

The 5k's just seemed so easy. A lot of it in the head I reckon. 

Was 19.06 and the last k was 3.39. I look back at that now and think Jesus fuck xD

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ccc said:

It does seem to work. But bores me a little. 

My best 5k time was when I was training for a half marathon (Never did it injury).

The 5k's just seemed so easy. A lot of it in the head I reckon. 

Was 19.06 and the last k was 3.39. I look back at that now and think Jesus fuck xD

I remember when I used to run in Leeds. There was a stretch down from Headingley through Woodhouse Moor into Leeds when I was in full on sprint mode for a km or two. 

Had to use the bus lane o.O

When you're at peak fitness it's fucking mint. 

Imagine seeing a 14 stone fella running at 15mph. People even on the pavement moved out of the way...

Edited by Stuey
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

This is the positive-negative that fries my brain on a daily basis.   On the one hand I am thrilled that I can do speeds now at low-ish heart rates that used to cost me so much more.  On the other hand, a lower heart rate means fewer calories burned for the same time duration of a ride so the whole "harder, faster longer" starts to apply and that is a route to madness that never ends.

Surely that only matters if interested in weight loss, so need to move to HIIT style workouts if not got the time for the longer stuff, otherwise efficiency just makes everything more tolerable with less risk of injury.

Calorie burn goals are like wanting to use up a load of fuel in the car so banging it into a lower gear than necessary. Then the price of fuel goes through the roof so should have hung onto it ... xD

I walk a fait bit, but not normally more than a few miles, I do however run a lot, mostly zone 1 & 2 so it's very easy effort. I find it very relaxing and great for my state of mind. The only limit is my time, if I had more free time, I'd run more.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I hike a fair bit , and reckon I am pretty fit for a guy my age of 67 . Have done heavy lifting all my life , but it is walking that I feel keeps me fit . I can still muster twenty miles at a push .

For me it is not just about all round fitness and strengh though , but mental alertness too.

I was looking for an article about walking and theta brain waves , I read a while back. I couldn`t find it but came across this. A tad wordy but I thought it interesting .

"Going on a walk makes your mind wander in ways that neuroscience is only just coming to terms with"

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/28/walking-and-spontaneous-fluctuations-brain/

• Agree 1
  • Informative 5

• 4 weeks later...
haroldshand
On 03/06/2022 at 13:07, snaga said:

I walk a fait bit, but not normally more than a few miles, I do however run a lot, mostly zone 1 & 2 so it's very easy effort. I find it very relaxing and great for my state of mind. The only limit is my time, if I had more free time, I'd run more.

I am going to have to start researching the zone 1 and 2 stuff again, that's the keeping the heart rate at a low level right?.

When I do train like that I enjoy it far more because I am not going through so much pain, my runs always ended with a layer of salt all over my face from pushing to hard and then after a few months solid training I just crash and have to build up again.

haroldshand
On 03/06/2022 at 13:19, Gin said:

I hike a fair bit , and reckon I am pretty fit for a guy my age of 67 . Have done heavy lifting all my life , but it is walking that I feel keeps me fit . I can still muster twenty miles at a push .

For me it is not just about all round fitness and strengh though , but mental alertness too.

I was looking for an article about walking and theta brain waves , I read a while back. I couldn`t find it but came across this. A tad wordy but I thought it interesting .

"Going on a walk makes your mind wander in ways that neuroscience is only just coming to terms with"

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/28/walking-and-spontaneous-fluctuations-brain/

I had a weird one the other day, basically I was up and ready at 3.30 am having really just stayed awake all night and went on a 10 mile ish walk and digging loads of holes on route for worms(don't ask) and went through 48 hours awake basically.

My legs were slaughtered and to think only last year I was running 10 miles in less than 1 hr 25, distance walking is far better than I could have ever imagined.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, haroldshand said:

I am going to have to start researching the zone 1 and 2 stuff again, that's the keeping the heart rate at a low level right?.

When I do train like that I enjoy it far more because I am not going through so much pain, my runs always ended with a layer of salt all over my face from pushing to hard and then after a few months solid training I just crash and have to build up again.

yes, zone 1 & 2 are very low effort, the sports scientists define it as

zone 1 = no detectable rise in base blood lactate level

zone 2 = small rise above base level, but body clears it quickly, <2.0 Lactate (mmol∙L-1)

There are online calculators to get good estimate of your zones based on max heart rate, and various performance tests to estimate lactate turn points etc.

But you can ignore all that when getting started and just go for a trail run, put some tunes on, or listen to a podcast etc if you like, and chill. Don't think of it as training at all, just enjoyment. Walk bits if you want, it's not a race, leave your ego at home. Keep the effort low, run at a pace your think you can hold all day and keep a conversation going. Go and explore

Start at about an hour, and slowly build up, eventually you really will be able to hold that "all day pace" all day, and night if you really want :)

• Informative 2