DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Isle Of Man TT 2022

Caravan Monster

Caravan Monster

First week of June again and herds of the two wheeled faithful can be heard howling and rumbling up the M6 bound for Liverpool and Heysham. Thread for anything anyone wants to post. Unfortunately there's been a fatal accident this year during practice week. 

This chap looks to be making a decent effort producing a vlog that shows it from the racer's viewpoint:

Whatever happened to that bloke who rode a jetski across the Irish Sea to see his burd when the IoM authorities decided to try for zero 'covid' and went full prison island xD

Uncle Buck Rogers
35 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

First week of June again and herds of the two wheeled faithful can be heard howling and rumbling up the M6 bound for Liverpool and Heysham. Thread for anything anyone wants to post. Unfortunately there's been a fatal accident this year during practice week. 

This chap looks to be making a decent effort producing a vlog that shows it from the racer's viewpoint:

Whatever happened to that bloke who rode a jetski across the Irish Sea to see his burd when the IoM authorities decided to try for zero 'covid' and went full prison island xD

Why do all online videos have to contain shite and loud music over them now? It stops me from watching them.

Been looking at campervan conversion videos and 8/10 are like that. 

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

Why do all online videos have to contain shite and loud music over them now? It stops me from watching them.

Been looking at campervan conversion videos and 8/10 are like that. 

And it's 90% beep beep music with distorted - pitch raised - vocals.

Stick some unobtrusive classical in the background and it will give the video a bit of class like Kubrick's 2001 film.

I find the TT ridiculously dangerous; fair play to anyone who rides a country road between stone walls at the mental speeds that they average; average ffs.

This has 22m views and is from a head cam; as well as the road and walls the rapid shift from bright sunshine to shade would really throw me.  Plus at points the riders are only inches apart.

Sometimes you have to accept that there are certain things that you will never do and for me that's one of them.

Edited by Frank Hovis
typo
  • Agree 2

Never knew much about the TT or a certain Guy Martin until I watched the documentary below, and have since watched the TT coverage most years it's been held since. B|

Nice use of an appropriate closing song, Kasabian "Fire". xD

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

What gets me beyond the balls required to go around the course at those speeds on a motorbike is how do they prevent animals straying into the roads?

Surely a competitor has been taken out by a cat or dog, or wildlife on the country lane sections, before now?

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Never knew much about the TT or a certain Guy Martin until I watched the documentary below, and have since watched the TT coverage most years it's been held since. B|

Nice use of an appropriate closing song, Kasabian "Fire". xD

Have you thought of going one time?

I've not known anyone who has and I have know a great number of people over the years.  I have the impression that it's all hardcore bikers; I'm not suggesting that anyone would be discouraged or unwelcome rather that the numbers are fairly small and the keen bikers book up all the accommodation months before.

This is similar to the Cheltenham Gold Cup where I was in a B&B long term and had to move into a small room for that week because the main rooms had all been booked up a year before.

I'm speculating but I do find it strange that I don't know anyone who has gone; though whilst I have known the odd biker I've not known any lifelong bikers.

Frank Hovis
4 minutes ago, BoSon said:

What gets me beyond the balls required to go around the course at those speeds on a motorbike is how do they prevent animals straying into the roads?

Surely a competitor has been taken out by a cat or dog, or wildlife on the country lane sections, before now?

Tbh, and I know you live down this way, my first thought was "deer".  I've had to come to a halt on the A38 Dobwalls bypass because of one running back and forth across the road and I know someone who ran one over because it leaped from a hedge right in front of their car when they were doing 30 and they had no chance of braking.

My personal best was on the road between the A390 and Tregony.  A huge stag started walking across the road between field openings at the top of a hill.  They weren't going to hurry up for a mere car so I sat and watched and was impressed.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've not known anyone who has and I have know a great number of people over the years.  I have the impression that it's all hardcore bikers; I'm not suggesting that anyone would be discouraged or unwelcome rather that the numbers are fairly small and the keen bikers book up all the accommodation months before.

This is similar to the Cheltenham Gold Cup where I was in a B&B long term and had to move into a small room for that week because the main rooms had all been booked up a year before.

I'm speculating but I do find it strange that I don't know anyone who has gone; though whilst I have known the odd biker I've not known any lifelong bikers.

Nah, it's like you say with Cheltenham, better to watch it on TV instead of just a small view of the whole thing from whatever vantage point you can secure.

I used to go out boozing with some bikers back in the day and they put me off taking biking up with some of the stories they had of either their own incidents or those of deceased friends.

I did do the CBT and get a restricted 125 for a year or so until the engine packed in and too costly to repair, with a view to passing the test but never got beyond that. I was always too aware of the dangers of not being in control of other idiots on the road, so could be the safest biker in the world but someone else will still try to kill you and it's more luck/good fortunate to become an old biker with a fully working body.

Is the TT covered more extensively live anywhere or just the normal ITV4 highlights daily coverage available in the UK?

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass
18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And it's 90% beep beep music with distorted - pitch raised - vocals.

Stick some unobtrusive classical in the background and it will give the video a bit of class like Kubrick's 2001 film.

I find the TT ridiculously dangerous; fair play to anyone who rides a country road between stone walls at the mental speeds that they average; average ffs.

This has 22m views and is from a head cam; as well as the road and walls the rapid shift from bright sunshine to shade would really throw me.  Plus at points the riders are only inches apart.

Sometimes you have to accept that there are certain things that you will never do and for me that's one of them.

Just watched that and I feel like throwing up from motion sickness.

• Agree 2

Caravan Monster
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've been a few times years ago. TBH it's not all that great unless you're a young bloke on holiday with your mates or perhaps an old timer reliving your youth. Spectating is a bit crap because the closed roads mean you get stuck in one place for hours and they come past so fast that it's impossible to even tell who the rider was. Also very crowded and expensive, iirc £300 / bike or £900 / van on the ferry, which can be a multi hour puke fest in bad weather. The Island itself is a fantastic place though, especially if you're into bikes. 

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Tbh, and I know you live down this way, my first thought was "deer".  I've had to come to a halt on the A38 Dobwalls bypass because of one running back and forth across the road and I know someone who ran one over because it leaped from a hedge right in front of their car when they were doing 30 and they had no chance of braking.

My personal best was on the road between the A390 and Tregony.  A huge stag started walking across the road between field openings at the top of a hill.  They weren't going to hurry up for a mere car so I sat and watched and was impressed.

Yeah I had a muntjack deer (aka the tiny one) almost write off my car when one decided to bounce off the front of it down some dark country lane one night. I wasn't even going that fast as I'd clocked some strange eyes picking up the headlights from a distance so slowed down to what I thought was enough and the daft thing decided to jump out just as I was passing it, dead on impact.

Frank Hovis
6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I had to stop watching; it was too realistic and the rapid flickering from bright sunlight to shade was unsettling me.

That I struggle to even watch the video underlines that I will never do this!

Frank Hovis
9 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Nah, it's like you say with Cheltenham, better to watch it on TV instead of just a small view of the whole thing from whatever vantage point you can secure.

I used to go out boozing with some bikers back in the day and they put me off taking biking up with some of the stories they had of either their own incidents or those of deceased friends.

I did do the CBT and get a restricted 125 for a year or so until the engine packed in and too costly to repair, with a view to passing the test but never got beyond that. I was always too aware of the dangers of not being in control of other idiots on the road, so could be the safest biker in the world but someone else will still try to kill you and it's more luck/good fortunate to become an old biker with a fully working body.

Is the TT covered more extensively live anywhere or just the normal ITV4 highlights daily coverage available in the UK?

I passed my CBT in west London at a place where they were volunteers wanting to make riders safe.  Instead of the usual half day their course went on for weeks, half a day a week, and they wouldn't let you out onto the road until they were entirely convinced of your competency. 

The price was nominal, to cover the costs of the bikes, and the typical time to pass was a month; I was about six weeks.  There was one woman who was there when I started and there when I left.  She was on the twist and go moped rather than the 125s with gears that the rest of us had but even this was beyond her mastery; every time she became at all stressed she frogot which was the accelerator and which the brake so had still not been allowed out onto a public road. 

I saw her careering off across the field one time andd another time an isntrructor was straining to pull the moped out from under the fence where she had managed to get it stuck.

She might still be there.  Or more likely gave up and bought an ebike instead whenever they came out.

Anyway the training was sufficiently extensive, and the London traffic so heavy, that I decided that it was too dangerous to ride a bike in London and haven't been tempted since.

4 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Yeah I had a muntjack deer (aka the tiny one) almost write off my car when one decided to bounce off the front of it down some dark country lane one night. I wasn't even going that fast as I'd clocked some strange eyes picking up the headlights from a distance so slowed down to what I thought was enough and the daft thing decided to jump out just as I was passing it, dead on impact.

They aren't the brightest.

I lived in the IOM for a few years, 1970/1971. I'm guessing that it won't have changed much. 

When the tourist blurb says: 'Preserved for your enjoyment', that's code for: 'Every expense spared'. :)

As said, you don't see much as a spectator although Manx Radio gives a running commentary. The atmosphere during TT week is electric and the place was heaving. Choose a B&B with a bar. The pubs are so busy that you can spend more time trying to get served than drinking.

If you want a quiet holiday, go the week after TT week, hardly any tourists.

I've never heard of a racer hitting an animal. The bikes are probably noisy enough to keep the wildlife away. There's no TT Zero this year. They are are the only racing bikes that have to have a horn.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Caravan Monster
18 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Riding bikes is very good for some people because the level of concentration and physicality clears the mind like nothing else. Road racers are on a different level - I don't think most people could concentrate and process at that speed and intensity. The TT is a time trial, so you are racing the clock, for another level of insanity check out the Irish road races, where it's an actual race. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight

Sadly the Isle of Wight TT didn't manage to jump through all the hoops required this year.

Fingers crossed for next year.

Carl Fimble
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Riding bikes is very good for some people because the level of concentration and physicality clears the mind like nothing else. Road racers are on a different level - I don't think most people could concentrate and process at that speed and intensity. The TT is a time trial, so you are racing the clock, for another level of insanity check out the Irish road races, where it's an actual race. 

Holy shit!

Mental, and then it rains too!!

3 minutes and 57 second long. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Adding the video length
  • Agree 1

Carl Fimble
21 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Sadly the Isle of Wight TT didn't manage to jump through all the hoops required this year.

Fingers crossed for next year.

Did their Zimmer frames get stuck?

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Did their Zimmer frames get stuck?

No. A lot of the mobility scooters failed scrutineering.

• Lol 2

Caravan Monster
11 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Holy shit!

Mental, and then it rains too!!

3 minutes and 57 second long. 

Balls of steel, seems to be an especially Northern Irish thing. At least on a track there's run off an barriers, whereas the spectators are sat on the verge there xD

Carl Fimble
15 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Balls of steel, seems to be an especially Northern Irish thing. At least on a track there's run off an barriers, whereas the spectators are sat on the verge there xD

Group B bike racing! 

Fantastic, cheers!!

• Cheers 1

Joncrete Cungle

Will get over to the TT one day, love watching it on TV. It's the last outpost against nanny state knows best elf n safety toxic feminism. It's dangerous, people will get hurt, people will die and it is exhilarating.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

Will get over to the TT one day, love watching it on TV. It's the last outpost against nanny state knows best elf n safety toxic feminism. It's dangerous, people will get hurt, people will die and it is exhilarating.

I am fairly sure we will get ours running next year. Much easier to get to. And a brilliant course.

There will have to be a meet up.

• Cheers 1

Caravan Monster
2 hours ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

Afraid the nonsense has even infected the TT. Would like to know the details of making it 'zero carbon', get a very dubious vibe off the projects mentioned in this article - stinks of globalist loonery and suspicious accounting theories:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61573030

• Lol 1