DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Isle Of Man TT 2022

Caravan Monster

3 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

maybe the jab or omicron has affected their reaction times or clarity of thought just enough to cause these accidents

Exactly my thoughts. 

That's a very large jump in numbers. 

Both the jab and the myth itself are closely linked to tinnitus / balance type issues. 

Even if you have a very minor version of it. You might not even know it - it's that subtle.

But being three inches away from a kerb at 150mph.....

Caravan Monster
1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

What’s the margin for error at those speeds on a bike? I’m not familiar with TT but I did used to watch WRC rally highlights back in the day and that was insane. Had a Co-driver helping them though.

It's a fine margin between going fast enough against the clock without mis-remembering braking points and corner apexes. The guy in the videos that looks like an ageing milky bar kid takes the first timers around to try and teach them the course before they start practising. Course knowledge and experience is very important, which is why unlikely looking little old men often win. Joey Dunlop, generally regarded as the greatest of all time, survived the TT for decades but lost his life at a track race in Estonia iirc. Those close to him believed the accident happened because he wasn't focused after his mate had recently committed suicide.  At those speeds you have to zone out the noise of the little details of the road and be looking quarter a mile ahead. It's accentuated because the bikes are so small now and the riders really have to hunch down to get down behind the screen, but you can see in parts of this video how far ahead the rider is looking to be able to act accordingly:

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

King Penda

There is no section on gambling sites for deaths of horses or people in sports I know I’ve looked but you can bet on the next prime minister 

20 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

It's a fine margin between going fast enough against the clock without mis-remembering braking points and corner apexes. The guy in the videos that looks like an ageing milky bar kid takes the first timers around to try and teach them the course before they start practising. Course knowledge and experience is very important, which is why unlikely looking little old men often win. Joey Dunlop, generally regarded as the greatest of all time, survived the TT for decades but lost his life at a track race in Estonia iirc. Those close to him believed the accident happened because he wasn't focused after his mate had recently committed suicide.  At those speeds you have to zone out the noise of the little details of the road and be looking quarter a mile ahead. It's accentuated because the bikes are so small now and the riders really have to hunch down to get down behind the screen, but you can see in parts of this video how far ahead the rider is looking to be able to act accordingly:

Second place (Dean Harrison) in yesterday's Senior TT had a bird strike (a pigeon or something flew out of a hedge) put a hole in his bike screen on the first of the 6 laps. If it had been a bit higher he may have been severely injured before even hitting anything else. :o

I think in that TT Closer To The Edge documentary following Guy Martin's progress one year, he was using some video game of the course to get familiarisation with it before heading out for the real practice. Likely a good idea especially for this year after such a gap since last held due to covid, and in a video game it can simulate the speed of reference points better than driving around in a car which some do to get pointers off the TT pros.

Not sure if they offer those course tours for the public, like 'the ring' taxi which the late great Sabine Schmitz was famous for, ragging passengers around in a BMW M5, or Van if from Top Gear. xD

• Agree 1

belfastchild
23 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Not sure if they offer those course tours for the public,

Public roads, no speed limits outside towns. I didnt get anywhere near the bike speeds in a car even though it was a sunday morning and little/no traffic.

I have friends who race in the TT. I stopped going with them to road races when their kids were born. I have a photo of me on the NW200 grid start about 15 years ago. At least half of the guys on there arent with us any more (Davy Morgan being the latest).

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 3

Green Devil
22 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Amazing. I watched the TT senior on ITV4. Fortunately, C5 had the F1 afterwards. So i watched the F1 qualification on C5. Really there cant be anything more different. Its really an example of what happens when you wokeify motorsport. They are just miles apart in every way. TT is the least bastion of real motorsport. Before health and safety and the green agenda ruin it.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, belfastchild said:

Public roads, no speed limits outside towns. I didnt get anywhere near the bike speeds in a car even though it was a sunday morning and little/no traffic.

I have friends who race in the TT. I stopped going with them to road races when their kids were born. I have a photo of me on the NW200 grid start about 15 years ago. At least half of the guys on there arent with us any more (Davy Morgan being the latest).

Msasive respect to the people that do this but I do wonder at the judgement of some of the older folk who still do it; your reaction times are never going to match someone half your age. Most of the people who die at the IoM TT seem to be 50 plus.

3 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Amazing. I watched the TT senior on ITV4. Fortunately, C5 had the F1 afterwards. So i watched the F1 qualification on C5. Really there cant be anything more different. Its really an example of what happens when you wokeify motorsport. They are just miles apart in every way. TT is the least bastion of real motorsport. Before health and safety and the green agenda ruin it.

Do the F1 twats still wear covid face coverings outdoors so people watching them on telly can't lip read them? xD

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Msasive respect to the people that do this but I do wonder at the judgement of some of the older folk who still do it; your reaction times are never going to match someone half your age. Most of the people who die at the IoM TT seem to be 50 plus.

Aye, there was mention that this year may be John McGuinness' last outing (apparently he's now 50 but seems a older than that, perhaps because he's been around for so long) having reached 100 goes at the TT over the last 20 odd years.

He's been drifting further behind the podium in recent years so hope he does call it a day before he becomes a statistic.

belfastchild
1 hour ago, spunko said:

I never understood it. I did understand them though, you just cant get that sort of thrill again in real life. It will never happen to me type thing although the odds are stacked against you at times.

Ive been involved in some of the fatalities discussions and unsurprisingly its mistakes but mistakes way back. I cant go in to some of them but things like, changing bike setups to give yourself a fractional edge only to hit a bump on the track which puts that small change out of tolerance and you are straight to the scene of the fatal accident.

I know a couple of guys who had big offs or big enough scares to take it as a warning. Then you have the likes of Robert Dunlop who had a career ending accident only to adapt the bike so he could race again. That didnt end well when he hit in the brake instead of the clutch as only one hand worked and both controls had to be on the same side of the bike.

13 minutes ago, BoSon said:

He's been drifting further behind the podium in recent years so hope he does call it a day before he becomes a statistic.

Same here.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2022 at 08:51, spunko said:

I find the TT Zero to be even more mesmerising 

The idea of riding a ebike at the TT is idiotic to me. The TT is about the sound and the smell of burnt fuel. The TT Zero isnt a future how the TT should be. Can the zero now, before they get the idea that the future is zero, because it aint.

Edited by Green Devil
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Green Devil said:

The idea of riding a ebike at the TT is idiotic to me. The TT is about the sound and the smell of burnt fuel. The TT Zero isnt a future how the TT should be. Can the zero now, before they get the idea that the future is zero, because it aint.

I know it's controversial but I love that whine from an electric motor personally, plus they're even faster. I see benefits to both :Jumping:

20 hours ago, spunko said:

I know it's controversial but I love that whine from an electric motor personally, plus they're even faster. I see benefits to both :Jumping:

It's like listening to a washing machine.

• Lol 1

11 hours ago, BoSon said:

As long as it has the vibrating pillion seat for the missus. xD

Ive never tried that (shagging on a washing machine if thats what you mean) , but i did walk into a public laundrette once, in which a young couple were shagging on the washing machine 😂 you'd think they would check there were no other active washing machines about to finish before they started... 

Edited by Green Devil
  • Lol 1