DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

How much does a gearbox weigh?

Ninja

Got a bit of noise coming from my 5 speed manual, so was considering getting a scrappy replacement and swapping it in.  Now I have seen someone on YT with the exact same car do it so know the procedure, but having never lifted one how heavy are they?

Andersen

The problem isn't just the weight, it's that you need to manouver it into position when you fit it ! Removing the old one is easier as you are pulling things apart, when assembling you need to line everything up then slide the engine & box together. Without knowing what type of car I'd guess it's under 25kg.

Do you have a car lift? Engine crane? Front or rear wheel drive? What car? Lots of shredded wheat in stock?? Older RWD are easy as you can slide the box out without disturbing the engine. Modern FWD are hard work as you need to disconnect lots and maybe remove the engine & box as 1 lump, then swap the box...

More details needed ;) 

• Agree 1

I’ve done a few. To lay under the car and lift it in no problem on the average FWD car I’d say you’d need to fall under the physically strong category ie manual lifting aspect to your job/lift weights. It would be fairly straightforward to Jerry rig something like a wooden support beam across the engine to winch up of any number of other ways to assist though.

Some are pretty light I think when I did a clutch change on a Focus I slid it under and just reached through the engine bay and lifted it into place.

There are mechanic shortcuts like just disconnecting one side of the lower arm and pulling the drive shaft from the box and leaving everything in situ but for anyone not doing it all the time you might find the space restriction more time consuming than stripping out everything wheel side. Personally, I’d put new drive shaft seals in the gearbox whilst I had it out.

• Informative 1

nirvana
12 hours ago, Ninja said:

Got a bit of noise coming from my 5 speed manual, so was considering getting a scrappy replacement and swapping it in

is it worth seeing if you can upgrade to a more modern 6 speed one whilst you're on? might actually be more common and actually cheaper too

6 hours ago, nirvana said:

is it worth seeing if you can upgrade to a more modern 6 speed one whilst you're on? might actually be more common and actually cheaper too

I did consider that but it seems they are more common for diesels in my case.

I say I was thinking of replacing the whole gearbox but only because there's a noise coming from one side where that sides drive shaft goes in (shaft is fine).  It feels/sounds like the something is slack or lose in the differential bit but I can't see in to specify where or why.

I presume there no fix for that unspecified noise?

nirvana
5 minutes ago, Ninja said:

I presume there no fix for that unspecified noise?

not a mechanic I'm afraid although gone through lots o cars.....does it actually change gear ok? if so it might just be a shaft bearing or diff or......

@Andersenor @SNACRor @Option5might know better?

actually methinks the 'sheep dudes' know lots about metal things that move lol ie @onlymeand @Chewing Grass

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nirvana said:

not a mechanic I'm afraid although gone through lots o cars.....does it actually change gear ok? if so it might just be a shaft bearing or diff or......

Gear changing itself is fine, and if I jack it up and manually rotate the drive shaft even in neutral, I can hear (and feel) some knocking/clacking in the very bottom of the gearbox so assumes that's the differential bit of it.

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

Make and model.

Volvo V50 1.8L, but essentially a Focus in disguise - I think the gearbox even has Ford written on it from memory.

Option5

The M88 gearbox can be a bit noisy, a humming noise is common. Otherwise they're pretty indestructable provided the oil level is ok.

If it is gearbox it's most likely to be a bearing.

Whenever I hear strange noises from the drivetrain I always assume it's the clutch, driveshafts or associated bits before the gearbox.

Does it make the noise with the clutch disengaged?

With the engine running and the gearbox in neutral?

Does the noise change when pressing the clutch pedal?

Chewing Grass

@Ninja@nirvana I have changed gearboxes in the past, only ever did it when they actually broke, had a couple of cars with noisy gearboxes and they carried on for tens of thousands of miles. One had even spat a bearing cage out on one of the layshafts, made a fearsome noise idling but was OK running presumably because the balls in it were whizzing round which centralised the shaft. Had a mini with fucked syncromesh and I still to this day subconciously double the clutch when changing down to 3rd.

If the box is working just wait until it actually becomes a problem rather than a noise.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Cosmic
Posted (edited)

Definitely more than the 25kg suggested above. More in to 40-50kg IME.

I'm not strong, but have done one on the drive, lifting it on a jack and using various bits of wood to pry and position it once in the bay to line up the shaft.

Frustratingly after getting the box in and out in a day, the problem turned out not to be related (engine wouldn't turn past a particular point in the cycle, removed the box assuming obstruction on the flywheel... turned out the obstruction with in cylinder 1 :( )

Edited by Cosmic

Big Boy

I've done two clutches over the last couple of years (Subaru and Vauxhall*).  My Subaru's gearbox is quite heavy and I used a specific gearbox jack for that.

The Vauxhall gearbox weighs around 50kg and initially I tried to just do it by hand.  However, holding 50kg with bent arms while nudging other shit out of the way and trying to get the locating pins lined up becomes tiring quickly.  Also, getting it on the chest to press up wasn't trivial in the confined space under the car - and I'm not a weakling...

I tried a trolley jack underneath, but it's a very irregular shape to balance on a jack.  In the end, I used a piece of wood across the engine bay, with one end on the inner wing by the gearbox, the other lifted by a partner, and the gearbox hanging from the wood by a sling.  Leverage means that it's not only an easy lift for the partner but also gives fine control.

However, I agree with @Chewing Grass - I would wait until it's an actual problem.  Replacing a gearbox is a lot of work - front subframe off for the Vauxhall.  If you (@Ninja) do it, you won't want to do it twice, so I suggest you also replace your clutch etc. while you're in there.

* The Subaru had done 200,000 miles of hard driving, the Vauxhall only 99,000.  When I got the Vauxhall clutch out the plate was incorrect (5mm undersize on the diameter).  Cheers Vauxhall!

longtomsilver

A ton of gearboxes weighs the same as a ton of feathers. I think I've answered this accurately and conclusively.

6 hours ago, Big Boy said:

The Vauxhall gearbox weighs around 50kg and initially I tried to just do it by hand.  However, holding 50kg with bent arms while nudging other shit out of the way and trying to get the locating pins lined up becomes tiring quickly.  Also, getting it on the chest to press up wasn't trivial in the confined space under the car - and I'm not a weakling...

Poof. Most people here bench press half a ton.

• Cheers 1

whitevanman

I once changed the gearbox on the wife’s mx5. It wasn’t too bad, nice light gearbox and easy location on a rear drive car.

Front drive cars are more difficult. Front wheel drive diesel cars with turbos and intercoolers are complete bastards. You need extendable fingers just to reach the bell housing bolts. Then you forget where all the clips, pipes, connectors, brackets and cables are supposed to go. You’re better off quietly pushing the car off a cliff and forgetting all about it.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2