DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

BTL selling up says independent

sarahbell

Heart's Ease

Anecdotal. I had a new consumer unit and part rewire done in around 2010 by local Part P qualified electrician. Very happy with the work. Fast forward to 2015 and we are moving house. The Property Information Form from the solicitors (I assume buyers solicitors) asked me to provide either:

- a copy of a signed BS7671 electrical safety certificate,
- the installers Building Regulations Compliance Certificate,
- or the Building Control Completion Certificate.

for the electrical work which had been carried out.  I had no record of any of this, but I could at least still contact the electrician who had done the work, and ask him to check his records. The punchline is that he had never filled out the BS7671 form at the time and when he did turn up to fill it out on a retrospective basis *the consumer unit only just made the current code*.  Took a few more weeks to resolve to solicitors liking. Squeaky bum time for me and the electrician both.

I didn't even cut corners and I was potentially in deep sh*t. My question: is this an unusual one off or is it coming back to bite others?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

sancho panza
3 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

That is correct.

Wow.....So if they'll struggle to get anyone to sign off the installation what are their options? Is it a matter of time before they find a gas safe engineer to sign it off? Or do you think your syance will be more common. 

I'm pretty stunned that any LL would scrimp on one of the two or three things that could get them in court on criminal charges if something untoward happened

Bobthebuilder
33 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Wow.....So if they'll struggle to get anyone to sign off the installation what are their options? Is it a matter of time before they find a gas safe engineer to sign it off? Or do you think your syance will be more common. 

Gas safe have published guidelines for re-commissioning un notified works, but as you can imagine they are very strict and expensive. They want you to re run the gas pipe, remove the boiler from the wall, check all the flue seals, re install, test and commission. Plus any other upgrades to comply with current regs.

Its like opening a can of worms really, that's why most gas guys would not be interested.

I would suppose the buyers solicitor would push for a price reduction to pay for this.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

The pet thing is a bloody disaster for me.

It won't work though (I hope)

Same here. My strongest line of defence against my kids' demands for a dog has been that the landlord would not allow it.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, kibuc said:

Same here. My strongest line of defence against my kids' demands for a dog has been that the landlord would not allow it.

My reasoning is slightly different. Since so many here have dogs, not having one gives me an edge.

But worse is that I can't live in a house that has had a cat or dog in the last few years unless I replace the carpets.

• Love 1

Bear Hug
On 14/06/2022 at 13:51, MrXxxx said:

image.png.da68c5f7e06fbee9dc46a609e1a1cb0e.png

Sorry enough of this sillyness but I just couldn't resist having watched red for the last 12 months!

Lol I placed a sell mkt order on Monday but it seemed to have taken ages to execute. Cancelled it. Changed to limit, which it never reached on Monday. Lucky. Still got them.

Don Coglione
18 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

My reasoning is slightly different. Since so many here have dogs, not having one gives me an edge.

But worse is that I can't live in a house that has had a cat or dog in the last few years unless I replace the carpets.

Are you not a dog yourself?

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

Are you not a dog yourself?

Yes. But I am not allergic to myself.

But to be serious, I am very allergic to every single furry or feathered animal eexcept greyhounds.

• Cheers 1