• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

M S E Refugee

Anyone's Partner a hoarder.

Yes, kept in check to a degree by me controlling the finances and keeping her on a tight leash but any flat surface will rapidly be covered over with drifts of stuff in any room that she is allowed in.

To be fair, I too am a bit of a hoarder but it's basically junk I get for free that can be repurposed for something and it doesn't go in the house.

A neighbour of mine hoarded to the extent that there was no space left in the house and she ended up sleeping in the bath. There was no heating and the house was damp and full of mice who feasted on piles of rotting rubbish. Nice lady, always gave us a friendly wave.

55 minutes ago, One percent said:

Mr one percent is I think a secret prepper. We have a cupboard full of bloody tinned food. Masses of the bloody stuff. Oh and packet soup. I guess it could be worse as it isn't exactly expensive 

This isn't a bad thing to me as I'm guilty of the same. It's cheap and lasts for decades! 

I think my mum is a hoarder. I'm the complete opposite, very clean to the point that I can't sleep if anything's messy. Spending any hour cleaning every day is a bit of a chore.

I'm the prepper which annoys Mrs B particularly as her Father is a Prepper and not content unless there is 200kg of rice under the stairs, which to be far is a consequence of living through the Iranian revolution and Iran - Iraq war.

My Father is 100x worse than me.

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I'm the prepper which annoys Mrs B particularly as her Father is a Prepper and not content unless there is 200kg of rice under the stairs, which to be far is a consequence of living through the Iranian revolution and Iran - Iraq war.

My Father is 100x worse than me.

I always wondered who bought those 25kg bags of basmati in asda. 

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

This isn't a bad thing to me as I'm guilty of the same. It's cheap and lasts for decades! 

I think my mum is a hoarder. I'm the complete opposite, very clean to the point that I can't sleep if anything's messy. Spending any hour cleaning every day is a bit of a chore.

Hubby is like that. OCD about anything out on show. Open a cupboard door though and the shit just falls out on top of you.  Drives me bloody mad. 

A bit, she hordes lots of useless stuff often given to her by her hoarder mother when she doesn't want it! Some of it goes straight from her car in to the bin. I'm just as bad, buy stuff because I have an idea to make/do something and then don't, it can then sit somewhere for years... If I had the space I'd hoard cars too, fortunately we don't so 3/4 is the max at any one time (unless I leave one on the trailer which gets logistically problematic :))

My mother is pretty bad, when my sister lived with her they would have constant battles about my sister throwing away my mothers 'useful stuff'... anything that was offered when visiting was to be taken, even if you were going to throw it in the nearest skip on the way home... by order of my sister :)

Edited by Northern Welsh Midlander

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

There's only two of us and we buy the 10kg bags of rice and pasta :) I bet a family could go through one quickly enough.

I have a large plastic box with about 3000 light years of CFL's in it which is a bit of blow as we have partly moved onto LED's. The collection is a result of taking advantage of every free Elec Co offer on packets of lights.

I can't bear to just throw them away. My wife says you can pass it down the generations - it should keep the family in light until about 2250.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Me I'm a secret Prepper but I don't do clutter.  I have a food stash with bog roll etc. In my job you realise your whole life's worth of tat ends up in a skip.

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

I have a large plastic box with about 3000 light years of CFL's in it which is a bit of blow as we have partly moved onto LED's. The collection is a result of taking advantage of every free Elec Co offer on packets of lights.

I can't bear to just throw them away. My wife says you can pass it down the generations - it should keep the family in light until about 2250.

Get rid of them now before Mad Mutti decides to charge you money to dispose of them!

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Unless electricity costs mean moving to LEDs is absolutely necessary in the future! Then again the rare metals used in the CFLs may be really valuable in the future.

1 minute ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Unless electricity costs mean moving to LEDs is absolutely necessary in the future! Then again the rare metals used in the CFLs may be really valuable in the future.

Fearing divorce I haven't told my wife I have a box of 8w Phillips CFLs (40) sitting in my Aunts loft which I bought on ebay for 1 pound along with approximately 100 I sifted from a Council office skip which had been dumped by the feckless fuckers I used to work with. I have been giving the older ones to my Aunt - mostly 1990's vintage that suit her light fittings well.

3 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Maybe I am being harsh on my Wife she could be a prepper.

Do prepper's collect plastic cutlery,sachet's of sugar,salt,pepper,tomato sauce etc and bags for life, also we have more Mugs than fucking Starbucks.

Nope, crazy people do! Everytime we may actually need a Coffee sachet (once every few years someone wants Coffee...) every single one is rock solid and useless, even the fresh ones that appeared the week before! And the ketchup gets stored in the fridge... just like they store them at McDona... oh nevermind.

54 minutes ago, Ina said:

Me I'm a secret Prepper but I don't do clutter.  I have a food stash with bog roll etc. In my job you realise your whole life's worth of tat ends up in a skip.

I know exactly what you mean, sorting through my mums house after she died brought home to me the futility of keeping everything. The house was relatively tidy, cluttered but tidy, very clean as my mother was very fastidious about keeping the house clean. Everything was kept in plastic bags, some stuff had been in the same bag for so long that the plastic bag was brittle and degrading. She kept correspondence going back to the 1950s. Not just letters from family and friends but things like letters about hospital appointments, dental appointments, that sort of thing. 

She was a dressmaker so she had accumulated boxes full of buttons; it is difficult to find a matching button, if you needed one I bet she had one that matched exactly. Whether she could find it when needed or not! Cotton reels with most colours ever needed, even short lengths of thread that came from garments that she had to unpick if they had been brought to her for alteration.

Unfortunately though I've observed that we grow up by imitating our parents and I keep far too much as well. Bank statements going back for years, old receipts; kept in case we needed to claim under warranty, the actual item having worn out or not used many years ago. I would have gritted my teeth and thrown it out though.  I suppose there is some hope for me.

I have difficulty in throwing things away, I ask is it useful. Well it may very well be but the question I should ask is "will I ever use it again?".  OPccasionally I'll get round to listing a few things on ebay. If they don't sell well I keep them to relist some time later, which I seldom get round to. 

The only time I have a clear out is when I move home. Guess its about time to sell up and buy somewhere else.

Edited by sleepwello'nights
proof reading

Timely topic..  Mrs Libspero has taken the kids and headed off to stay with the outlaws for a few months.

Aside from leaving my evenings clear to write wine reviews and watch crap films at the cinema,  I'm also in the process of throwing out all of her rubbish.

So far not so bad,   more Tupperware than four households could humanly find use for,   and a ton of old food at the back of the cupboards.  It seems things get pushed to the back and forgotten,  then replaced with new..   I found three jars of horseradish sauce with roughly 2 years between each use by date.  

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Timely topic..  Mrs Libspero has taken the kids and headed off to stay with the outlaws for a few months.

Aside from leaving my evenings clear to write wine reviews and watch crap films at the cinema,  I'm also in the process of throwing out all of her rubbish.

So far not so bad,   more Tupperware than four households could humanly find use for,   and a ton of old food at the back of the cupboards.  It seems things get pushed to the back and forgotten,  then replaced with new..   I found three jars of horseradish sauce with roughly 2 years between each use by date.  

Is she my hubby's sister?  o.O

31 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Has anybody, ever, finished a jar of horseradish sauce before it goes off?

31 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Last year I threw out 10 boxes of out date of Belvita biscuits.