• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Big data meets Big Brother as China moves to rate its citizens

The Chinese government are going to monitor everything everybody does, and give each person a score.

Do stuff the government doesn't like, and you're fucked.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/chinese-government-social-credit-score-privacy-invasion?utm_content=buffer51cad&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Chinese government plans to launch its Social Credit System in 2020. The aim? To judge the trustworthiness – or otherwise – of its 1.3 billion residents

Imagine a world where many of your daily activities were constantly monitored and evaluated: what you buy at the shops and online; where you are at any given time; who your friends are and how you interact with them; how many hours you spend watching content or playing video games; and what bills and taxes you pay (or not). It's not hard to picture, because most of that already happens, thanks to all those data-collecting behemoths like Google, Facebook and Instagram or health-tracking apps such as Fitbit. But now imagine a system where all these behaviours are rated as either positive or negative and distilled into a single number, according to rules set by the government. That would create your Citizen Score and it would tell everyone whether or not you were trustworthy. Plus, your rating would be publicly ranked against that of the entire population and used to determine your eligibility for a mortgage or a job, where your children can go to school - or even just your chances of getting a date.

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

The Chinese government are going to monitor everything everybody does, and give each person a score.

Do stuff the government doesn't like, and you're fucked.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/chinese-government-social-credit-score-privacy-invasion?utm_content=buffer51cad&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Chinese government plans to launch its Social Credit System in 2020. The aim? To judge the trustworthiness – or otherwise – of its 1.3 billion residents

Imagine a world where many of your daily activities were constantly monitored and evaluated: what you buy at the shops and online; where you are at any given time; who your friends are and how you interact with them; how many hours you spend watching content or playing video games; and what bills and taxes you pay (or not). It's not hard to picture, because most of that already happens, thanks to all those data-collecting behemoths like Google, Facebook and Instagram or health-tracking apps such as Fitbit. But now imagine a system where all these behaviours are rated as either positive or negative and distilled into a single number, according to rules set by the government. That would create your Citizen Score and it would tell everyone whether or not you were trustworthy. Plus, your rating would be publicly ranked against that of the entire population and used to determine your eligibility for a mortgage or a job, where your children can go to school - or even just your chances of getting a date.

Fooking hell, the Chinese have been reading 1984. 

The UK almost has something similar in the credit score system.  Who knows what extra bits they include on top of the credit transactions.

China is supposed to be one of the less developed nations (rapidly catching up of course) - maybe it's just more open about what it's doing?

"Planning Outline for the Construction of a Social Credit System".

These days you could easily see something like that debated in Parliament by the treacherous MPs.  Likely it has been already if only in private.

Edited by twocents

"It will forge a public opinion environment where keeping trust is glorious. It will strengthen sincerity in government affairs, commercial sincerity, social sincerity and the construction of judicial credibility."

People might even find out what happened with incidents like the Las Vegas mass murders a bit quicker 9_9

It's an evil world.

So much for people like Mae West who just wanted to grow old disgracefully. 

All innocent fun banned or pay through the nose.

Edited by twocents

Leave the minimum trail is the lesson here: pay in cash where practical, don't carry your mobile phone everywhere, keep off data harvesting social media like Facebook and Twitter.

Simple start: ditch Google for Duckduckgo.

The OP sounds like something out of "They Live"; available in eight chunks on YouTube (there is a full film one but ignore this as it's reversed and at the wrong speed).

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Leave the minimum trail is the lesson here: pay in cash where practical, don't carry your mobile phone everywhere, keep off data harvesting social media like Facebook and Twitter.

Simple start: ditch Google for Duckduckgo.

The OP sounds like something out of "They Live"; available in eight chunks on YouTube (there is a full film one but ignore this as it's reversed and at the wrong speed).

The trouble us if you don't take part you get labelled as antisocial and lose out on work, credit, dating opportunities. It's a bit like the people that don't use credit then find they can't get a mortgage because they have no credit history. 

Rollup Rollup and play the game. 

6 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The trouble us if you don't take part you get labelled as antisocial and lose out on work, credit, dating opportunities. It's a bit like the people that don't use credit then find they can't get a mortgage because they have no credit history. 

I'd recommend watching the film.

It's not a classic or providing of particular insights but it does hammer home what the "system" (globalisation and the endless quest for growth) does to people's lives; albeit by using aliens as a metaphor for it.

I also don't think you need all these things: you are just told that you do and when you are young and unconfident (as I was, as we all were once) you believe it.

I don't like to define myself by what I don't do because it's limiting but I have not used: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook (bar bare registration), online dating, credit rating, don't have a TV so no licence.  I think that my quality of life is improved as a result because of the things I do in the time that I'm not doing those things.

15 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Out-manipulation by stage managing banking and credit, social media and cellphone useage. That's the way you win.

5 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

Out-manipulation by stage managing banking and credit, social media and cellphone useage. That's the way you win.

Employers routinely examine the social media accounts to check the suitability of potential employees. This has led to people setting up accounts and populating them with bland and generic content to satisfy the prying eyes of recruiters. The whole thing is a pointless and wasteful merry-go-round. 

Modern life is rubbish. 

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

A Labour MP has apologised for a series of derogatory online posts about celebrities he made before he was elected to Parliament.

Jared O'Mara joked about having an orgy with members of Girls Aloud and claimed singer Michelle McManus only won Pop Idol "because she was fat".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-41724540

Getting ridiculous now. He made these comments 13 years ago when he was 23. Both comments seem reasonable to me

22 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

The Chinese government plans to launch its Social Credit System in 2020

Fuck me, the SJWs would love that, Social Credit for Virtue Signalling all the things the politicos want you to.

EU politicians would jizz their pants over such a scheme....