• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Dr Chaand Nagpaul, of the British Medical Association ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41692815

Ive had a very few hospital visits - mainly kids with pans on their head.

Each time Ive been into the large regional hospital, whats surprised me is the large number - majority in all cases - of non British.

And by non British I mean people who do not speak English. And they were not European i.e. have access to a EU health card.

Further aricvlce .... health torusims only costs the NHS 0.03%

Balls.

On a crude same per head spend, that would imply one migrant per 1000 patients.

What Ive experienced is ~60% non EU of people waiting in the surgery assessment ward

6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

How would they know? What evidence to they have to make that assertion?

The BMA, at the time however, called that figure "exaggerated" and "unreliable".

Again, anecdotally, the 0.03% figure is nowhere near. Its probably out by 2 orders of magnitude.

As the sceptical surgeon said, these are people seeking complex, expensive treatment.

Once you remove the cheap, GP visits from the figures and concentrate on the treatments costing more than 5k/2h, then I reckon the numbers will be terrible.

It doesn't seem that draconian. The article says that hospitals will have to ask whether someone had lived abroad in the last six months. I guess say no through your interpreter is the only response you will need. 

It says it only applies to non emergency hospital treatment.  A&E, GPs remain unaffected. 

Paper tiger. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Further aricvlce .... health torusims only costs the NHS 0.03%

Balls.

On a crude same per head spend, that would imply one migrant per 1000 patients.

What Ive experienced is ~60% non EU of people waiting in the surgery assessment ward

It's like the refugee crisis and benefits cheats*... 

They mention stats on these things because it hides the real underlying issue, makes it easy to deflect and not actually discuss the root of the problem. 

I'm sure health tourism is possibly a minor figure, never doubted it would be.... but that still doesn't address the problem of a massive strain on the NHS budget from new entrants to the system, while technically valid, who have never contributed anything to the pot and are never likely to have.

I suspect that figure is just people coming to the UK having treatment and then returning to their country of origin. What it won't include are the many thousands of people who now call the UK home that have come here illegally. 

(* genuine refugees are not an issue, very few of them. It's blatant economic migrancy that's the issue. Same with benefit cheats, doesn't cost the taxpayer that much (relative), the issue is  people using benefits as a lifestyle choice, hordes of kids and a free council house)

I think the NHS is a draw for a lot of migrants. If I was a Romanian/ Nigerian with a sickly family member I'd probably want to move to the UK for the free healthcare.

Stop "free" treatment for migrants and a lot of immigration would stop.

Like others, I just don't believe the stated cost of health tourism.

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I think the NHS is a draw for a lot of migrants. If I was a Romanian/ Nigerian with a sickly family member I'd probably want to move to the UK for the free healthcare.

Stop "free" treatment for migrants and a lot of immigration would stop.

Like others, I just don't believe the stated cost of health tourism.

Stop access to all public services.  Schools, housing, health...

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

imho, it's absolutely bizarre that we give social housing to migrants ahead of British people. If a migrant cant afford to rent privately it's fairly clear they will be a burden on the taxpayer.

What annoys me intensely is looking at how much tax I pay.  If the state wasn't supporting all these unproductive people, taxes could be lowered, or spent on things that would genuinely improve the life of tax payer.  

That odious Phil was wittering on about raising taxes in the upcoming budget. He needs to sort out the spending side first. He might just find himself on the end of a rope. 

42 minutes ago, One percent said:

It doesn't seem that draconian. The article says that hospitals will have to ask whether someone had lived abroad in the last six months. I guess say no through your interpreter is the only response you will need. 

It says it only applies to non emergency hospital treatment.  A&E, GPs remain unaffected. 

Paper tiger. 

Access to German health service - by Germans, never mind foriegners - requires you to present a valid health insurance card.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Access to German health service - by Germans, never mind foriegners - requires you to present a valid health insurance card.

Same in theory in France, although like the train service you'll probably only be asked if you are white.

34 minutes ago, One percent said:

What annoys me intensely is looking at how much tax I pay.  If the state wasn't supporting all these unproductive people, taxes could be lowered, or spent on things that would genuinely improve the life of tax payer.  

That odious Phil was wittering on about raising taxes in the upcoming budget. He needs to sort out the spending side first. He might just find himself on the end of a rope. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5007027/UK-pays-millions-pensioners-YEMEN-not-exist.html

I assume all great nations and companies have the same trajectory to the UK. A period of growth where the foundations are laid down for greatness, people work hard, pull together to build something. Success attracts the chancers and scroungers and the wealth that is built up is handed out by people who had no stake in the original period of expansion. Then rapid collapse, the people at the top (politicians, managers) lack the competence or strength to turn things around and just want to bilk the system for what they can get out of it.

32 minutes ago, davidg said:

I assume all great nations and companies have the same trajectory to the UK. A period of growth where the foundations are laid down for greatness, people work hard, pull together to build something. Success attracts the chancers and scroungers and the wealth that is built up is handed out by people who had no stake in the original period of expansion. Then rapid collapse, the people at the top (politicians, managers) lack the competence or strength to turn things around and just want to bilk the system for what they can get out of it.

tbh, I think we are fairly unique in having leaders that idolise immigrants so much. being as impartial as I can, the case for allowing mass immigration into the UK hasn't really been made. However we have politicians that act as if immigrants from Bangladesh and Romania are doing us a massive favour coming here.

Everytime I visit hospital I am already asked where I have lived for the past year, so they are in fact reducing this to 6 months? They also don't require proof if you just say "in the UK" and only ask for document evidence if you say you lived abroad.

Good job immigrants never ever lie.

This has the hallmarks of a government wanting to be seen to do something, whist actually achieving nothing.

Edited by snagger

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41692815

Ive had a very few hospital visits - mainly kids with pans on their head.

Each time Ive been into the large regional hospital, whats surprised me is the large number - majority in all cases - of non British.

And by non British I mean people who do not speak English. And they were not European i.e. have access to a EU health card.

The measures apply to planned, non-urgent care - A&E, maternity, general practice and infectious disease treatment remain free to all.

Let's look at that:

planned
non urgent care - A&E
Maternity
general practice
infectious disease control.

What else is there? 

Sorry I've misread it haven't I.
The measures apply to planned, non-urgent care -

A&E, maternity, general practice and infectious disease treatment remain free to all.

Sorry. Def brain doesn't work very well anymore. Maybe I should try for a GP appt?

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Sorry I've misread it haven't I.
The measures apply to planned, non-urgent care -

A&E, maternity, general practice and infectious disease treatment remain free to all.

Sorry. Def brain doesn't work very well anymore. Maybe I should try for a GP appt?

You'll be lucky 

31 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

tbh, I think we are fairly unique in having leaders that idolise immigrants so much. being as impartial as I can, the case for allowing mass immigration into the UK hasn't really been made. However we have politicians that act as if immigrants from Bangladesh and Romania are doing us a massive favour coming here.

We need them to do the jobs, don't you remember the late 80's and early 90's when we have a 0% un-employment rate?

Just now, gilf said:

We need them to do the jobs, don't you remember the late 80's and early 90's when we have a 0% un-employment rate?

😂😂😂😂😂

we need them to act as a reserve army of labour so as to drive wages and conditions down 

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

imho, it's absolutely bizarre that we give social housing to migrants ahead of British people. If a migrant cant afford to rent privately it's fairly clear they will be a burden on the taxpayer.

The real reason that both main parties are now talking about vast swathes of new council housing - don't want to trigger our newly arrived brethren into petty crime or worse. 

They talk about 300k new council houses. That will sort out the net migration for the next two years. Then what?

9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

The real reason that both main parties are now talking about vast swathes of new council housing - don't want to trigger our newly arrived brethren into petty crime or worse. 

They talk about 300k new council houses. That will sort out the net migration for the next two years. Then what?

You are assuming that the numbers remain stable. Once the world realised that there is free, brand new housing for all, there may well be a massive rise in the numbers arriving.