• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Panther

Tartan

I know we have some Jocks on board, bastards, so just to annoy them in a tourist on Princes Street way, what tartan would you choose from a genuine ye olde tartan shoppe (or is that yon auld tartan shope in the vernacular?)

I quite like Farquharson Modern

tartan-scarf-farquarson-modern-2.jpg

How about none of them, they're all bloody horrible? I mean, those two burds from the film in the pic upthread look alright in tartan but they'd still look a lot better naked.

The only other person I've ever seen wearing tartan I thought looked impressive was a massive barrel-chested bearded major or sergeant-major at some festival or other, leading his fearsome-looking Scots regiment, I reckon he was about 6ft 6 and 120kg with legs like treetrunks. Let's face it, everyone else looks like a twat in a skirt.

From some tartan guru webste:

Anyone can wear almost any tartan, generally there are no restrictions on wearing tartan although some patterns are known as ‘restricted’ meaning they are reserved for some chiefs or the Royal Family. Fortunately these are very rare. Possibly the question you want to ask is ‘what is the appropriate tartan for my name?’

first of all start with your surname; does it appear on our main list of clans? if this is the case then you are well on the way, if not then search our septs and associated names to see if your name links to a clan name in any way. If you still have no luck then there are a couple of options. Firstly you can check back through your family tree and see if a Scottish name comes up. Some people claim that you should check back along your mothers side but this is a bit of a myth, there are no rules about what surname you choose, if you have Scottish ancestry and can find a clan tartan then feel free to wear it. If that route fails then maybe your name is associated with a Scottish District. Not all Scottish names are clan names, particularly around the central belt but there are many district tartans which cover areas of Scotland and the larger cities.

Finally if after all that you still come up with nothing then there are always whats known as ‘universal tartans’ These include the Royal and Hunting Stewart Tartans, Black Watch, Flower of Scotland and many many more.

14 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Let's face it, everyone else looks like a twat in a skirt.

Yeah, you would think. I had to wear Scottish formal wear when I was one of the groomsmen for a Scot at his wedding. The number of women who toot at you as they drive past, or even full on catcall you is truly, truly unbelievable. Honestly, I heard more women shout variations of “What’s under your kilt?” in those few hours than I have heard women flirtatiously shout anything else to strangers in my entire life.

44 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Burberry is the classic Scottish tartan; keep it traditional.

Waye aye. I was wearing Burberry, before it became chavved up.

2 minutes ago, Panther said:

Technically Burberry is a 'housecheck' not a tartan, I believe

It's just a trenchcoat! It makes me look like a detective.

Edited by MrPin

11 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Yeah, you would think. I had to wear Scottish formal wear when I was one of the groomsmen for a Scot at his wedding. The number of women who toot at you as they drive past, or even full on catcall you is truly, truly unbelievable. Honestly, I heard more women shout variations of “What’s under your kilt?” in those few hours than I have heard women flirtatiously shout anything else to strangers in my entire life.

Not convinced. I had a truly horrible pair of shiny gay-looking shorts which I used to wear when hitching when I was in late teens. Got loads of lifts, mainly from older women and the odd gay, so they had the desired effect, but that doesn't mean I didn't look like a complete twat, I have a pic somewhere that proves I did! 

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I have no idea what that means and will assume that auto-correct has created gibberish xD

http://www.scotclans.com/scottish-clans/tartan-pattern-book/what-tartan-can-i-wear/

Panther of Panther man, chief of the clan. I have matriculated at Lyon Court and furthermore am possessed of tailzie in a Scottish barony. What is my tartan?