• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Long time lurking

Keep your hands to yourself in Dubia

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Someone on Radio 4 a couple of days ago was saying that the FO should have a specific warning about false accusations in Dubai resulting in imprisonment, sometimes for quite a while.

Apparently it's quite commonplace as a way of 'getting back' at someone for a perceived slight and, astonishingly, apparently extra 'kudos' points are applied to the accuser if they can get a Westerner banged up, purely for shits and giggles. 

It's a nasty, polished turd of a city. The warnings are there and have been for years. Fuck knows why you'd go there for some R&R.

My mate's son got locked up out there. Young man, they decided to take some kind of legal high with them. Stupid but that's what young boys do.  

There were horror stories about how he wad taken out into to the dessert and threatened with death. At the end of a gun. By the police apparently. Gawd only knows what else happened to him. He was locked up for a good few months whilst they tried to get him home. 

I have often wondered whether the real,issue was that he was Hindu rather than RoP. Whatever, why anyone would go there is beyond me 

44 minutes ago, MrPin said:

When you are abroad, behave like a Gentleman( or lady), and nobody will have any problems, as you you should here. I have spoken.

Try that if a local bumps into your car. It doesn't matter if it is not your fault and you are polite - in Dubai you are in big trouble.

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Try that if a local bumps into your car. It doesn't matter if it is not your fault and you are polite - in Dubai you are in big trouble.

The right answer to that one is to be in the back, and you are not driving.o.O

2 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/22/man-jailed-for-three-months-for-public-indecency-in-a-dubai-bar-7018475/

Man jailed for three months for touching man’s hip in a Dubai bar

Ironic really given that most the local lads will have lost their virginity getting turked by Cousin Ahmed or Uncle Ibrahim in a tent, toilet, or back of a Toyota Landcruiser.

Edited by Kurt Barlow
typo

1 hour ago, OurDayWillCome said:

There was an interesting case where a police car slammed into the side of a female expats car on a roundabout.

She contested it and the Judge decided it was her fault because had she not been on the roundabout the collision would not have happened....

3 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Must have changed because that happened to an old colleague of mine in 2004 and the police were only too apologetic. 

He is half Chinese-half Singaporean (which I would assume would make the problem worse). 

I avoid those airport hubs (abu dabi, dubai) at all costs - Hong kong & Singapore are a better experience and you don't encounter the modern day slavery/shit kickers. Not to mention the stinking, menstruating indonesian women slaves in dubai. Yuck

48 minutes ago, mattydread said:

I avoid those airport hubs (abu dabi, dubai) at all costs - Hong kong & Singapore are a better experience and you don't encounter the modern day slavery/shit kickers. Not to mention the stinking, menstruating indonesian women slaves in dubai. Yuck

The Singaporeans will happily string you up for having drugs in your bag. Fuck them, bunch of backwards savages.

51 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

I live close to Dubai (in Abu Dhabi). As with most places, follow the law, avoid getting into any situation that makes you vulnerable, and you will be fine. 

Exactly.O.o

3 hours ago, Fossildog said:

I live close to Dubai (in Abu Dhabi). As with most places, follow the law, avoid getting into any situation that makes you vulnerable, and you will be fine. 

That's a long way from darlo fossy 

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That you can avoid it doesn't make it ok; permanently having to watch out for "risky" situations, such as easing yourself past a stranger in a crowded bar, for fear of a custodial sentence in a medieval hellhole of a prison is unacceptable.

Even if this didn't apply I wouldn't want to go there, over-developed, over-hot and only of appeal to people who regard shopping as pleasurable rather than functional.

No you don't Frank. Just be polite and don't get yer nob out in the mosque. Being a gentleman always works. I did have an unwanted holiday in KSA once. Lady in front dropped her purse. I don't know what there was in it, but it might have been good. So I tapped her on the shoulder, and now her husband is talking to me. He thanked me profusely, for not being a robber. People are people wherever you go.

24 minutes ago, MrPin said:

No you don't Frank. Just be polite and don't get yer nob out in the mosque. Being a gentleman always works. I did have an unwanted holiday in KSA once. Lady in front dropped her purse. I don't know what there was in it, but it might have been good. So I tapped her on the shoulder, and now her husband is talking to me. He thanked me profusely, for not being a robber. People are people wherever you go.

Can I drag you back to the above story of the bloke who initially got three months in prison for touching someone on the hip?