DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Porsche 944 - immaculate, auction ends 6.30pm tomorrow (Tuesday)

Frank Hovis

It's nothing to do with me but this is a small local auction site which few if any on here will have seen.

This is an unusual lot for it; I have no interest in it but someone may want it and there won't be much bidding competition.

The screen shot has missed off the description as it's in white text so I've copied it in.

PORSCHE 944 TURBO

Current bid: £11,500.00

PORSCHE 944 TURBO, DIRECT FROM THE EXECUTORS, SAME OWNER SINCE 1997, 33 SERVICE STAMPS, ALL ORIGINAL HAND BOOKS, FULL LEATHER INTERIOR, 2 KEYS. BUYERS FEE IS 10% PLUS VAT.

Item condition: Used

Time left:
1d 00:22:21

Auction ends: 21st June 2022 6:30 pm
Timezone: Europe/London

Current bid: £11,500.00

Reserve price has not been met

image.thumb.png.cab835457a1c89e01d6a3cd7f916c9e3.png

https://www.staustellbaymotorauctions.com/car-auctions/porsche-944-turbo/

• Cheers 4

hmmm very tasty, mind you I did nearly buy a 968 clubsport but I found it a major disappointment......and we'd driven all the way to South Wales to buy it....

it's all about weight for me, how much does the 944 turbo weigh?

I see 2.5 nowadays and I just think nah........you can get over 200 brake in a 1.5 3 cylinder Fiesta now :Jumping:

Wight Flight
3 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

Bloody hell, that looks a good 'un.

Bets on final selling price? I really have no idea, but will say £27k.

Fuck. I sold mine for £4k four years back.

it was a bit knackered though.

8 hours ago, King Penda said:

Boxers are nicer looking by far

Boxster bro, boxers tend to be ugly lookin fukkers :P

Edited by nirvana
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, King Penda said:

Boxers are nicer looking by far

And go for a reaonable price. Never had one, but some here have. I don't need an estate car any more, as I am not in the funeral business.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Still £11,500.

Doesn't matter until the reserve price has been met, which may be set at something silly if the seller 'doesn't want to give it away'.

Plenty on autotrader for around that money and if they're not immaculate don't have to worry as much about driving it. xD

5 hours ago, BoSon said:

Doesn't matter until the reserve price has been met, which may be set at something silly if the seller 'doesn't want to give it away'.

Plenty on autotrader for around that money and if they're not immaculate don't have to worry as much about driving it. xD

Ended at:

Winning Bid: £12,000.00

• Informative 4

9 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

Bugger me, that almost sounds reasonable!

It looks a good price.

I flagged it as there are classic car enthusiasts on here and unlike national auction sites this one isn't going to attract a vast number of bids.

It's an unusual lot for the site; if there's anything similar I will post that but I've been following it for a couple of years and this is the only one to stand out.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It looks a good price.

I flagged it as there are classic car enthusiasts on here and unlike national auction sites this one isn't going to attract a vast number of bids.

It's an unusual lot for the site; if there's anything similar I will post that but I've been following it for a couple of years and this is the only one to stand out.

Most put their classics through wider attracting sellers so whoever put this through there was 'leaving money on the table' perhaps.

I wonder what We Buy Any Car offered. xD

that thing weighs about 1400kg so in reality it as a LARDY PIECE OF SHITE....

and good luck if the turbo bearings, other bearings and stuff need replacing...

so therefore not for me......good luck y'all :D

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, A_P said:

All i envisage with a car like that is having to take it to Manthey-Racing for an overhaul. I can't imagine the drive is all that great, so it sits in the garage for all but four times a year. Crap colour too.

No idea what it drives like, but a used "luxury" car that has been neglected will be more expensive to put right, than a cheapo runabout.

Without paperwork and thorough inspection, expect it to be neglected, and pitch accordingly.

5 hours ago, nirvana said:

that thing weighs about 1400kg so in reality it as a LARDY PIECE OF SHITE....

and good luck if the turbo bearings, other bearings and stuff need replacing...

so therefore not for me......good luck y'all :D

The non-Turbo version weighed in at less than 1200 kg and no luck needed for replacement parts as almost everything easy to come by!

4 hours ago, A_P said:

All i envisage with a car like that is having to take it to Manthey-Racing for an overhaul. I can't imagine the drive is all that great, so it sits in the garage for all but four times a year. Crap colour too.

You're both being too harsh :)

@Wight Flight owned a 944 for longer than me I think so he might have a different view but mine (non-Turbo) was great fun to drive. It was never a supercar to begin with but even at 20+ years old it had decent acceleration and top speed, excellent brakes and very good, predictable handling.

Servicing was straightforward (apart from needing to remove the nose to change the air filter) and inexpensive, particularly if you researched some of the harder to find parts e.g. my sunroof motor failed and a non-franchise dealer wanted £400 for a replacement. Checked the part number and found the official Porsche price was £600+, the same item from Lamborghini was over £1k but just £47 by opting for an LDV wiper motor! 

Edited by Duck
typo
  • Informative 3
  • Lol 1

26 minutes ago, Duck said:

The non-Turbo version weighed in at less than 1200 kg and no luck needed for replacement parts as almost everything easy to come by!

@Wight Flight owned a 944 for longer than me I think so he might have a different view but mine (non-Turbo) was great fun to drive. It was never a supercar to begin with but even at 20+ years old it had decent acceleration and top speed, excellent brakes and very good, predictable handling.

Servicing was straightforward (apart from needing to remove the nose to change the air filter) and inexpensive, particularly if you researched some of the harder to find parts e.g. my sunroof motor failed and a non-franchise dealer wanted £400 for a replacement. Checked the part number and found the official Porsche price was £600+, the same item from Lamborghini was over £1k but just £47 by opting for an LDV wiper motor! 

Yep. Had mine as a daily use car from 1993 - 2016.

Convertible non-turbo. Really great fun to drive, and very cheap to run. Not much room for any rear passengers over 5 years old but pretty decent boot space.

All in a very practical car.

• Informative 1

43 minutes ago, Duck said:

@Wight Flight owned a 944 for longer than me I think so he might have a different view but mine (non-Turbo) was great fun to drive. It was never a supercar to begin with but even at 20+ years old it had decent acceleration and top speed, excellent breaks and very good, predictable handling.

perhaps as a previous owner, you may have taken too much offense. I'm not saying for the generation, it is a bad car. For me it is not a buy. If you had fun, then that is really all that matters!!

35 minutes ago, A_P said:

perhaps as a previous owner, you may have taken too much offense. I'm not saying for the generation, it is a bad car. For me it is not a buy. If you had fun, then that is really all that matters!!

Oh certainly no offence taken and I wouldn't buy another simply because with the youngest being 30 years old you need to be an enthusiast to own and maintain one.

Rather, just adding to the oft-repeated view that modern cars are too complex, overly-reliant on computer management and diagnosis etc.

There are any number of post-2000 cars that are roomier, more economical, faster etc than an 80's/90's 944 but a lot to be said for a simple, well sorted and engineered older car that can easily be maintained by a DIY owner or cheap to have serviced at a garage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2