DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wiring Query

JohnThePessimist

JohnThePessimist

We have a pair of outside lights on our patio that have never worked since we bought the place. The light fittings were damaged so I bought some replacements. I swapped out the first light and wired in the new unit no bother. However the second light (near the indoor switch), had double the number of wires that I expected! (2 of each colour). I wired in the second light and the only way to get the lights to work was if I wired in both live wires, and both negative wires. Unfortunately this meant that the lights were on all the time ( switch didn’t switch on or off). In my spare time over the last couple of days, I have worked through the various combinations of wiring, and only the permutation that has the lights on all the time works. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

1 minute ago, JohnThePessimist said:

We have a pair of outside lights on our patio that have never worked since we bought the place. The light fittings were damaged so I bought some replacements. I swapped out the first light and wired in the new unit no bother. However the second light (near the indoor switch), had double the number of wires that I expected! (2 of each colour). I wired in the second light and the only way to get the lights to work was if I wired in both live wires, and both negative wires. Unfortunately this meant that the lights were on all the time ( switch didn’t switch on or off). In my spare time over the last couple of days, I have worked through the various combinations of wiring, and only the permutation that has the lights on all the time works. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Stick your tongue on the wires to check you are correct regarding which are live. :)

• Agree 1

JohnThePessimist
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Stick your tongue on the wires to check you are correct regarding which are live. :)

I liked you more when you were simply rep farming….

• Lol 1

The standard way to wire lights is to take power to the fitting and then wire back to a switch (rather than taking power to the switch first), I say "standard" because i've never seen this with outdoor lights, but sounds like the switch or its wiring is faulty and to get it working you've ended up bypassing that circuit.

1 hour ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Something to do with wiring a 'switched live'?

I'd open the switch too and draw a complete diagram working out what colour goes where (you might find a blue wire with a brown sleeve, this is a switched live not a neutral, used where ordinary brown/blue/earth cable has been used instead of a short run of brown/brown/earth cable from the switch)

Edited by Panther
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Panther said:

Something to do with wiring a 'switched live'?

I'd open the switch too and draw a complete diagram working out what colour goes where (you might find a blue wire with a brown sleeve, this is a switched live, not a neutral)

is that like a spur?

Sounded correct the first time which assume they just daisy chained 1 set of wires to the new bulb and created a paralllel circuit but used the first bulb as a bypass? so if 1 blew the other would still work?

Dunno, i got extremely confused once at a mates wiring until i realised that it was a spur of one light to another and the colours had all reversed on the 2nd bulb, was kinda crap but saved wire lengths i suppose.

1 hour ago, Panther said:

No, something else.

yeah was years ago, i was just trying to remember what it was and why it was done like it was, i cant really remember to be honest, maybe it was something like this, but that looks a lot simpler from what i remember, anyways.

These are only schematic diagrams to explain about the different kinds of arrangements that you may find when changing a light fitting. The earth wires have been omitted for clarity and would need to be connected at all switches and ceiling roses. The wires would also be covered by the protective outer sheath (cable).

image.png.32274c7fd90ebc02aa5a8b595bbfdc6b.png

This is a diagram of a ceiling rose using the old colours where Live is red and Neutral is black.

The earth wires have been omitted for clarity, but must be connected!

Hopefully this will make it clearer as to what the wires at the ceiling rose are for. You can see that there is a Live and a neutral that has come from either the consumer unit or from another light fitting. Then a live and neutral that goes to the next light fitting, which will probably be in the next room. Then a wire goes from the live terminal and to the switch, A wire then goes from the switch to the switched live terminal on the ceiling rose. The switched live wire may be completely red, have a piece of red sleeving over it or may be wrapped with red tape, or non of the above. If it is not identified then it should be wrapped with red insulation tape. The Lamp is wired so that the neutral black wire is connected to the neutral terminal and the live red wire is connected to the switched live terminal.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-to/light-fitting/light-wiring-diagrams

Edited by leonardratso
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I would say, "get a sparky in you tight cunt".

Lighting wiring is like spagetti bolonase,if you didnt make it , you dont have a fucking clue whats going on you DIY twat.

I'm betting that @onlyme will know this one then...

• Cheers 1