• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The future is not bright(house)

More support for those incapable of working things out for themselves 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41732865

From the article 

Sasha Rhodes of Sheffield bought a king-size bed from BrightHouse on a two-year contract.

"I don't think they ran enough checks to ensure I was able to make the payments - all they were interested in was my money," she says. 

"I did not realise how high interest payments were. I stopped payments after 16 months. I think I paid them around £800 in total for what must have been a £400 bed."

Ffs love, if you can't work out your own finances and whether you can afford something, you need a full time carer to accompany you to the shops. 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

My bed cost £80 from a house clearance shop.

Quite and there is a shop round the corner from me that sells reconditioned washing machines and fridges. 

The alternative, if you want new is that you put money aside for a rainy day. 

Just now, One percent said:

Quite and there is a shop round the corner from me that sells reconditioned washing machines and fridges. 

The alternative, if you want new is that you put money aside for a rainy day. 

I did buy a new washing machine, just to piss off XYY. It's an LG and can take 11 kG, and plays a tune at the end of the cycle

Just now, MrPin said:

I did buy a new washing machine, just to piss off XYY. It's an LG and can take 11 kG, and plays a tune at the end of the cycle

I bought a Miele just to piss off carl. It also plays a tune at the end of the cycle. :)

live also got a Miele fridge freezer but don't tell Carl. 

Just now, swissy_fit said:

11kg! You live on your own, don't you?

Or do you have a cellar, Mr Fritzl? O.o

It can do a whole duvet.Otherwise a year's underpants wouldn't fill it. That would be twelve BTW.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I bought a Miele just to piss off carl. It also plays a tune at the end of the cycle. :)

Domestic appliance snobbery?:CryBaby:

Bought cast iron and brass bed when moved in with mrs only,  £100 and spent £50 for lacquer to be removed (well worth it because bugger to remove properly). Will last a lifetime and probably a few more and looks great.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Is it  a direct drive one, they are superb. Very well engineered and a good layout inside, very easy to strip down and do DIY if ever necessary

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Is it  a direct drive one, they are superb. Very well engineered and a good layout inside, very easy to strip down and do DIY if ever necessary

Yes it is one of the direct drive ones. I'm afraid I was more excited by the technology, than any thoughts of cleanliness.O.o

Brighthouse is a shop without a function.

I have never seen any customers in our nearest one.  Not 'customers at the till', but customers anywhere inside the shop.  

It appears so empty that I am convinced it is a tax dodge, or used for money laundering or something.

Whenever I hear of people complaining about it, I assume they've just mistakenly thought it was a shop and bought something, you know, like people who buy the stuff on ebay that's up for 5-10x the normal price (which I assume are also to do with money laundering), and then moan about it.

But it appears that some people do deliberately buy stuff at this place, even where the massive costs are obvious.  I walked past it today with my  son, and even he laughed at the prices and exclaimed 'if you didn't have much money you could just get one on ebay!'    He's 11.  I shudder to think quite how dim their actual customers must be.

But, nevertheless, those of reduced brainpower should be protected from their own stupidity.  Frankly, the law should be that if a shop/deal is completely bonkers, then it shouldn't stand.  Then, at least, these exploitative shops would just disappear.

Edited by dgul

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

But it appears that some people do deliberately buy stuff at this place, even where the massive costs are obvious.  I walked past it today with my  son, and even he laughed at the prices and exclaimed 'if you didn't have much money you could just get one on ebay!'    He's 11.  I shudder to think quite how dim their actual customers must be.

Its because its all pitched as weekly payments, it allows poor people to temporarily rent something they could never actually afford. The vast majority of bright house victims/customers never run to term and actually own the thing, the goods are just repo'd cleaned up and then on to the next punter for a few weeks/months. 

3 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Its because its all pitched as weekly payments, it allows poor people to temporarily rent something they could never actually afford. The vast majority of bright house victims/customers never run to term and actually own the thing, the goods are just repo'd cleaned up and then on to the next punter for a few weeks/months. 

But you missed an important bit:

temporarily rent something they didn't need and could never actually afford.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm surprised I bought a posh washing machine. Previously I used to get secondhand ones for £25, and when they burst, I got another one.

I expect your motor has a 10 year warranty, which is remarkable thing until you realise there is feck all to go wrong.

I had to delve into mine last week because it ate a sock (second time in 6 years), took the lid off, motor off, drum out and split it, put it all back together all OK. Set it going a couple of days later and all hell broke loose when it started to spin. Took the lid off and reclaimed my 12v inspection torch from between the drum and the casing

500-500---4160092.jpg

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

I expect your motor has a 10 year warranty, which is remarkable thing until you realise there is feck all to go wrong.

I had to delve into mine last week because it ate a sock (second time in 6 years), took the lid off, motor off, drum out and split it, put it all back together all OK. Set it going a couple of days later and all hell broke loose when it started to spin. Took the lid off and reclaimed my 12v inspection torch from between the drum and the casing

500-500---4160092.jpg

Ha ha, it's a good job you are not a surgeon. You might leave some medical tools inside somebody.:CryBaby:

I have not had to dismantle the washing machine yet. But I own no socks. I think I have had it about 4 years, and it looks like it was built to last. God bless Korea, except the other bit.

54 minutes ago, One percent said:

This should be on the extra secret 33rd Degree secret Masonic forum.O.o

53 minutes ago, dgul said:

Brighthouse is a shop without a function.

I have never seen any customers in our nearest one.  Not 'customers at the till', but customers anywhere inside the shop.  

It appears so empty that I am convinced it is a tax dodge, or used for money laundering or something.

Whenever I hear of people complaining about it, I assume they've just mistakenly thought it was a shop and bought something, you know, like people who buy the stuff on ebay that's up for 5-10x the normal price (which I assume are also to do with money laundering), and then moan about it.

But, nevertheless, those of reduced brainpower should be protected from their own stupidity.  Frankly, the law should be that if a shop/deal is completely bonkers, then it shouldn't stand.  Then, at least, these exploitative shops would just disappear.

A chap I used to work with, works for them.  All they need is two or three customers each per day...

56 minutes ago, One percent said:

More support for those incapable of working things out for themselves 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41732865

From the article 

Sasha Rhodes of Sheffield bought a king-size bed from BrightHouse on a two-year contract.

"I don't think they ran enough checks to ensure I was able to make the payments - all they were interested in was my money," she says. 

"I did not realise how high interest payments were. I stopped payments after 16 months. I think I paid them around £800 in total for what must have been a £400 bed."

Ffs love, if you can't work out your own finances and whether you can afford something, you need a full time carer to accompany you to the shops. 

Forgive me if I am reading your post incorrectly - but you seem to be pouring scorn on the gormless rather than the sharks who take advantage of their stupidity. That is something I can never accept.

Some people - and there are plenty in my own family - really do not comprehend the controlling of their finances, and living within their means in any way whatsoever.

You can try and explain it to them until you are blue in the bastard face (been there) but they just do not get it. You do, and I do - but, some of these dumb fuckers really and truthfully don't..!

In my opinion, Brighthouse - and their equally nasty rivals Perfect Home - are evil bastards who prey on such people.

I cannot accept that any intelligent person can blame the stupid and gullible for being taken-in by the smart and ruthless. Not logical Captain.

Clever people - by definition - should know to behave better than that.

Because everyone in our society loses in the long-run when they don't...

XYY

Cripes, when I have been rotten skint, I know I am skint, and the £25 washing machine I got many years ago lasted longer than I ever thought. It did the job, and was paid for in one go.

3 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Last headboard i bought was solid pine. 99p ebay.

Furniture on ebay is a doozy if you have time, space, and will.

And a van.