DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

jazzy potatoes and all that ..

humdrum

humdrum

jazz.

Sorry, the best I could do.

Anyway, looks like I screwed up.

I planted them in 30 litre tubs, 4 to a tub and filled the tubs with compost that the allotment shop swore by. They are probably right, but the haulms have turned yellow and when I emptied a couple of tubs the soil was dry and the total yield was only 3lb 12oz, or 1.6 kilos.

I like the idea of growing in tubs, especially 30 litres ones which even decrepit old farts like me can pick up and move around without too much trouble. And I have heard a lot of good stuff about Jazzy potatoes. And as the tubs are emptied I am planting leeks, onions and pumpkins in them, so all is not lost.

Still, I would have liked a few more murphies. Next year I will pay more attention to the watering and maybe surround the tubs with a couple of inches of wood chip to reduce moisture loss.

humdrum
27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They need massive amounts of water to grow the tubers. 

Reuse the compost for lettuce etc

All part of the plan, although I am not that keen on this new fangled, peat free, made from organic vegans compost. Still, as long as it gives the plants something to set root in I am easy. And I can always top up with tomato fertiliser, which solves most problems. :)

• Agree 2

the gardener
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

They need massive amounts of water to grow the tubers. 

Reuse the compost for lettuce etc

You really can't over-water them.

Did the OP mulch them? Did he mulch around the base of the tubs?

What about feeding them? After about 6 weeks they'll need a regular feast of tomato fertilizer.

humdrum
14 minutes ago, the gardener said:

You really can't over-water them.

Did the OP mulch them? Did he mulch around the base of the tubs?

What about feeding them? After about 6 weeks they'll need a regular feast of tomato fertilizer.

That was the problem.

I put on a 4 inch mulch of grass but forgot that planting in a tub is not the same as doing so in the ground. Tubs really need industrial quantities of water, something I will remember for next year.

That said, the maincrop (Desiree) are doing fine and I suspect that may be because they were planted in grass, which retains the water better than compost.

All in all, it looks to be an interesting and informative season :)

sarahbell
7 hours ago, humdrum said:

That was the problem.

I put on a 4 inch mulch of grass but forgot that planting in a tub is not the same as doing so in the ground. Tubs really need industrial quantities of water, something I will remember for next year.

That said, the maincrop (Desiree) are doing fine and I suspect that may be because they were planted in grass, which retains the water better than compost.

All in all, it looks to be an interesting and informative season :)

Someone's done a lot in tubs. I've seen how much he's watering. He's going to get very little crop. 

You need to keep the compost damp. Once it dries it needs to be re-wet before you soak it. Else it all just filters through.

humdrum
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Someone's done a lot in tubs. I've seen how much he's watering. He's going to get very little crop. 

You need to keep the compost damp. Once it dries it needs to be re-wet before you soak it. Else it all just filters through.

We shall see.

As said, the maincrop seem ok and the plan is to give everything a good soak once a week. Failing that, there is always Sainbury's.:)

Each tub is about 35cm in diameter, so 2 tubs mean 1.6 kg ever 70cm or about 2.3kg per metre. Which is not bad for first earlies. And it is a sight easier topping the tubs with grass clippings than digging trenches and earthing up and all the rest.

So I am glumly content :)

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
19 hours ago, humdrum said:

All part of the plan, although I am not that keen on this new fangled, peat free, made from organic vegans compost. Still, as long as it gives the plants something to set root in I am easy. And I can always top up with tomato fertiliser, which solves most problems. :)

I haven't looked this up but someone told me next year is the last for peat based compost.

• Informative 1

One percent
22 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I haven't looked this up but someone told me next year is the last for peat based compost.

Someone posted it on the gardening thread I think.  Stuff I’ve been buying this year has been atrocious. Jack’s magic was really good and peat based but suddenly, a couple of months ago, it was “new formula “. Dreadful. Oh and now peat free. 

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Someone posted it on the gardening thread I think.  Stuff I’ve been buying this year has been atrocious. Jack’s magic was really good and peat based but suddenly, a couple of months ago, it was “new formula “. Dreadful. Oh and now peat free. 

That new coir based stuff cost me a lot of time resowing stuff. It is a joke.

• Informative 1

One percent
1 minute ago, The Grey Man said:

That new coir based stuff cost me a lot of time resowing stuff. It is a joke.

I think we need a dedicated thread on decent compost. It seems to be as rare as rocking horse poo. 

• Agree 4

humdrum
1 hour ago, One percent said:

I think we need a dedicated thread on decent compost. It seems to be as rare as rocking horse poo. 

I rely on homemade. I am not sure how good it is, but it has to be better than the stuff I have been buying. Plus, one of the advantages of being a diabetic is that I can produce a good 2 or 3 litres of what Lawrence D Hills politely called Household Liquid Activator. And it seems a shame to piddle it down the drain ( pun intended) so to speak.:)

• Informative 1

humdrum
12 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

Funnily enough, last year was about the only time I did not put a few bags of leaves onto my compost heap.

Time to fight back against the forces of do goodydom :)

One percent
10 hours ago, humdrum said:

I rely on homemade. I am not sure how good it is, but it has to be better than the stuff I have been buying. Plus, one of the advantages of being a diabetic is that I can produce a good 2 or 3 litres of what Lawrence D Hills politely called Household Liquid Activator. And it seems a shame to piddle it down the drain ( pun intended) so to speak.:)

How do you make it?  Just stuff from your compost bin?  

humdrum
1 hour ago, One percent said:

How do you make it?  Just stuff from your compost bin?  

I just chuck everything onto my compost heap and add the piddle. The ideal is to mix 1 part piddle to 30 parts water, but I just throw on the urine and then turn on the garden hose. Actually, lately I have started turning the sprinkler on and leaving that to soak the compost heap.

I have noticed that the less work I do in the garden, the better the results :)

• Informative 2

The Grey Man

I guess this is about 2.5kg in weight. It is a brimming collanders worth of Kestrel, 2nd early. Three plants worth. No slug damage! Given the soil type I expected attacks but it has been a dry several weeks.

Grown on heavy clay. Dry as a bone now. Planted mid March and earthed up three times to avoid frost and also greening later on.

A touch of common scab on some. I doubt the area had been limed recently as the owner had built the brassica cage I have posted recently.

The cause soil is starved of organic material and the spud rows are one of the few places left I have to add rotten manure. The dry late spring aided to. I am adding as I pull the spuds. I suspect I will have a second cover by next spring.

In the mean time the space will be filled by the ever growing pumpkins.

20220627_212249.thumb.jpg.a97546972f195a405887b38424d2c438.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 4

Van Lady
6 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I guess this is about 2.5kg in weight. It is a brimming collanders worth of Kestrel, 2nd early. Three plants worth. No slug damage! Given the soil type I expected attacks but it has been a dry several weeks.

Grown on heavy clay. Dry as a bone now. Planted mid March and earthed up three times to avoid frost and also greening later on.

A touch of common scab on some. I doubt the area had been limed recently as the owner had built the brassica cage I have posted recently.

The cause soil is starved of organic material and the spud rows are one of the few places left I have to add rotten manure. The dry late spring aided to. I am adding as I pull the spuds. I suspect I will have a second cover by next spring.

In the mean time the space will be filled by the ever growing pumpkins.

20220627_212249.thumb.jpg.a97546972f195a405887b38424d2c438.jpg

Beautiful! Bet you and family enjoyed the succulent taste of freshly harvested and cooked tatties. Sublime!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1