• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

YORKSHIRE

Me! Me! Norfolk born and bred.

I haven't even been as further north of Nottinghamshire/Cheshire would you believe!

One of my work colleagues moved from West Yorkshire though...that's the only connection.

Edited by UmBongo

Interestingly, proper nouns like God, and Wednesday, deserve a capital letter in English. YORKSHIRE is the only word I can think of that requires all capitals, which light up, and shouts at you.:CryBaby:

5 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I am not tainted/blessed by any association with Yorkshire. I went to York for a holiday when I was wee though, and Mother Shipton's Cave.

Sadly a lesser mortal Carl. At least you have set foot in God's own.  

I take it from your other post that you are rather taken with my new avatar. :)

I lived in York for three wonderful years and have nothing but the utmost love and respect for the inhabitants of that proud land, and their culture.

*waits for reps to flood in*

I have been rather disappointed by Yorkshire beer over the years; I think it's down to the water as, for example, I have yet to like a beer from from Kent.

Yorkshire has a number of breweries including Black Sheep, Copper Dragon, Cropton Brewery, John Smith's, Sam Smith's, Kelham Island Brewery, Theakstons, Timothy Taylor, Wharfedale Brewery and Leeds Brewery.

Of those I've tried Black Sheep is great, Theakstons is ok, but I've found all of John Smith's, Sam Smith's and Timothy Taylor to be consistently harsh and difficult to drink.

2 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I lived in York for three wonderful years and have nothing but the utmost love and respect for the inhabitants of that proud land, and their culture.

*waits for reps to flood in*

Bloody white settlers. Bugger orf. B|:)

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have been rather disappointed by Yorkshire beer over the years; I think it's down to the water as, for example, I have yet to like a beer from from Kent.

Yorkshire has a number of breweries including Black Sheep, Copper Dragon, Cropton Brewery, John Smith's, Sam Smith's, Kelham Island Brewery, Theakstons, Timothy Taylor, Wharfedale Brewery and Leeds Brewery.

Of those I've tried Black Sheep is great, Theakstons is ok, but I've found all of John Smith's, Sam Smith's and Timothy Taylor to be consistently harsh and difficult to drink.

Impressive knowledge there Frank. :)

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Surprised you think that. Sam Smith's bottled range is almost entirely top shelf stuff, I've always thought. And I like Timothy Taylor's Landlord a lot too. Have never found them to be harsh. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bloody white settlers. Bugger orf. B|:)

Ahahahaha! There's always one bad apple that can spoil the barrel ;)

My only connection to Yorkshire is the odd repeat of Heartbeat!

45 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Kent beers are nearly all Shepherd Neame and they're a bit shit, quite frankly. Harveys is from E Sussex, not too far from Kent, and is my favourite!

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

My only connection to Yorkshire is the odd repeat of Heartbeat!

Kent beers are nearly all Shepherd Neame and they're a bit shit, quite frankly. Harveys is from E Sussex, not too far from Kent, and is my favourite!

I would say harsh rather than shit, something about the water's chemical make up; I find they're similar to London-based Youngs as I also have trouble drinking their beer yet love those of their similar rival Fullers.

Cornwall these days is well served by Sharp's and St Austell breweries (all decent beers with my favourite by a mile being the rarely found Sharp's Special) but the local beers were generally terrible (Duchy Ale and Tinners' Bitter live long in my memory) until the late 80s when Newquay Steam Beer* showed that you could make a decent beer in Cornwall.

* Actually made in Redruth, taken over by Whitbread who first brewed it out of county then killed it off in '96.

newquay_steam.jpg?resize=1038,576&ssl=1

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would say harsh rather than shit, something about the water's chemical make up; I find they're similar to London-based Youngs as I also have trouble drinking their beer yet love those of their similar rival Fullers.

Cornwall these days is well served by Sharp's and St Austell breweries (all decent beers with my favourite by a mile being the rarely found Sharp's Special) but the local beers were generally terrible (Duchy Ale and Tinners' Bitter live long in my memory) until the late 80s when Newquay Steam Beer* showed that you could make a decent beer in Cornwall.

* Actually made in Redruth, taken over by Whitbread who first brewed it out of county then killed it off in '96.

newquay_steam.jpg?resize=1038,576&ssl=1

Comparing Yorkshire to London water  o.O

The water in London has apparently been through at least six other people's kidneys  :Sick1:

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Comparing Yorkshire to London water  o.O

The water in London has apparently been through at least six other people's kidneys  :Sick1:

So it's well filtered!  It isn't necessarily from the Thames; it could be aquifers.  I don't know and having had a quick gander at Young's website I'm none the wiser although it used to be drawn from a well. 

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Is there ANYONE on this forum, that is not from bloody YORKSHIRE ?

Think a lot pretend to be far away in a distant land to throw RAF Fylingdales off their tracks whereas in reality they are sat in a corner window of The Angel in Islington reading a copy of The Guardian from last week. Proxy servers and all that.

I know it seems there are a lot of posters from Yorkshire but in truth I think it's just One percent.