• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Aspergers and Me

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If only it was someone else I would watch them; I seriously loathe this twat.

Sorrry Jackie :(

(I do know someone with Aspergers btw)

Ah you're grand, no worries :)

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Video blocked; shame as I'd have been interested to see it. I saw the trailer and I thought 'he seems normal to me', without really knowing what aspergers is.

OK I think it's on iplayer which is blocked where I am.

It was on BBC2 on October 17th apparently.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Video blocked; shame as I'd have been interested to see it. I saw the trailer and I thought 'he seems normal to me', without really knowing what aspergers is.

It's a made up condition that's become a syndrome, so people can worry about it. It's a lot better than Tourette's, you fucking cunt. Wibble!

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's a made up condition that's become a syndrome, so people can worry about it. It's a lot better than Tourette's, you fucking cunt. Wibble!

Totally not true.

I did watch it and couldn't decide if he was genuinely Aspergers or just massively selfish.

Evidence seemed a bit scant mainly his encyclopedic wildlife knowledge.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Franlky, I think half of DOSBODs would probably be so described.o.O

That's probably correct but doesn't mean it's made up.

I am not very Aspergers-ish now, but I reckon my intellect and attention span is reduced as well, so am not convinced it is a handicap of any sort until it reaches extreme levels.

4 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

That's probably correct but doesn't mean it's made up.

I am not very Aspergers-ish now, but I reckon my intellect and attention span is reduced as well, so am not convinced it is a handicap of any sort until it reaches extreme levels.

Probably mentioned it before, but a friend's son was "diagnosed" with Asperger's. All I noticed, was he was another left hander, like me and his dad, and his wife says "fuck me, not another one". He was a really polite kid, like no trouble at all, and he's off to study maths too.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Probably mentioned it before, but a friend's son was "diagnosed" with Asperger's. All I noticed, was he was another left hander, like me and his dad, and his wife says "fuck me, not another one". He was a really polite kid, like no trouble at all, and he's off to study maths too.

Yeah well that's my point, really. There's probably a wide range going from totally non-Aspergers-ish people right up to the full on Rainman and worse-off types. My feeling is that only these last types should actually be classified as Aspergers, otherwise we are making people who have other advantages that often come with their "condition" believe that they are victims when they are not.

8 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Yeah well that's my point, really. There's probably a wide range going from totally non-Aspergers-ish people right up to the full on Rainman and worse-off types. My feeling is that only these last types should actually be classified as Aspergers, otherwise we are making people who have other advantages that often come with their "condition" believe that they are victims when they are not.

Agreed. My house at uni was like living in Big Bang Theory. It's what you get from living in a house of Astrophysicists. We were all a bit "unconventional" but only one of us would I describe as having Aspergers (due to his mannerisms and multiple ideosyncracies).

An Israeli guy I studied with more recently made the first guy look like king of the jocks by comparison. Both of them lived in their own little world but the first guy was at least from our galaxy. 

N.B. This is not anti-semitism. He was a lovely guy who I am still in contact with. 

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

That sounds very un-Pin like. Has your account been hacked by XYY? 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If only it was someone else I would watch them; I seriously loathe this twat.

Sorrry Jackie :(

(I do know someone with Aspergers btw)

I'm of the same view. He seems to be obnoxious which isn't part of his condition. 

Don't agree with Pin that it's made up,  but a lot of undiagnosed people suddenly seem to have it just because they're a bit socially awkward. 

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm of the same view. He seems to be obnoxious which isn't part of his condition. 

Don't agree with Pin that it's made up,  but a lot of undiagnosed people suddenly seem to have it just because they're a bit socially awkward. 

I think it's almost become a bit trendy like OCD for people who do a lot of cleaning. Both similar to people who say they have the flu, when really they have mild flu like symptoms which are basically a cold. OCD is like Howard Hughes not some woman who happens to spend an hour every morning cleaning the bathroom.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I seriously loathe this twat.

I respect your opinion but why is a twat?

I'm of the same view. He seems to be obnoxious

Again why is he obnoxious?

11 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Socially awkward people should mix with other ones. That way I never get to see them.

5 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I respect your opinion but why is a twat?

Again why is he obnoxious?

I was ambivalent about him until I hear his autobiography / memoirs on the radio where you could forget false modesty and even actual modesty. Up his own arse totally "I'm right" opinionated. Every one who doesn't entirely agree with me is a total twat (remind you of a certain poster on here?).

Vicious vitriolic snarling individual who puts on the smiling "Hello, I'm Chris" fake persona for the camera.

He's had several nasty Twitter spats which surprises me not one jot.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was ambivalent about him until I hear his autobiography / memoirs on the radio where you could forget false modesty and even actual modesty. Up his own arse totally "I'm right" opinionated. Every one who doesn't entirely agree with me is a total twat (remind you of a certain poster on here?).

Vicious vitriolic snarling individual who puts on the smiling "Hello, I'm Chris" fake persona for the camera.

Doesn't always manage it for the cameras - kind of agree with him here

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm listening, and now I'm embarassed.

This was brilliant, unfortunately in French but absolutely fascinating but we are talking about autism here. We have a severe autistic kid across the street, the "flapping" is interesting to watch. We've  a few Hugos at work, very good at IT because they can focus for long periods on problems; although when I'm "in the flow" I can go 18 hours straight on something. Increasingly rare that I have the stamina these days.

As someone said to Hugo "if you stay absolutely still no one knows you have a problem but the slightest movement it is clear" - funny how sensitive we are to signs of abnormality.

Edited by davidg

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Doesn't always manage it for the cameras - kind of agree with him here

I agree with plenty of his views; in particular the one that the WWF and similar should stop pissing about with projects and spend their income buying and protecting huge tracts of pristine land as perpetual nature reserves.

Yet I know that if I disagreed with whom on that even slightly he'd launch into me.

For Mr Pin I meant the late and unlamented Suzy Q.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm listening, and now I'm embarassed.