DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Haven't been to my allotment in three days

humdrum

humdrum

I am pottering in my boy's house and trying to stop it falling into the street. Good fun I and glad to be of help, but at this rate I won't see the allotment until Saturday.

As said, I don't like to make a fuss, but I will have been away for 5 days and how do I know it won't run away?

• Lol 1

40 minutes ago, humdrum said:

I am pottering in my boy's house and trying to stop it falling into the street. Good fun I and glad to be of help, but at this rate I won't see the allotment until Saturday.

As said, I don't like to make a fuss, but I will have been away for 5 days and how do I know it won't run away?

It won’t be able to run away for all the bind weed growth if mine is anything to go on.

Edited by Xtal
  • Agree 2
  • Lol 3

The Grey Man
41 minutes ago, humdrum said:

The weeds will be mourning the loss!

• Lol 1

sarahbell

I've picked at least a pound of mixed fruit every day for about ten days and need to pick some blackcurrants and make some jam soon.

One bloke has picked something insane like 20kg of strawberries. They looked amazing.im having some runners and will have to squeeze a strawberry bed in 

• Agree 1

humdrum
8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I've picked at least a pound of mixed fruit every day for about ten days and need to pick some blackcurrants and make some jam soon.

One bloke has picked something insane like 20kg of strawberries. They looked amazing.im having some runners and will have to squeeze a strawberry bed in 

We really need a green with envy icon.

The only time I get a decent crop of strawberries is when I harvest them from the fresh fruit isle in Sainsbury's.

Any tips?

• Informative 1

sarahbell
10 hours ago, humdrum said:

The only time I get a decent crop of strawberries is when I harvest them from the fresh fruit isle in Sainsbury's.

Any tips?

The guy whose been very successful starts with a well prepared bed. Weed fabric I think planted through and covered from the birds.

New plants always helps. I've got three strawberry plants dotted about and lots of mini ones which I let go where they want along edges.my plot is not neat. 

The raspberries look after themselves.

• Cheers 1

humdrum
4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

The guy whose been very successful starts with a well prepared bed. Weed fabric I think planted through and covered from the birds.

New plants always helps. I've got three strawberry plants dotted about and lots of mini ones which I let go where they want along edges.my plot is not neat. 

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Just had a word with one of the Allotment Committee. She said that we had no chance of winning any sort of awards for best kept allotments when my plot was in such a state. I advised that my allotment kept me and mine fed for a good few months of the year and that was all I gave a toss about. I then said that I was interested in fruit and veg yields, not a  Good House Keeping award. 

As said before, she is a good lass, but only has the job because no one else wants it.

:)

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

sarahbell
38 minutes ago, humdrum said:

Just had a word with one of the Allotment Committee. She said that we had no chance of winning any sort of awards for best kept allotments when my plot was in such a state. I advised that my allotment kept me and mine fed for a good few months of the year and that was all I gave a toss about. I then said that I was interested in fruit and veg yields, not a  Good House Keeping award. 

As said before, she is a good lass, but only has the job because no one else wants it.

:)

Yeah production not neatness. Sometimes the latter helps the former 

• Agree 2

Bornagain
17 hours ago, sarahbell said:

We picked 5.5 Kg of strawberries from the garden nearly a fortnight ago.

It made a lot of jam.

And its lovely.

On a winters morning Jam on Toast is like eating bottled sunshine.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The Grey Man
On 30/06/2022 at 23:50, humdrum said:

Any tips?

I built a frame once. 

Used wire to hang the baskets off.

Results.

No slugs and I could net from the birds. A huge watering chore. A biggie. Needed bigger pots.

Large pots perhaps?  On the ground.

I have some open plants but they will be relocated in the autumn.

The big farmers have it. They can do it large scale.

I can use the space in a more economically viable way.

That said, whatever variety I have, my daughter fetched me a few this week. They are good. Still

Have to measure up costs and benefits. The way of life.

• Informative 1

humdrum
5 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I built a frame once. 

Used wire to hang the baskets off.

Results.

No slugs and I could net from the birds. A huge watering chore. A biggie. Needed bigger pots.

Large pots perhaps?  On the ground.

I have some open plants but they will be relocated in the autumn.

The big farmers have it. They can do it large scale.

I can use the space in a more economically viable way.

That said, whatever variety I have, my daughter fetched me a few this week. They are good. Still

Have to measure up costs and benefits. The way of life.

Some good ideas

Thanks

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
Just now, humdrum said:

Some good ideas

Thanks

I hope the committee get of your back.

If the plot produces. End of.

Yes I have been on the committee. 

• Lol 1

sarahbell
2 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I hope the committee get of your back.

If the plot produces. End of.

Yes I have been on the committee. 

Plots shouldn't cause a nuisance to anyone else.

Weeds that seed and spread are a no no.

Annual weeds are more acceptable than perennial weeds.  One indicates you've not hoed and the other indicates you've neglected.

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Plots shouldn't cause a nuisance to anyone else.

Weeds that seed and spread are a no no.

Annual weeds are more acceptable than perennial weeds.  One indicates you've not hoed and the other indicates you've neglected.

Give and take. Some folk will have a personal issue. A problem. So for me a years grace is fine. I was on a rather competive site the last time.

For me, there were likely problems if no sign of work by the start of May. The exception, mentioned elsewhere, someone who grew quick growing greens and could have a few harvests in the middle months.

If there were these signs, we would usually ask if any issues.

Notably if they had been there for years.

Some chap accross the way. Took the plot the same time as my wife. Nothing done. We know where that will go.

Different if someone has been there for years.

sarahbell
6 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Give and take. Some folk will have a personal issue. A problem. So for me a years grace is fine. I was on a rather competive site the last time.

For me, there were likely problems if no sign of work by the start of May. The exception, mentioned elsewhere, someone who grew quick growing greens and could have a few harvests in the middle months.

If there were these signs, we would usually ask if any issues.

Notably if they had been there for years.

Some chap accross the way. Took the plot the same time as my wife. Nothing done. We know where that will go.

Different if someone has been there for years.

We've got someone who clearly expected their other half to do more than he does. Doomed.
The other potential problem people have been once this year. They've written the year off because they've been busy.

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

We've got someone who clearly expected their other half to do more than he does. Doomed.
The other potential problem people have been once this year. They've written the year off because they've been busy.

Little and often.

I think I have joined that group of itinerant  alloment types.

I dont't expect to be there in 3 years. I expect that soil will be a lot better after!

I used to think there were 3 groups. 

Folk who would be there long term. Over 10 years unless they moved or circumstances stopped.

Mid termers. Hammer it and a tail off at about year 3 or 4 before quit.

The want to do it....but well....won't.

sarahbell
7 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Little and often.

I think I have joined that group of itinerant  alloment types.

I dont't expect to be there in 3 years. I expect that soil will be a lot better after!

I used to think there were 3 groups. 

Folk who would be there long term. Over 10 years unless they moved or circumstances stopped.

The want to do it....but well....won't.

I think there are the people who see it as a place to spend time as well as tend. Then there are the people who have a dream of having an allotment but don't have the time or commitment to put into it to actually turn the dream into reality.

We have a short probation and now have has two people who've passed by completely sorting out a small proportion of their plot and "cutting down" the rest. And then doing absolute fuck all to extend the cultivated area and then struggling to actually keep things alive. Mostly due to lack of time. 

If you're only going to tend a meter or two of land then stay at home and have a window box. 

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

I think there are the people who see it as a place to spend time as well as tend. Then there are the people who have a dream of having an allotment but don't have the time or commitment to put into it to actually turn the dream into reality.

We have a short probation and now have has two people who've passed by completely sorting out a small proportion of their plot and "cutting down" the rest. And then doing absolute fuck all to extend the cultivated area and then struggling to actually keep things alive. Mostly due to lack of time. 

If you're only going to tend a meter or two of land then stay at home and have a window box. 

My son pointed out the committee notice of 19 on the waiting list.

He asked why put that out.

We used to have a tight probabtion time for newbies. A must. Or you end up on an endless cycle. Long termers with issues? Give them time. Newbies no.

I am a newbie now. They just dont know my background. Mind the chair has me sussed. More committee meetings again in the autumn I expect😄

sarahbell
13 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

My son pointed out the committee notice of 19 on the waiting list.

He asked why put that out.

We used to have a tight probabtion time for newbies. A must. Or you end up on an endless cycle. Long termers with issues? Give them time. Newbies no.

I am a newbie now. They just dont know my background. Mind the chair has me sussed. More committee meetings again in the autumn I expect😄

On the notice board?
Some sites used to put the actual list on the wall. 

We've invited our two to the site next weekend to have a chat about their plots.

They've had nearly a week with the site inspection report that says "it's too untidy" so they'll have had about a fortnight by the time we meet with them. 

Sites have an obligation to prevent plot neglect. It damages the site having long established perennial weedy plots. They seed and spread. Are awfully hard work for new people to get on top of. 

• Agree 2

The Grey Man

I feel a bit like nosey neighbour here but it  is opposite our plot.

The guy took it on in September last year. My wife saw him then. In fairness there was at least one year fallow and no weeding. Wife and son haven't seen him since.

I have seen him once. He has a 4ft square raised bed with spuds.

He has thrown some chippings down over maybe a 1/4 of the plot.

The greenhouse is on open soil. Great grass harvest.

The back 3/4 is pushing 4ft high.

Another two ladies who started with us have cleared the plot and have it growing well. Next door to the plot pictured.

I hope something has been said but lets face it; it is not for him.

20220704_175056.thumb.jpg.a4d85ab0fa5e3fe7c1102e956ac61a2d.jpg

• Agree 1

Stinky Wizzleteats
On 02/07/2022 at 23:34, The Grey Man said:

This was me. Enjoyed it but a difficult job on my own and feeling guilty about not going meant that I binned it off at the 5 year mark.

The pots outside the back door have supplied me with salad greens and a few strawbs

• Agree 3