DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What’s attacking my chillies

One percent

One percent

See photo. Nothing else but i did find a small leaf on my tomatoes that did look shrivelled.  Checked for crawly things and nothing visible to the naked eye. Sprayed with an organic insecticide just in case but leaves still turning shrivelled. It’s stunting the growth obviously.  

BE78D6A5-A45B-4CB0-9D1F-9D6AD5103F54.jpeg

One percent
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Some sort of leafsucker thing.
Check at different times of day/evening

Ah, you think it’s something that scuttles off?  In that case, it’s doing it at night. I’ll be out with my torch tonight. 

sarahbell
3 hours ago, One percent said:

Ah, you think it’s something that scuttles off?  In that case, it’s doing it at night. I’ll be out with my torch tonight. 

Lift all the pots up.

Look under the leaves. It'll be somewhere.

(There might be more than one)

One percent
3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lift all the pots up.

Look under the leaves. It'll be somewhere.

(There might be more than one)

Looked under the leaves. Nothing. I thought it was some kind of aphid attack.  Will inspect all the pots.  What’s weird is that the hottest of the chillies are worsed effected. 

Bobthebuilder
32 minutes ago, Upsettah said:

Possibly Red Spider Mite.

They can cause damage to "medicinal" plants as well.

• Informative 1

One percent
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

They can cause damage to "medicinal" plants as well.

Oh fuckerty fuck.  
I’ve been doing some research (well googling) and it might be overwatering. I’m leaning to the spider mites though but haven’t seen any in the greenhouse. 

One percent
1 hour ago, feed said:

What are you feeding them.  Was it new compost.  

Nothing up to now although I’ve just done my weekly tomorite tomato feed and gave the chillies some too. Yep, new compost, same as what everything else is planted up in.  A mix of the crap peat free, composted horse manure and john innes no 2. 

The Masked Tulip
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Nothing up to now although I’ve just done my weekly tomorite tomato feed and gave the chillies some too. Yep, new compost, same as what everything else is planted up in.  A mix of the crap peat free, composted horse manure and john innes no 2. 

What Is Eating My Pepper Plants at Night? The Whole Truth

https://www.evergreenseeds.com/what-is-eating-my-pepper-plants-at-night/

• Informative 1

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

With that amount of damage, if it were an invertebrate pest you'd see them.  Damage to all leaves like that, first though was over feeding / excess nitrogen maybe, but if you've not seen anything similar in over crops, perhaps not. 

But if that's the general moisture level of the soil, then you are over watering.  Personally i'd move them and not water for a while.  

• Informative 1

One percent
41 minutes ago, feed said:

With that amount of damage, if it were an invertebrate pest you'd see them.  Damage to all leaves like that, first though was over feeding / excess nitrogen maybe, but if you've not seen anything similar in over crops, perhaps not. 

But if that's the general moisture level of the soil, then you are over watering.  Personally i'd move them and not water for a while.  

Already moved them from the floor to the staging. I’m sure I’m not overwatering as I don’t water until compost feels dry. 

29 minutes ago, One percent said:

Already moved them from the floor to the staging. I’m sure I’m not overwatering as I don’t water until compost feels dry. 

The bottom plant in your pic soil is too moist.  Obviously it's point in time, so i don't know how long it's like that lasts.  If it's hothouse and it's dry in 24 hours, fair enough, but if it's that moist for anymore than a day it's overwatered. 

Personally i don't water mine until i start to see some leaf droop.   

IMAG6366.thumb.jpg.7d1b94bcc5eb63f43fb16639018c0316.jpgIMAG6365.thumb.jpg.895a0e680afd4f7b2f62fa43859ebd35.jpg

the soil under the vermiculite looks like that on the smaller plant, top plant does need watering now but the small plant still doesn't.  It'll vary by variety, but it's much easier to overwater than underwater them.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

One percent
10 minutes ago, feed said:

The bottom plant in your pic soil is too moist.  Obviously it's point in time, so i don't know how long it's like that lasts.  If it's hothouse and it's dry in 24 hours, fair enough, but if it's that moist for anymore than a day it's overwatered. 

Personally i don't water mine until i start to see some leaf droop.   

IMAG6366.thumb.jpg.7d1b94bcc5eb63f43fb16639018c0316.jpgIMAG6365.thumb.jpg.895a0e680afd4f7b2f62fa43859ebd35.jpg

the soil under the vermiculite looks like that on the smaller plant, top plant does need watering now but the small plant still doesn't.  It'll vary by variety, but it's much easier to overwater than underwater them.  

Yours look incredibly healthy. Jealous.  

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Yours look incredibly healthy. Jealous.  

i didn't show you the half dozen that had an aphid infestation. 

• Lol 2

Spiney Norman
9 minutes ago, ccc said:

Yes I only read recently they actually like to be rather dry for a bit in between being watered. 

Top advice.

Best to keep chillies a little on the dry side. I used to grow lots of chillies with good results and thats what I learned.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Upsettah
22 hours ago, Spiney Norman said:

Top advice.

Best to keep chillies a little on the dry side. I used to grow lots of chillies with good results and thats what I learned.

They're like wimminz. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.

Logans Lost Finger
On 03/07/2022 at 13:36, One percent said:

See photo. Nothing else but i did find a small leaf on my tomatoes that did look shrivelled.  Checked for crawly things and nothing visible to the naked eye. Sprayed with an organic insecticide just in case but leaves still turning shrivelled. It’s stunting the growth obviously.  

BE78D6A5-A45B-4CB0-9D1F-9D6AD5103F54.jpeg

Overwatering or too much feed. Best to water when the leaves start to wilt. Can take a week or two.

• Informative 1

One percent
1 minute ago, Logans Lost Finger said:

Overwatering or too much feed. Best to water when the leaves start to wilt. Can take a week or two.

I’ve three types of chilli. This is only impacting my jololika white. The other two varieties have been treated exactly the same. I’ve been laying off the watering though, following the advice on here. 

Logans Lost Finger
On 04/07/2022 at 19:43, feed said:

i didn't show you the half dozen that had an aphid infestation. 

I get aphids every sodding year and have never found a satisfactory and organic solution.  Garden hose is the most effective but only buys 2-3 days.