DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Computer Problem: Keyboard/Mouse Frequently Stop Working

JoeDavola

Question

JoeDavola

My main work computer (Windows PC) is on the blink here and it's very annoying, keyboard/mouse suddenly stop responding and I have to restart.

The weird thing is the computer doesn't crash as such, I can still use the power button to do a 'clean' shutdown, but the keyboard and mouse don't work again until I restart, and the problem is happening more frequently the last couple of days to the point where the computer is getting un-useable.

Anyone encountered this?

I'm guessing it must be:

- drivers

- hardware problem on the motherboard where I'd guess the USB ports are mounted

- problem with the keyboard/mouse themselves (unlikely I'd have thought)

Anything else?

12 answers to this question

Is there another set of USB ports to try? Often there's two or more sets of various types (backwards compatible so basic stuff like keyboard and mouse will work in any as long as the connector is the same) so will be isolated to some degree if one set is acting up.

Are you sure it's not freezing so unresponsive? Usually that means a psu on its way out or other hardware failing unless recently upgraded something and that's causing the issue.

Has Windows updated. Could try rolling back the latest updates if it's done a save of the old state to rollback to and you have access to it.

If you have a laptop or other PC you could try remote access to see if that works when the keyboard and mouse stop responding to see if it really is them or a deeper problem.

Can you get work to replace it or loan you something to use while they look at it? Presume you don't work for yourself and if you do you should have backup devices so not reliant on one piece of crap Windows PC (they are all crap as it's Windows xD) so can still earn the money.

Carl Fimble
4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

My main work computer (Windows PC) is on the blink here and it's very annoying, keyboard/mouse suddenly stop responding and I have to restart.

The weird thing is the computer doesn't crash as such, I can still use the power button to do a 'clean' shutdown, but the keyboard and mouse don't work again until I restart, and the problem is happening more frequently the last couple of days to the point where the computer is getting un-useable.

Anyone encountered this?

I'm guessing it must be:

- drivers

- hardware problem on the motherboard where I'd guess the USB ports are mounted

- problem with the keyboard/mouse themselves (unlikely I'd have thought)

Anything else?

HYTSIOABOA?

JoeDavola
33 minutes ago, ccc said:

If it's a wireless have you checked the battery ?

I know but it happened to me :ph34r::D

Cheeky cunt!

(But actually fair question - no it's not wireless.)

After posting the topic I unplugged the mouse I'd been using and tried another wired mouse I had lying around the flat and the problem's not happened since, might just be a chance or the mouse itself might have been fucking things up though I'm not sure how.

• Informative 1

JoeDavola
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BoSon said:

Is there another set of USB ports to try? Often there's two or more sets of various types (backwards compatible so basic stuff like keyboard and mouse will work in any as long as the connector is the same) so will be isolated to some degree if one set is acting up.

Are you sure it's not freezing so unresponsive? Usually that means a psu on its way out or other hardware failing unless recently upgraded something and that's causing the issue.

Has Windows updated. Could try rolling back the latest updates if it's done a save of the old state to rollback to and you have access to it.

If you have a laptop or other PC you could try remote access to see if that works when the keyboard and mouse stop responding to see if it really is them or a deeper problem.

Can you get work to replace it or loan you something to use while they look at it? Presume you don't work for yourself and if you do you should have backup devices so not reliant on one piece of crap Windows PC (they are all crap as it's Windows xD) so can still earn the money.

There's other ports aye but I think I've tried different ones already.

Yep windows is upgraded.

I honestly don't think it's freezing, like it stopped reponding today in the middle of a Teams conference call that I didn't wanna drop out of so I contined chatting away to everone in the call but I just couldn't use the keyboard/mouse until a restart.

I've got a new laptop that I can use it'll just be a pain moving all my work stuff on to it, should really prioritise that now though.

10 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

HYTSIOABOA?

Yes, that's what I have to do at the moment to fix it every time!

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Lol 1

16 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Cheeky cunt!

(But actually fair question - no it's not wireless.)

After posting the topic I unplugged the mouse I'd been using and tried another wired mouse I had lying around the flat and the problem's not happened since, might just be a chance or the mouse itself might have been fucking things up though I'm not sure how.

Aye always worth having a spare keyboard and mouse to hand. Now mice are optical only problem I've had is the buttons stop working as that's the only mechanical bit left.

It could be the mouse driver has updated for the new one so may have been the old driver for the old mouse that was at fault. Though unless something fancy with additional controls or buttons I'd think they used the bog standard Microsoft driver.

• Agree 1

Carl Fimble
36 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes, that's what I have to do at the moment to fix it every time!

Great, I'll mark this query as resolved. 

Have a good day!

• Lol 1

JoeDavola
3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Great, I'll mark this query as resolved. 

Have a good day!

You are a true tech support pro!

"Ok mate I can get that support ticket closed off then..."

• Lol 1

Carl Fimble
Just now, JoeDavola said:

You are a true tech support pro!

"Ok mate I can get that support ticket closed off then..."

I'm afraid that ticket number relates to a query which has been marked as resolved.

Just let us know by raising another support ticket if you have any difficulty with anything else.

Thanks again!

• Lol 1

ashestoashes

what does the task manager show ? something hogging all the interrupts ? or do you have a lot of apps open at the same time