DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Huel (and other on the go food suppliments)

Jonty Willis the Third

Jonty Willis the Third

Have had a bit of stomach trouble today. No appetite, so as I usually do, I tried some 'meal in a bottle' drink. Huel

Huel Chocolate Complete Meal Drink

Tasted rather gloopy and too sweet. But apparently It's the complete meal.

Is it really any good? and more to the point, are there any 'meal drinks' out there that are truly beneficial? Over the years I have consumed the following:

Nurishment (too much sugar)

Kefir (all brands)

Huel

Various Protein shakes.

Are any of these any good, and if not, what is a good 'liquid meal' (preferably not obscure to buy) for when the stomach plays up or you just don't feel hungry but need nutrients.

• Vomit 1

ILikeCake

Why not buy a blender and make your own? Most mornings I have oats, blended with banana and whey.  Sometimes I add peanut butter, spinach and other fruits.

• Agree 2

spunko

I know quite a bit about (one of )Huel's founders if you're interested. But put it like this, I've never bought it, even once!

On a personal level, and leaving aside the oddball founder, if you don't have time to prepare a decent healthy meal and have to rely on processed sugar-laden "complete meal" like a dog, then you're doing something wrong.

Plus, Huel is the biggest spender on Facebook adverts in the UK, even outspending Nike and Disney. Doesn't sound like they have many recurring customers - must taste like shite!

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2

Jonty Willis the Third
43 minutes ago, spunko said:

I know quite a bit about (one of )Huel's founders if you're interested. But put it like this, I've never bought it, even once!

On a personal level, and leaving aside the oddball founder, if you don't have time to prepare a decent healthy meal and have to rely on processed sugar-laden "complete meal" like a dog, then you're doing something wrong.

Plus, Huel is the biggest spender on Facebook adverts in the UK, even outspending Nike and Disney. Doesn't sound like they have many recurring customers - must taste like shite!

It does taste like liquidised shite!

And I see what you mean about the founder:

James Collier RNutr (@JamesCollierMT) / Twitter

Looks like he'd devour your liver with a nice chianti.

• Lol 2

With a crooked smile
1 hour ago, Jonty Willis the Third said:

It does taste like liquidised shite!

And I see what you mean about the founder:

James Collier RNutr (@JamesCollierMT) / Twitter

Looks like he'd devour your liver with a nice chianti.

He ran or was main mod for muscletalk a very popular forum back in the day.

• Informative 2

With a crooked smile

My general view is I don't want these things to make up a large proportion of my diet. I generally have some bars that mix oats and protein for if I'm in a rush.

To be fair tho my favourite mini meal or snack is whole wheat bagel with lots of peanut butter and a sliced banana on top. Takes no time to make.

8 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

My general view is I don't want these things to make up a large proportion of my diet. I generally have some bars that mix oats and protein for if I'm in a rush.

To be fair tho my favourite mini meal or snack is whole wheat bagel with lots of peanut butter and a sliced banana on top. Takes no time to make.

That's not a snack! I sometimes have a pitta bread with two heaped tbsp of PB on it which I calculate at around 700 calories. You can add another 150 for a bagel. O.o

On 06/07/2022 at 00:56, Joncrete Cungle said:

Cows milk.

Aye, from what I've seen most of the protein/recovery shakes are mostly based on milk and whey. May as well eat a block of cheese and avoid the marketing bullshine. xD

apples
Posted (edited)

Never tried them. Makes me think of "men" like this:

index2.png.154be8a7802a78d5ddaecf85c289f97a.png

who have problems like this:

index.png.f57739d3f83a53ea63f87acf42bc1305.png

Maybe if he ate properly, he'd be able to open a bottle. Not an isolated incident:

index.jpeg.bc13ac1bd5f8af60d5efe368d6db5197.jpeg

(Huel doesn't contain soy, to be fair, and that last one might be a troll)

Edited by apples
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 4

spunko
1 hour ago, apples said:

If it's a "complete meal", he must be drinking ten of them...

spunko

Are these just basically whey based drinks with loads of sugar and a few multivitamins added? There's not much evidence that popping multivitamins / enriched food actually does much.

You can't cheat nature. Eat proper vegetables :Old:

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, BoSon said:

Aye, from what I've seen most of the protein/recovery shakes are mostly based on milk and whey. May as well eat a block of cheese and avoid the marketing bullshine. xD

That's casein protein which takes ages to digest unlike whey. Your mussels need protein fast after training so whey and waxey maize ftw 

JoeDavola
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Are these just basically whey based drinks with loads of sugar and a few multivitamins added? There's not much evidence that popping multivitamins / enriched food actually does much.

You can't cheat nature. Eat proper vegetables :Old:

This.

Health does not come from powder produced in some factory.

Eat real food instead.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Stuey said:

That's casein protein which takes ages to digest unlike whey. Your mussels need protein fast after training so whey and waxey maize ftw 

Chocolate milkshake FTW. B|

3 hours ago, apples said:

who have problems like this:

index.png.f57739d3f83a53ea63f87acf42bc1305.png

Maybe if he ate properly, he'd be able to open a bottle. Not an isolated incident:

index.jpeg.bc13ac1bd5f8af60d5efe368d6db5197.jpeg

(Huel doesn't contain soy, to be fair, and that last one might be a troll)

Bang on time:

Soylent Green

In 2022, Earth is overpopulated and totally polluted; the natural resources have been exhausted and the nourishment of the population is provided by Soylent Industries, a company that makes a food consisting of plankton from the oceans.

... or does it? xD

With a crooked smile
10 hours ago, Stuey said:

That's not a snack! I sometimes have a pitta bread with two heaped tbsp of PB on it which I calculate at around 700 calories. You can add another 150 for a bagel. O.o

Depends on how much muscle you have!

pepe-laugh-pepe-frog.gif

Roger_Mellie
22 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

This.

Health does not come from powder produced in some factory.

Eat real food instead.

If you want a particular macro balance it's not always that straight forward. Most foods even 'real' foods are pretty high carb. If you want to tip the balance towards protein then powder can help. 

I have one shake a day, 2 if I train and I have one straight after I've finished. 30g portion, 50/50 whey and collagen. I use it to wash down my vit D, magnesium and cod liver oil supplementsxD

JoeDavola
2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

If you want a particular macro balance it's not always that straight forward. Most foods even 'real' foods are pretty high carb. If you want to tip the balance towards protein then powder can help. 

I have one shake a day, 2 if I train and I have one straight after I've finished. 30g portion, 50/50 whey and collagen. I use it to wash down my vit D, magnesium and cod liver oil supplementsxD

Yes I should have explained - I can see the need for a protein shake for lifters.

I just dont like the idea of 'meal replacements' as a significant part of the diet and think that with a bit of research you can hit all your vitamin needs using real food, which will have other good things in it that you'll never get in synthetic vitamins.

I take VitD as well and Magnesium is one that I've seen some people benefit from.

Some evidence of supplemental Iodine being good and most people won't get K2 in any meaningful amount so supplementing with K2 might be an idea.

• Agree 1

haroldshand

You are better off just getting the raw ingredients in various  food outlets and a few brilliant cookbooks and maybe one good book on the science of healthy eating and don't trust companies to do it for you. Plus it's far more rewarding and pleasant tasting. 

It cracks me up when you get these heavily marketed companies that advertise on TV and will tell you they box all the ingredients for you with cards that show you how to put those meals together to "make a healthy meal", isn't that the same concept we have been using for over a century now and it's called a cookbook.

I just aware constantly  of bad and too many carbs as they are the real evil and don't over due it with protein, 30 grams per sitting is plenty and the most an average person needs per day is 130=160 ish grams

• Agree 1

On 08/07/2022 at 11:44, Roger_Mellie said:

Yeah I have a shake pre- and post-workout but they are not cheap in terms of protein. Usually have a protein bar each day too although they're not great on the stomach. 

I'm also finding having red meat with an added few grams of salt as my evening meal really gives me an extra kick in the gym the day after. I'm guessing the salt forces nutrients into the muscles and may have a similar effect to creatine...

Roger_Mellie
3 hours ago, Stuey said:

Yeah I have a shake pre- and post-workout but they are not cheap in terms of protein. Usually have a protein bar each day too although they're not great on the stomach. 

I'm also finding having red meat with an added few grams of salt as my evening meal really gives me an extra kick in the gym the day after. I'm guessing the salt forces nutrients into the muscles and may have a similar effect to creatine...

It's getting expensive, but still worthwhile. This is one where the science is unequivocal - more protein = better results and whey is the best protein. 

On the salt thing though, if you think it's doing something similar to creatine why not just buy creatine? It's cheap as fuck and another one where there have been so many studies over decades showing its safety and effectiveness you might aswell just do it. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie