DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

BM diesel costs

nirvana

nirvana

what's the biggest cost and the worst thing that can go wrong?

surely it can't be that bad if you can fix it yourself?

why would I want a smelly lardy diesel u thinks....

well I live where the roads are very very smooth and they can 'bahnstorm' up n down the country and piss off Audi drivers xD

UmBongo

Not a BM but I paid £1500 for a new turbo on a Nissan Almera diesel once. 

The clutch also failed about a year into ownership - about £1150. O.o

Any money savings I made driving an economical diesel car were wiped out by maintenance costs. 

• Bogged 1

nirvana
26 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Not a BM but I paid £1500 for a new turbo on a Nissan Almera diesel once. 

The clutch also failed about a year into ownership - about £1150. O.o

Any money savings I made driving an economical diesel car were wiped out by maintenance costs. 

yeah I've heard interesting stories about 'car repairs' over the years.....

a lot of turbos are just held on with a few bolts......and here's a brand new nissan turbo for £158!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363668730917

whitevanman

BMW diesels snap their cam chains. My dads 520d just did it at a little over 100k miles. Serviced on time but the chains are puny and wear fast. For some reason BMW put them on the back of the engine so they are very difficult to change. 

I wouldn’t touch any BMW with a barge pole 

• Cheers 2

Frank Hovis

If you watch some Car Wizard or Scotty Kilmer videos they are sufficient to put you off BMWs (and Porsches) as used purchases.

There are two main problems with BMWs - there are lots of plastics used in the engine for lightness, so in engine temperatures they become brittle and break, and there is no thought put to the need to access parts to replace them.

Car Wizard ended up refusing to work on BMWs because he felt like he was robbing people because he was charging them $1,000 for replacing a $2 seal on an older car.  This was however what the work costs because of the number of engine parts that had to be removed to access that seal.

They said that whilst BMWs are great looking and great driving cars you would be best off leasing them from new for a few years and then handing them back.

I thought French diesel engines were well thought of but with the EU regs the more modern they are the more complex and fragile they are.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 1

Long time lurking

BM diesels bad points in particular and especially so when they have 100K plus on the clock are swirl flaps failing net result destroys engine ,the second one is timing chains and the cost of replacing them ,they and VAG had the bright idea of putting them on the back of the engine the rest ,as stated above regarding DMF clutches turbos etc is the same for just about every diesel made in the last 15 years 

The best sorted diesel is probably the Merc 2.0L  basically it has just been refined over the lats 20 years the same can be said for the 3.2 -3.0 L straight six but be very wary of the first V6 and the first 7 speed autos things really went bad for them 

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Long time lurking
6 hours ago, nirvana said:

yeah I've heard interesting stories about 'car repairs' over the years.....

a lot of turbos are just held on with a few bolts......and here's a brand new nissan turbo for £158!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363668730917

That will certainly be of Chinese origins ,you won`t get much change from £600 for a remanufactured one by a reputable company probably £1000 + for a new OEM part also the turbo you posted a link to is for an 18 year old car ,things have moved on since then ,far more complicated /expensive

But yes you are correct most are all held on by a few bolts ,the problem is in many cases it might involve hours of work  to allow you to even seen those few bolts never mind undo them 

Edit to also ad as it`s a BM you were asking about if it`s under about 8 years old the chances are it will have two turbos not one 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Agree 1

belfastchild
2 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

That will certainly be of Chinese origins ,you won`t get much change from £600 for a remanufactured one by a reputable company probably £1000 + for a new OEM part 

But yes you are correct most are all held on by a few bolts ,the problem is in many cases it might involve hours of work  to allow you to even seen those few bolts never mind undo them 

Or in the case of the 1.6 hdi engine, what caused the turbo to fail in the first place (blocked oil sender pipe in the sump which probably has debris from the leaky injector seals in the head).

nirvana

yeah......ummm............arrrrr..............decisions decisions lol

59 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

BM diesels bad points in particular and especially so when they have 100K plus on the clock are swirl flaps failing net result destroys engine ,the second one is timing chains and the cost of replacing them ,they and VAG had the bright idea of putting them on the back of the engine the rest ,as stated above regarding DMF clutches turbos etc is the same for just about every diesel made in the last 15 years 

The best sorted diesel is probably the Merc 2.0L  basically it has just been refined over the lats 20 years the same can be said for the 3.2 -3.0 L straight six but be very wary of the first V6 and the first 7 speed autos things really went bad for them 

Cant be true, every post on any EV subject on my Facebook feed we are always told that EV batteries need to be replaced after just 5 years at huge cost and all ICE car's can be fixed for shirt button costs and last for an easy 500k miles. 

Seems someone is telling porkies?  BTW we had a 2002 BMW E46 320i. Amazing car straight six 2.2 , gave it a LPG conversion and had it from 2007-2014 with no big repair bills just home servicing and a few minor engine ancillary stuff. 

Long time lurking
4 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah......ummm............arrrrr..............decisions decisions lol

In a nutshell you cannot compare modern diesels with the reliability of the old ones which they were famous for due to their simplicity ,now they are at the other end of the spectrum incredibly complex but in terms of performance and economy they are out standing all things being equal  all at the cost of reliability 

A tale from the small side of the marine world  a few weeks ago  two different 400hp engines but the same manufacture  one mechanical the other electronically controlled 6 new injectors for the former less than a grand for the parts one new injector for the later £850 then you have to pay someone to come and program it to talk to it`s master (engine ECU) another £300 minimum  diesel cars have gone the same way ,but injectors are coming down in price 

• Informative 2

Long time lurking
5 minutes ago, markyh said:

Cant be true, every post on any EV subject on my Facebook feed we are always told that EV batteries need to be replaced after just 5 years at huge cost and all ICE car's can be fixed for shirt button costs and last for an easy 500k miles. 

Seems someone is telling porkies?  BTW we had a 2002 BMW E46 320i. Amazing car straight six 2.2 , gave it a LPG conversion and had it from 2007-2014 with no big repair bills just home servicing and a few minor engine ancillary stuff. 

Yep and they all bought NiCad battery tools just before Lion came about because they were going to have a great resale price xD

How many greater fools are out there that`s willing to pay 35K (the current asking price for a 7 year old module S )for a car that could need a £23k repair in a few years  xD 

7 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Yep and they all bought NiCad battery tools just before Lion came about because they were going to have a great resale price xD

How many greater fools are out there that`s willing to pay 35K (the current asking price for a 7 year old module S )for a car that could need a £23k repair in a few years  xD 

Probably the same amount paying £35k for high end 7 year old ICE cars with time bomb diesel engines and ruinous MPG figures and VED tax costs. 

If Tesla Model S had a high (50%+) complete failure rate since 2012 they would be worthless, the fact they dont tells you the chance of buying a lemon is quite low (but not impossible) .

Plus if it does die you can always decide to get back five figures selling the battery pack and drive train to classic car convertors and break the rest for 2nd hand parts.  Cant do that if you have a huge ICE engine failure on a old expensie car, it becomes the value of lumps of metal. 

whitevanman
1 minute ago, belfastchild said:

Or in the case of the 1.6 hdi engine, what caused the turbo to fail in the first place (blocked oil sender pipe in the sump which probably has debris from the leaky injector seals in the head).

The 1.6 HDi has a service kit to fix the problem. I think it consists of a new oil line and strainer for the turbo. The 2.0HDi engines are very reliable. Both benefit from more regular oil changes than scheduled.

I had a 406 estate with the 2.0HDi engine. Regularly used to get 65mpg and nearly 1000 miles out of a tank. Lovely, comfortable car that was pleasant to drive if not a ball of fire

nirvana

i think I'm looking at an N47S1 - how much for a new block if the chain goes? 

Long time lurking
50 minutes ago, markyh said:

Probably the same amount paying £35k for high end 7 year old ICE cars with time bomb diesel engines and ruinous MPG figures and VED tax costs. 

If Tesla Model S had a high (50%+) complete failure rate since 2012 they would be worthless, the fact they dont tells you the chance of buying a lemon is quite low (but not impossible) .

Plus if it does die you can always decide to get back five figures selling the battery pack and drive train to classic car convertors and break the rest for 2nd hand parts.  Cant do that if you have a huge ICE engine failure on a old expensie car, it becomes the value of lumps of metal. 

EV `s as of now are a scam the fact there`s already proven battery technology out there that would outlast the car tells me all i need to know and that's why i`m against them mechanically and performance wise they are superior to ICE that has been known for well over a century  

They are the same as Mountain bikes of the 1990`s 25 years later they have just reached the dizzy heights of suspension and braking technology that was in use in the early 90`s on motocross bikes ,electric cars are following the exact same path ,every few years there will be better batteries which is fine but it will destroy the value of anything that came before it the same as Lion power tools did to Nicad power tools ,they simply become worthless very quickly ,,it`s all marketing remove the government subsidy and there would be no market fo EV`s that should tell you all you need to know 

A 7 year old model S would cost me 4-5 times more than i have spent on the purchase of vehicles in the last 25-30 years combined ,i have had one breakdown in that time that required the AA/RAC and have never payed anyone to repair or service them it`s all been done by myself  and i`m doing 15-20k a year most years 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Informative 1

Long time lurking
12 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

. Both benefit from more regular oil changes than scheduled.

I think all modern diesels requires that ,forget the 10K+ 6-7K for the oil ,i`m pretty sure the manufactures don`t want them to last 500k like the old ones did

• Agree 1

whitevanman
25 minutes ago, nirvana said:

i think I'm looking at an N47S1 - how much for a new block if the chain goes? 

If you want a bmw diesel the 6 cylinder engines are generally more reliable than the 4s. They still have problems just less of them. Plus they go and sound ok whereas the 4 cylinder engines do not

• Cheers 1

whitevanman
20 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think all modern diesels requires that ,forget the 10K+ 6-7K for the oil ,i`m pretty sure the manufactures don`t want them to last 500k like the old ones did

My dads 520D had 18k miles oil change internals. N47 engine went bang.

nirvana
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

If you want a bmw diesel the 6 cylinder engines are generally more reliable than the 4s. They still have problems just less of them. Plus they go and sound ok whereas the 4 cylinder engines do not

ok but I would say an N47 with twin turbos, 215bhp and 450 Nm probably does 'go ok' lol........as long as something isn't about to break :o

Edited by nirvana

nirvana
52 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

My dads 520D had 18k miles oil change internals. N47 engine went bang.

what year was it out of interest? cheers

belfastchild
1 hour ago, markyh said:

They have a 100% failure rate currently.

Or are you forgetting having to replace the chip because someone thought they wouldnt need a buffer that refreshes.

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

EV `s as of now are a scam the fact there`s already proven battery technology out there that would outlast the car tells me all i need to know and that's why i`m against them mechanically and performance wise they are superior to ICE that has been known for well over a century  

They are the same as Mountain bikes of the 1990`s 25 years later they have just reached the dizzy heights of suspension and braking technology that was in use in the early 90`s on motocross bikes ,electric cars are following the exact same path ,every few years there will be better batteries which is fine but it will destroy the value of anything that came before it the same as Lion power tools did to Nicad power tools ,they simply become worthless very quickly ,,it`s all marketing remove the government subsidy and there would be no market fo EV`s that should tell you all you need to know 

A 7 year old model S would cost me 4-5 times more than i have spent on the purchase of vehicles in the last 25-30 years combined ,i have had one breakdown in that time that required the AA/RAC and have never payed anyone to repair or service them it`s all been done by myself  and i`m doing 15-20k a year most years 

Ryobi ,  i still have lith-ion and nicad 18v batteries, my power tools still hold value fine.  ............ and they did remove the subsidy in the UK earlier in the year, Yet EV's are still outselling ICE over 2:1 so far in 2022. 

8 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

They have a 100% failure rate currently.

Or are you forgetting having to replace the chip because someone thought they wouldnt need a buffer that refreshes.

Never hear of it so assume it's a warranty fix, so what. If is was a big issue of huge cost it would crash the used values, they are holding up fine. 

Edited by markyh