DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

VED beaurocratic madness

MrPin

As everyone knows, my car is now 29 years old, and I am thinking of replacing it with something else.

When you check on some of these "bargains" for sale, the VED could be £630 annually, if you buy the wrong year, because the government keeps changing the rules, based on alleged emissions. It's just bizarre

• Agree 6

Also don't forget to 'tax' it every year if you get one with 'no tax' /£0 tax. 

You're exactly the same in the Gov/police's eyes as someone skipping out on a £600+ a year tax if you don't give them some website clicks every year and will get fined. 

• Informative 2

Aye, older cars should have a middle class between young upstart paying through the nose to support the rest, and the old fart classic cars that have earned their OAP privileges. xD

Off to collect a car today, a 22 year old 'modern classic' or 'shed' depending on who's looking at it, for under a grand yet road tax is £290 despite it being greener to drive an older cheap to repair car than a brand new one in terms of materials.

Biggest concern is driving it back without aircon. It has an aircon button but they rarely work on such a car at such an age. Got breakdown cover in case it doesn't make it the 250 odd miles back. What a grand day out it should be. xD

The train to get it is costing me £100 using split ticketing to avoid the national rail price of £150 for same journey. Another example of the great british rip-off as dickeads in government make up rule after rule so it's all an illogical mess.

The great reset maybe won't be so bad after all. xD

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, MrPin said:

As everyone knows, my car is now 29 years old, and I am thinking of replacing it with something else.

When you check on some of these "bargains" for sale, the VED could be £630 annually, if you buy the wrong year, because the government keeps changing the rules, based on alleged emissions. It's just bizarre

A load of made up shite, I'm looking for a van to allow me to drive in LEZ without being reamed every time I do and having to use the shitty payment systems to not only park but pay a fee each time. 

Take the windows out of a tiny, ultra efficient car and make it a panel derived van and suddenly it becomes a fume breathing monster, £290 VED regardless of engine size, emissions, unless it adheres to the magical Euro 6 rules. We're talking about a piddly van say the Nemo / Bipper that is about as efficient you can get being on the same charge as something literally two or three times the size and emissions. If it didn't have the windows it would be £30. Almost be worth it buying the car, wrapping it and ripping out  the interior.

Then you have the vagaries of a few models which were Euro 4 or Euro 5 complaint in a couple of odd years about s2005 ish, they also magically are on a different charging scale altogether, £140. Another group is vans built before 2001, again on a lower band.

Now I wouldn't normally want to chase the work in town but what is coming down the pipe think it might be prudent to do so as so many other trades refuse to work there due to costs / aggro of doing , so rates and work availability are pretty good and likely to stay so.

Then there is the issue of buying a car that gets into current rules that could then potentially change from LEZ to ULEZ months or years down the line completely arbitrarily.

Edited by onlyme

Chewing Grass

The whole emissions thing is rigged in favour of 3 tonne SUVs with diesel engines and actively discriminates against cars that weigh less than half that weight but have a wee petrol engine.

Cheap credit and globalised German car companies were the worst thing that ever happened for the UK who should have followed the Japanese model.

No off road parking and you can't have a 3-tonne SUV.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, BoSon said:

Aye, older cars should have a middle class between young upstart paying through the nose to support the rest, and the old fart classic cars that have earned their OAP privileges. xD

Off to collect a car today, a 22 year old 'modern classic' or 'shed' depending on who's looking at it, for under a grand yet road tax is £290 despite it being greener to drive an older cheap to repair car than a brand new one in terms of materials.

Biggest concern is driving it back without aircon. It has an aircon button but they rarely work on such a car at such an age. Got breakdown cover in case it doesn't make it the 250 odd miles back. What a grand day out it should be. xD

The train to get it is costing me £100 using split ticketing to avoid the national rail price of £150 for same journey. Another example of the great british rip-off as dickeads in government make up rule after rule so it's all an illogical mess.

The great reset maybe won't be so bad after all. xD

Buy a car over 40 years old, then it's "classic" status , no MOT needed and no VED.  1982 and older. Hmmm, my 1983 A Reg XR2 would be a classic next had i kept it. 

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

A load of made up shite, I'm looking for a van to allow me to drive in LEZ without being reamed every time I do and having to use the shitty payment systems to not only park but pay a fee each time. 

Take the windows out of a tiny, ultra efficient car and make it a panel derived van and suddenly it becomes a fume breathing monster, £290 VED regardless of engine size, emissions, unless it adheres to the magical Euro 6 rules. We're talking about a piddly van say the Nemo / Bipper that is about as efficient you can get being on the same charge as something literally two or three times the size and emissions. If it didn't have the windows it would be £30. Almost be worth it buying the car, wrapping it and ripping out  the interior.

Then you have the vagaries of a few models which were Euro 4 or Euro 5 complaint in a couple of odd years about s2005 ish, they also magically are on a different charging scale altogether, £140. Another group is vans built before 2001, again on a lower band.

Now I wouldn't normally want to chase the work in town but what is coming down the pipe think it might be prudent to do so as so many other trades refuse to work there due to costs / aggro of doing , so rates and work availability are pretty good and likely to stay so.

Then there is the issue of buying a car that gets into current rules that could then potentially change from LEZ to ULEZ months or years down the line completely arbitrarily.

Cant you buy a car hatchback, leave in the rear glass, remove the rear seats and have the back "plywood" lined , leaving a low bulkhead so the rear view mirror can still be used?   Then it is useable as a small van but technically still a car. You could also have the rear glass wrapped so it could be sign written. 

Edited by markyh
  • Agree 2

Frank Hovis

Or simply keep the car for another eleven years and then there is zero road tax :)

Historic vehicle tax exemption

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2022 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1982. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered before 8 January 1982, you can still apply to stop paying vehicle tax.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/vehicles-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Or simply keep the car for another eleven years and then there is zero road tax :)

Historic vehicle tax exemption

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2022 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1982. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered before 8 January 1982, you can still apply to stop paying vehicle tax.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/vehicles-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

OMG Just realised that in 1983, I had as a company car, one of the very first Ford Sierras. Any left?

It was so futuristic looking at the time, that people used to stare, point at and comment on it.

Now it's so old it would be nearly old enough for free car tax.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

16 minutes ago, markyh said:

Buy a car over 40 years old, then it's "classic" status , no MOT needed and no VED.  1982 and older. Hmmm, my 1983 A Reg XR2 would be a classic next had i kept it. 

Ah yes, I have thought of this, but they will be quite old and wonky, if not maintained properly, and some ridiculously fetch a lot of money.

belfastchild
17 hours ago, MrPin said:

There were a lot of bargains when Ireland switched to the new rules. Suddenly that 2008 gas guzzler was 2400 odd euro to tax. No import fee to NI and only registration to pay.

Their 'classic' tax is 30 years and 50 quid IIRC.

A lot of folk used to drive round in fiesta vans when I were a lad due to the tax rules on them down south, van variants of everything, novas, etc etc.

The VED thing is a nightmare for some cars. Pre 2001 is the sweet spot, Ive two before that that have the flat rate of tax, both only taxed for 6 months of the year (sometimes less with a refund)

• Informative 1

The ULEZ expansion in London is forcing people to get rid of perfectly fine older cars. Scrappage scheme by stealth.

At some point ULEZ could be expanded to cover the whole of the UK to force everyone into leccy cars, as there must be some greenwashing backhanders to government to keep implementing these daft policies when the opposite of 'make do and mend' would be the better course of action.

[The downside of older cars is things tend to break. Had to abort my trip today as the seller called to say the radiator fan was making a strange noise so needs replacing as it wouldn't be a good idea to drive it the distance I was intending, so now waiting for them to let me know when it's been fixed. Old car parts not as easy to get same day, though they may as well get one from the scrapyard, if it works it works. Have asked for a quote for delivery to avoid all this train faff, presume they outsource it to those offering such services via shiply or similar so may not be that expensive if willing to wait for someone coming this way with a space on their transporter.]

• Agree 1

23rdian
On 13/07/2022 at 17:59, MrPin said:

It's now crazy complex and doesn't make any sense. You can pay £20 or £30 for an "evil" diesel but £300+ for a less polluting older petrol.

Or pay £160 ish for anything you like as long as it's newer - but just not brand new.

1 minute ago, 23rdian said:

It's now crazy complex and doesn't make any sense. You can pay £20 or £30 for an "evil" diesel but £300+ for a less polluting older petrol.

Or pay £160 ish for anything you like as long as it's newer - but just not brand new.

I'm quite happy to pay the £300 for a fairly posh car, but £600, I don't think so. I don't do sufficient mileage. Even the motorbike costs over £100 now. I think it just encourages vehicle churn, driven by some very important EU vehicle manufacturers.

• Agree 1