DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Bye bye EV charging cables, bye bye

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

Well.

The notoriously unreliable EV charging network, plus home chargers not in a garage, has become a shiny thing for magpie-like thieves.

They are cutting off the cables to sell their copper content.  This video says it's worth £60 - £70 each cable but I have seen £150 cited in another video.

This video says that they are even being cut when cars are still charging, he thinks they'll be risking electrocution but they'll have thick rubber handles on the cutters.

All of those chargers with easy 24 hour access are suddenly looking very exposed indeed.

Bought an EV?  Regretting it yet?

• Informative 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 3

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well.

The notoriously unreliable EV charging network, plus home chargers not in a garage, has become a shiny thing for magpie-like thieves.

They are cutting off the cables to sell their copper content.  This video says it's worth £60 - £70 each cable but I have seen £150 cited in another video.

This video says that they are even being cut when cars are still charging, he thinks they'll be risking electrocution but they'll have thick rubber handles on the cutters.

All of those chargers with easy 24 hour access are suddenly looking very exposed indeed.

You cant fuck with the Public's transport, it's like it they tried to steal all the fuel constantly from everyone's tanks. They will be caught and banged up soon enough in sting operations. 

This isn't Africa, you cant fuck with the system. 

Edited by markyh

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great prediction there Jon!

If it becomes a big issue they will just change the law and make it illegal to scrap in copper without being a corporation level with an approved permit and source traceability and logs, simples, You cant fuck with 1st world transport,  

• Lol 1

Chewing Grass
13 minutes ago, markyh said:

This isn't Africa, you cant fuck with the system. 

That is the funniest post you have ever made.

Cheers, I'm going to use that tomorrow, will get a raise with that one.

I value it at 8.5% exc VAT, before NI & any tax.

Boomshanka.

• Lol 1

58 minutes ago, markyh said:

If it becomes a big issue they will just change the law and make it illegal to scrap in copper without being a corporation level with an approved permit and source traceability and logs, simples, You cant fuck with 1st world transport,  

They've already introduced loads of rules and laws related to scrap. 

Surprising noone they just sell their illegally acquired goods... Illegally. 

You say it like this hasn't been the exact problem the trains have had for at least 20 years or , you would be surprised to find out it still happens even now. 

Here's a few weeks ago. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/railway-thieves-steal-cabling-causing-north-wales-train-delays/ar-AAZfBXq

What was that about fucking with 1st World transport? 

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well.

They are going to need great patience. After more than a month I still haven't seen a car in our special reserved EV parking space.

• Lol 1

belfastchild
13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Think I paid 25 quid recently for a pair of insulated gloves to 1000v ac.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis
20 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Think I paid 25 quid recently for a pair of insulated gloves to 1000v ac.

Cut just one cable and they'll have paid for themselves twice over.

• Agree 1

Snake Plissken

i'd have thought nicking the batteries (or cars for the batteries) would be target too , can imagine a black market for them as peoples wear out

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

i'd have thought nicking the batteries (or cars for the batteries) would be target too , can imagine a black market for them as peoples wear out

Almost certainly. How many ICE cars get nicked to order for parts though?  Plus you have the big issue of "coded" components that need main dealer equipment to be transfered car to car.  I'm sure this happens in the ICE world but not heard it's a huge issue. 

belfastchild
4 hours ago, markyh said:

Almost certainly. How many ICE cars get nicked to order for parts though?  Plus you have the big issue of "coded" components that need main dealer equipment to be transfered car to car.  I'm sure this happens in the ICE world but not heard it's a huge issue. 

It is a huge issue. Its becoming more prevalent with the shortage of parts from new for any car. Previously it was the high end BMWs, mercs, range/land rovers but now its any cars.
When you get quoted a grand for the likes of a tps and 6-9 months to get the part, probably easier to find out where else its installed and go nick one of them.
Car theft and stripping is big business. There have been warnings in the press in the last month or two of a spike in thefts purely for stripping down for parts.
You can buy the dealer software off ebay with chinese clone interfaces for not a lot of money. I have it for both my passenger cars.

Joncrete Cungle
18 hours ago, markyh said:

Like they did with catalytic converter theft...... They won't stop pikies sending shipping containers ram packed full with stolen scrap to France / Belgium.

• Agree 2

Mirror Mirror
On 13/07/2022 at 20:29, whitevanman said:

Pikies will save us

They won’t. ICE cars will still be banned, whether you can hold on to your charging cable, or whether the grid can supply enough power to charge everyone’s EV, is your problem.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
55 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

They won’t. ICE cars will still be banned, whether you can hold on to your charging cable, or whether the grid can supply enough power to charge everyone’s EV, is your problem.

The absence of anything even approaching a decent charging grid, together with the "cost of living crisis" meaning that many people are already skint, provides a ready made excuse for the ICE ban to follow that for gas boilers in new houses and be kicked down the road several years in an easy vote win.

Plus modern ICE cars will easily run for twenty years and thirty with a decent maintenance schedule so the only people who are likely to be inconvencienced in practice would be those having to drive into the clean air charging zones.

My favourite "kick down the road" is FM radio shut off.  This was first mooted in the 90s with shut off IIRC about 2007.  This has now been pushed out beyond 2031 because it is seen as a vote loser.

In any case there is a commitment to maintain community FM radio. This means that as long as there are significant numbers of listeners on FM in the United Kingdom no government is likely to take the politically unpopular decision to turn off analogue. Support for the FM switch off in the UK is limited. In July 2020, provided the stations also broadcast on digital radio, UK government has decided to allow Ofcom to renew analogue FM and AM licences for a further ten-year period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_the_UK

• Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The absence of anything even approaching a decent charging grid, together with the "cost of living crisis" meaning that many people are already skint, provides a ready made excuse for the ICE ban to follow that for gas boilers in new houses and be kicked down the road several years in an easy vote win.

Plus modern ICE cars will easily run for twenty years and thirty with a decent maintenance schedule so the only people who are likely to be inconvencienced in practice would be those having to drive into the clean air charging zones.

My favourite "kick down the road" is FM radio shut off.  This was first mooted in the 90s with shut off IIRC about 2007.  This has now been pushed out beyond 2031 because it is seen as a vote loser.

In any case there is a commitment to maintain community FM radio. This means that as long as there are significant numbers of listeners on FM in the United Kingdom no government is likely to take the politically unpopular decision to turn off analogue. Support for the FM switch off in the UK is limited. In July 2020, provided the stations also broadcast on digital radio, UK government has decided to allow Ofcom to renew analogue FM and AM licences for a further ten-year period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_the_UK

I think the 2030/2035 bans will remain, for three reasons.  

1. This is not about 2030/35 it's about 2050 Net Zero, and after 20 years a lot of ICE cars are no longer running due to being scrapped for one reason or another. 

2. Euro 7 will see New ICE car prices soar before the end of the decade, new "cheap" cars wont exist, making EV's look much more attractive. 

3. EV's will keep improving, their prices for entry keep falling, and by 2030 they will certainly be over 50% of ALL new car sales, with pure petrol and diesel cars most likely below 20% in total, the remaining cars will be hybrids for those that need that quick fill up. 

It will come slowly slowly then very quickly.  It wont be a big feature of the next GE as the silent majority still wont feel threatened by EV's as they will still be the minority of the fleet. Most FB comments i see these days have moved from "i will never have an EV" to "I would love and EV but cant afford £30k/£40k/£50k for a new car" 

Come the next election there will be a good few hundred thousand 2019-2022 ex lease EV's coming off lease and hitting the used markets, offering cheaper nearly new EV entry points, pushing prices down slightly on the older 2010-2018 EV's giving some 2 tier entry points for those that dont always buy only in £1k and under "bangernomics" . 

Battery issues with EV's with active BMS systems (Non Nissan Leaf) will be more proven to be predictable range loss and still very very useable, especially as the 2nd car in the family and charging systems country wide from destination to on route will continue to expand as Petrol forecourts decline / are converted to EV only. 

31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

FM radio works. It has been deleted in Norway, but the Germans vow to carry on with it.

It's all amounts to a very different geography. Norway is long and thin with about 12 people in it, but Germany is round with a lot of listeners.

Option5
Just now, MrPin said:

FM radio works. It has been deleted in Norway, but the Germans vow to carry on with it.

It's all amounts to a very different geography. Norway is long and thin with about 12 people in it, but Germany is round with a lot of listeners.

FM works in Norway on a regional level, I still get FM stations in the car as it doesn't have DAB.

• Informative 2

5 minutes ago, Option5 said:

The plug in hybrids will be ok, nobody ever plugs them in anyway :D.

I did, maybe retired for now but our 2012 Chevy Volt was pretty much charged and discharged 100% to empty at least twice daily for 8 years and 105k miles.  The car paid for itself over the £17k purchase price in fuel savings alone, let alone very low repair bills.  

Just now, Option5 said:

FM works in Norway on a regional level, I still get FM stations in the car as it doesn't have DAB.

Ah, I thought they were planning to turn it off. A radio station in Bodo might have few listeners.

• Agree 1

Option5
20 minutes ago, markyh said:

I did, maybe retired for now but our 2012 Chevy Volt was pretty much charged and discharged 100% to empty at least twice daily for 8 years and 105k miles.  The car paid for itself over the £17k purchase price in fuel savings alone, let alone very low repair bills.  

I know someone who collects end of lease Mercs, they nearly all come back with the charging lead still sealed in its bag.

He found on once where the bag had actually been opened, the guy told him he tried it once out of curiosity.

Apparently it's a company car tax break?

• Agree 1