Jump to content
DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

IGNORED

BMW heated seats subscription


Albo

Recommended Posts

Don't know how BMW think they are going to get away with this.

https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-criticised-for-putting-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall-12651279

BMW criticised for putting heated seats behind a paywall

The hardware for the features advertised on BMW's ConnectedDrive store must already be installed in the vehicles during production - but drivers have to pay extra to turn them on.

For drivers in the UK, using the installed system to heat a front seat costs £15 a month, or - at a discount for longer subscriptions - £150 for a year, £250 for three years or £350 for perpetuity.

  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent
Just now, Albo said:

Don't know how BMW think they are going to get away with this.

https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-criticised-for-putting-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall-12651279

BMW criticised for putting heated seats behind a paywall

The hardware for the features advertised on BMW's ConnectedDrive store must already be installed in the vehicles during production - but drivers have to pay extra to turn them on.

For drivers in the UK, using the installed system to heat a front seat costs £15 a month, or - at a discount for longer subscriptions - £150 for a year, £250 for three years or £350 for perpetuity.

People i know have “bought” a brand new one, 60k on tick. Gawd knows what that is a month. What’s another 15 quid.  
 

I wonder whether you can opt in and out, so that you are only paying in the winter months.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

People i know have “bought” a brand new one, 60k on tick. Gawd knows what that is a month. What’s another 15 quid.  
 

I wonder whether you can opt in and out, so that you are only paying in the winter months.

It's not just the seats. 

Heated steering wheel £10 per month.

Cruise control and automatic braking bundle- £35 per month.

 

  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SpectrumFX

BMW wants a slice of the easy rentier money.

They can fuck off.

I haven't even got a driving license and they've pissed me off pulling this shit just on general principle.

Edited by SpectrumFX
  • Agree 7
  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chewing Grass
43 minutes ago, Albo said:

Don't know how BMW think they are going to get away with this.

https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-criticised-for-putting-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall-12651279

BMW criticised for putting heated seats behind a paywall

The hardware for the features advertised on BMW's ConnectedDrive store must already be installed in the vehicles during production - but drivers have to pay extra to turn them on.

For drivers in the UK, using the installed system to heat a front seat costs £15 a month, or - at a discount for longer subscriptions - £150 for a year, £250 for three years or £350 for perpetuity.

So you bought a heated seat that's fitted to your car as part of 'its cost to manufacture', however 97.5% of people rent BMWs so until it hits the used market years down the line the electric seat isn't yours. Its either BMWs or the lease/finance companies, I suspect its the former as the lease companies would have screwed every cost possible out of the manufacturer as part of their deal.

Its all in the small print (probably).

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent
34 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

So you bought a heated seat that's fitted to your car as part of 'its cost to manufacture', however 97.5% of people rent BMWs so until it hits the used market years down the line the electric seat isn't yours. Its either BMWs or the lease/finance companies, I suspect its the former as the lease companies would have screwed every cost possible out of the manufacturer as part of their deal.

Its all in the small print (probably).

I guess that if you are actually buying it second hand, the sensible thing to do is to negotiate to have the features switched on as part of the price you pay. If the sealer doesn’t want to play ball, then you go to another stealer who will.  

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nirvana
1 hour ago, One percent said:

People i know have “bought” a brand new one, 60k on tick

christ i hope it gives em an orgasm when they plant the accelerator pedal xD

what model was that for crying out loud??

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent
3 minutes ago, nirvana said:

christ i hope it gives em an orgasm when they plant the accelerator pedal xD

what model was that for crying out loud??

Fuck knows. It’s one of those suv thingies. Haven’t a pot to piss in either.  xD

  • Bogged 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis

This is like one of those John Bird / John Fortune sketches where John Bird builds outlandish nonsense upon outlandish nonsense and a goggle eyed John Fortune manages to remain polite and playing along.

"We've made these new BMWs with heated seats as standard."

"That's good."

"And a heated steering wheel."

"That's a nice touch; not many cars have those."

"Well, no. And nor do ours."

"I don't understand."

"Well they're there of course, but you can't have them.  Unless you pay."

"Pay?"

"A modest sum, just a trifle really to cover our overheads."

"You mean you buy the car with this fitted.  And then you have to pay so that they work?"

"That's right."

"I see.  Well, thank you for clarifying that.  Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

  • Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23rdian
3 hours ago, Albo said:

Don't know how BMW think they are going to get away with this.

https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-criticised-for-putting-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall-12651279

BMW criticised for putting heated seats behind a paywall

The hardware for the features advertised on BMW's ConnectedDrive store must already be installed in the vehicles during production - but drivers have to pay extra to turn them on.

For drivers in the UK, using the installed system to heat a front seat costs £15 a month, or - at a discount for longer subscriptions - £150 for a year, £250 for three years or £350 for perpetuity.

Had to check that it wasn't April the 1st. 

The best part is, if you opt out you get to pay to carry around all the extra weight with no benefit to yourself.

Edited by 23rdian
  • Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is f**king ridiculous. If anyone plays along with this  scam, well, they are stupid.
On the plus side, some one will eventually work out how to re code the ECU and get all the paywall features enabled.

  • Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SillyBilly

Another reason not to buy a BMW. I'd not buy any car under these conditions. Be liking buying a house from Taylor Wimpey and then being asked to pay a subscription for use of the boiler if you want hot water. I'm a capitalist by nature but when you hear these sorts of scheme you do see how toxic the system can be when taken to its excesses. 

  • Agree 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight

After leaving my car in the sun all day the seats and steering wheel are blister inducing hot.

Why would anyone pay for this?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Albo said:

It's not just the seats. 

Heated steering wheel £10 per month.

Cruise control and automatic braking bundle- £35 per month.

 

It's all tat I would never use anyway.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snake Plissken
19 hours ago, Albo said:

It's not just the seats. 

Heated steering wheel £10 per month.

Cruise control and automatic braking bundle- £35 per month.

 

someone needs to have a crash and sue BMW for disabling safety features fitted to the car

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Another reason not to buy a BMW. I'd not buy any car under these conditions. Be liking buying a house from Taylor Wimpey and then being asked to pay a subscription for use of the boiler if you want hot water. I'm a capitalist by nature but when you hear these sorts of scheme you do see how toxic the system can be when taken to its excesses. 

They saw how well things like this work with Tesla, and took it next level.  Tesla have several extra's you can activate for the length of your ownership if you pay a fixed price, and others you can activate monthly via a sub if you wish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

belfastchild
3 hours ago, markyh said:

They saw how well things like this work with Tesla, and took it next level.  Tesla have several extra's you can activate for the length of your ownership if you pay a fixed price, and others you can activate monthly via a sub if you wish. 

Is it like Virgin/sky? Can you ring up and cancel to see if they will do you a better deal.

 

I was going to mention earlier in the thread not to blame BMW as Tesla have been doing this sort of thing for years but thought Id just be accused of tesla bashing.

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

belfastchild

For those of us with other normal cars there is a lot of stuff that is installed on cars as its cheaper to be uniform and just not offer different options for different cars.

In another thread I mentioned manufacturers software and data cables. Ive turned scandavian mode on in one of my cars (lights on all the time, like new cars have) and if I hadnt gone for a special edition on one of the others a 15 quid chinese cruise control stalk and enabled in the ecu would have switched the cruise control option on in that car (was only available on european cars at the time).

Loads of stuff like that has been going on for years, could be worth checking forums for you own cars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

For those of us with other normal cars there is a lot of stuff that is installed on cars as its cheaper to be uniform and just not offer different options for different cars.

In another thread I mentioned manufacturers software and data cables. Ive turned scandavian mode on in one of my cars (lights on all the time, like new cars have) and if I hadnt gone for a special edition on one of the others a 15 quid chinese cruise control stalk and enabled in the ecu would have switched the cruise control option on in that car (was only available on european cars at the time).

Loads of stuff like that has been going on for years, could be worth checking forums for you own cars.

At least it was possible to add these features yourself by just buying the 'better models' steering wheel with the controls or a cheap stalk, many cars didn't even need the ECU to be touched to enable them, just plug and play or a wiring harness. 

This is like having the stalk and buttons sitting there in front of you, they just won't work until you pay £x per month.

 

it's likely you can modify the ECU when the cars out of warranty and old enough for software to be out that the public can access but losing your warranty to save £300 over 3 years is not going to be a good choice. 

And it's only a step away from them making things like that tamperproof similar to the big phone manufacturers such as Samsung where gaining root access permanently flags up and bricks many features along with your warranty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sleepwello'nights

Even as recently as the late 1950s a heater was an optional extra in many cars. Luxury cars had things like power steering, electric windows and fog lights as available options. 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Option5

My stepdad bought a car (Vauxhall Victor I think) and reversing lights were a cost option he didn't take.

I went to get next door's kids football from under the car and noticed a wired up reversing light switch, so I fitted a fuse in the fuse box and put bulbs in the light cluster.

Hey presto, reversing lights

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

leonardratso

haha funnily enough me and my boss on teams yesterday. I havent even got a BMW.

 

[Yesterday 17:42] ME right then im going to make a fire under the drivers seat in my car with old rags and petrol, ill show BMW what they cant charge me for free stuff that i can do myself.

[Yesterday 17:44] HIM that's it! show these motherf* who you are

 

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great Guy

I'd imagine from a bmw perspective it saves a lot of hassle in the factory to limit the number of seat options they have.

On a luxury car you really expect heated seats as standard....

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Option5
6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'd imagine from a bmw perspective it saves a lot of hassle in the factory to limit the number of seat options they have.

On a luxury car you really expect heated seats as standard....

If any of these options add weight or complication I'd asked for them to be physically removed as they would increase fuel consumption and have more things to go wrong. Also if they require any time spent on them during servicing (safety checks etc.) They would be adding cost/risk for no benefit to me.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...