DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The drought and my blackberries

humdrum

humdrum

The good news is that the blackberries have fruited early. The not so good news is that they are rather small and as sharp as razors. And probably the best news is that Herself, who could be frugal for Yorkshire, has started chucking them in the curries.

• Agree 1

sarahbell

Crap init.
The woodpigeons are eating unripe elderberries now.
Mostly cos they've eaten everything else.
They've been on one plot at least twice today but I can't work out what they've been trying to eat

Chewing Grass

Checked my local Damsons this week, they fruited heavily last year but this year there are only a handful on each one.

humdrum
9 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Checked my local Damsons this week, they fruited heavily last year but this year there are only a handful on each one.

Have something similar. My plum trees are usually very heavy croppers, but this year's crop looks decidedly unimpressive 

I suppose it is my fault for complaining about all the rain earlier in the year, but I think the joke has gone on long enough and we could do with one of our traditional summer down pours

humdrum
22 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Crap init.
The woodpigeons are eating unripe elderberries now.
Mostly cos they've eaten everything else.
They've been on one plot at least twice today but I can't work out what they've been trying to eat

To be honest, I am not that bothered. I love gardening, hate to see anything go to waste and these days can't be arsed to get out of my chair and gather in the whatever.

I was rather hoping the local kids would solve the problem with a bit of enthusiastic scrumping, but these days children seem ridden with a sense of basic decency. Where have we failed them?

That is a good point about the pigeons. They must have stomach of brass.

Talking of which, I have emptied several potato tubs and found ant nests in them. The ants bit lumps out of me, which was fair enough, but then spent hours running around like blue bummed flies. So what I can't figure out is that now their nest is destroyed, do they have a central rallying point or are they just buggered? 

sarahbell
1 hour ago, humdrum said:

Talking of which, I have emptied several potato tubs and found ant nests in them. The ants bit lumps out of me, which was fair enough, but then spent hours running around like blue bummed flies. So what I can't figure out is that now their nest is destroyed, do they have a central rallying point or are they just buggered? 

They'll reconvene.

humdrum
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

They'll reconvene.

Good.

Ants are a damn sight more industrious than I have ever been and I don't want to emulate them, but they deserve an A for effort :)