• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Ever been on a package holiday?

Recommended Posts

I've not been away for a week on a holiday abroad for erm 14 years.

Previously I'd always travelled independently hating the thought of be forced on tours to here and there or singing karaoke. 

This is the last evening on holiday with our 10 year old in Madeira.

It's actually been pretty good we've done are own stuff when we wanted too.

Low point was a fucking BBC today.

 

 

 

It

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never go on holiday. It's not fun.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Would you believe I was listening to farming today :)

I like that. It's more realistic than the news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope always done from scratch. First trip I ever took abroad I flew to HK to meet a gaming friend I'd never met irl (originally I'd wanted to go to Boston where she was living at Uni, but she'd gone back to Shen Zhen for the summer) ... was the height of my adventurousness though :) 

Thought of being told what to do and when, Reps checking if I'm OK, being corralled in any manor, bus tours... no thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I don't do package is when I go to the US because I like just driving to where the mood takes me and there are always going to be plenty of chain hotels; plus I speak the language and have been there enough times to know how everything works (e.g. you will have trouble getting a hotel Saturday night because so many people go away for the weekend so get there early on the Friday and book in for two nights).

With a package I see it as guaranteed safe delivery to your hotel and retrieval therefrom so it cuts the hassle out of it; once you're in the hotel you join in or not as is your wont.

The only package holiday I'd avoid is cheap all inclusives or anything too cheap generally as it's likely to attract the wrong crowd like @JoeDavola's Irish nurse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do Club Med with the missus and the wee lass when I can afford it. It's a lot better than I expected at first, and they treat the kids like kings/queens, almost too much so. Great food, lots of activities, socialising optional. There is nothing for the BPD missus to whine about, this helps a lot. And sometimes there are tarty Club Med girlies that flirt with me and wind up the missus. Bonus!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The only time I don't do package is when I go to the US because I like just driving to where the mood takes me and there are always going to be plenty of chain hotels; plus I speak the language and have been there enough times to know how everything works (e.g. you will have trouble getting a hotel Saturday night because so many people go away for the weekend so get there early on the Friday and book in for two nights).

With a package I see it as guaranteed safe delivery to your hotel and retrieval therefrom so it cuts the hassle out of it; once you're in the hotel you join in or not as is your wont.

The only package holiday I'd avoid is cheap all inclusives or anything too cheap generally as it's likely to attract the wrong crowd like @JoeDavola's Irish nurse.

You speak American?  Cool :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Thought of being told what to do and when, Reps checking if I'm OK, being corralled in any manor, bus tours... no thanks!

I totally get you   but travelling with a child with limited time and money means you can't  do the indie thing.

 

This holiday we have pretty much left to do what we want and go were we want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

You speak American?  Cool :)

I do now, on one of my early trips I said I'd been delayed because a lorry had jacknifed on the mountain road.

I then had to explain to the blank faces that a lorry was a truck and what it meant when it jacknifed.  I self-edit these days.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been on one. I much prefer to sort everything out myself. I love spending weeks on the research and getting the best I can for my money.

The best trip I ever did was with another couple for our combined 40th Birthdays. We were going to New York and Niagara.

I took control of organising everything in Niagara - my friend did everything in New York.

Neither knew until arrival what the other had sorted. It was brilliant. Competitive holiday arranging is the future!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like travelling by myself. However sometimes it's just better to go with an organised tour. Let's face it, waiting hours for a local bus is crap. Sometimes it's just better to be part of a group and always have a tour guide/ bus at hand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do now, on one of my early trips I said I'd been delayed because a lorry had jacknifed on the mountain road.

I then had to explain to the blank faces that a lorry was a truck and what it meant when it jacknifed.  I self-edit these days.

Don't worry. First time I rented a car in Miami I asked the rental guy how I got into the boot.

I am a fast learner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JackieO said:

 

I totally get you   but travelling with a child with limited time and money means you can't  do the indie thing.

 

This holiday we have pretty much left to do what we want and go were we want. 

I'm not there on the kid front :) My missus gets annoyed at me as she likes to plan, myself I started an open ended trip in Thailand, first time I'd ever been, with just 3 nights booked and no idea where I was going next... couldn't do that with a kid or my missus. We've done several trips to spain together where we just have a hotel and car and decide what to do day by day, suits us fine atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do now, on one of my early trips I said I'd been delayed because a lorry had jacknifed on the mountain road.

I then had to explain to the blank faces that a lorry was a truck and what it meant when it jacknifed.  I self-edit these days.

First trip to the States, 1983, walked out of 49th St Hotel in NYC to see a group of men on the corner arguing with a policeman.

Policeman's partner asked me do you want to move on? to which I politely replied it's OK, I'm fine thanks, but changed my mind when he started to unbutton his holster!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Never been on one. I much prefer to sort everything out myself. I love spending weeks on the research and getting the best I can for my money.

The best trip I ever did was with another couple for our combined 40th Birthdays. We were going to New York and Niagara.

I took control of organising everything in Niagara - my friend did everything in New York.

Neither knew until arrival what the other had sorted. It was brilliant. Competitive holiday arranging is the future!

 

What daytime TV show was this for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my early 20's, by the time I realized my mates weren't ever going to do the traveling I wanted to, I considered those packages that take a small group of people in a tour around a certain part of the world, e.g. a certain part of the USA; itinerary planned with one or two days at each location.

In the end by the time I did start traveling in my late 20's, I just got up the courage to go it alone, and it was fantastic. Much better to have total freedom to do what you want when you want.

In fact out of all the holidays I've taken, the ones where I've been alone have been much better than the ones I've had with other people. I never got lonely even when I was away for over 2 weeks as I was up early every day and on my feet exploring new places for 8 hours a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

In my early 20's, by the time I realized my mates weren't ever going to do the traveling I wanted to, I considered those packages that take a small group of people in a tour around a certain part of the world, e.g. a certain part of the USA; itinerary planned with one or two days at each location.

In the end by the time I did start traveling in my late 20's, I just got up the courage to go it alone, and it was fantastic. Much better to have total freedom to do what you want when you want.

In fact out of all the holidays I've taken, the ones where I've been alone have been much better than the ones I've had with other people. I never got lonely even when I was away for over 2 weeks as I was up early every day and on my feet exploring new places for 8 hours a day.

I am confused, young grasshopper. This ^.  Yet you are nervous of going to Cambodia and Thailand on your own for a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Never been on one. I much prefer to sort everything out myself. I love spending weeks on the research and getting the best I can for my money.

The best trip I ever did was with another couple for our combined 40th Birthdays. We were going to New York and Niagara.

I took control of organising everything in Niagara - my friend did everything in New York.

Neither knew until arrival what the other had sorted. It was brilliant. Competitive holiday arranging is the future!

 

Could have ended up like this. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do now, on one of my early trips I said I'd been delayed because a lorry had jacknifed on the mountain road.

I then had to explain to the blank faces that a lorry was a truck and what it meant when it jacknifed.  I self-edit these days.

My anecdotal from a Memphis fast food establishment (think it was Burger King). Different menu to Uk. 

TGG (in reasonably plummy accent): Can I have a <weird word> burger meal please. 

Server: A wuh?????

TGG (in even Plummer accent): I would like a <weird word> burger meal please. 

Server (bursts into laughter): Hey Shawanda! Get out here! (Waits for colleague to arrive).  Say that again?

TGG (more amused than annoyed): I would like a <weird word> burger meal please (I think I tried to pronounce it 3 different ways). 

Server and Shawanda burst out laughing before finally understanding what I want. They tell me to take a seat while it gets cooked. 

While waiting for burger

Server: Hey, have you heard of Michael Jackson?

TGG: Of course. 

Server: Damn, you just cost me $5!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.