• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bakez

Quitting my job after 2 months

I think the only thing I can offer is that when I moved from retail management, which was, shall we say, lively, to an office job - for about two months it felt like I wasn't doing anything at all. Partly because I was new, and partly because I just sat in a chair all day. Not much ever happened that was "spontaneous" and I did initially miss the "buzz" of retail, even when that "buzz" consisted of trying to stand in the exact centre of the till point area far back enough so as to avoid having my eyes stabbed out by someone that I'd rumbled trying to use a stolen credit card.

If you aren't motivated your boss will probably have noticed and will already be working on a way to get rid of you.

Just come clean and agree to leave asap. If they used an agency they will at least be due a refund on some of the fees if you tell them soon.

Also, it is possible that the other people on the shortlist may still be looking for work so acting now would be best for everyone.

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Have you mentioned this stalker before? I would like to know the backstory, being a nosey so-and-so.

yes I've posted about her before

Better to realise your error early on and act on correcting it now, than to stay wasting your life in a job you hate. I once jacked a job after 4 days, knew it wasnt for me right from the off really.

Just dont tell 'em like this...

If Norway was a design  job get on the blower immediately, if they ask why sudden availability again just tell it as is - no chance of doing design / hands on work.  You are doing the right thing by just admitting to yourself that it was the wrong decision and moving on. Agree with corporates (and others tbh) after a while can only be taken in small doses. You sound like an ideal candidate for contract work.

On the plus side least you didn't have to lay out boards with the letraset type stuff!

If you fuck up on choosing a job then move quick.

A 3 month whole in your CV can be covered up by a 'Oh I had to sort some personal stuff out'

I fucked up on my first job out of Uni.

The, i was driven hard by being broke and needing to get experience.

After 3 months of interviews, I had 3 jobs. All involved moving out of the North too.

1 didnt fancy. 1 i facnied but did not pay as much as another, which I was not keen on the place (Thames valley).

I choose the Thames valley. And there started 2 depressing years. Total shithole of an area that I  only go back fleetingly.

Once I made that commitment, I had to get the magic 2 years of work experience under my belt. I was so happy leaving that dump.

I could have stuck the job, which was pretty shit, if it was somewhere else.

It easier after I have a bit of experience but Id always look to stay at least 1 year in a job. Bad form otherwise.

If you do move jobs in less than 1 year then make sure you only do it once!

I was once given some very sage advice from a very experienced person - he said that every time he changed job he hated the new one for 6 months, and learned to stick it out for that 6 months and only leave if he still hated it afterwards. He was a wise man - I took his advice on that occasion and ended up growing into the role that I had wanted to jack in myself.

But, life is too short to be miserable, or to go backwards. I think if it were me I'd do some real soul searching and try to find out whether it really is a shit job (e.g. you're not utilising your skills or doing what you thought you were hired to do, which seems to be at least partly the case for you), or whether you feel out of your depth, or just that you don't fit in or whatever. I think you need to be really honest with yourself, because once you are, the answer will be clear.

If the job is shit, jack it. If it's you that isn't coming up to scratch, either knuckle down and do your best, or jack it - but be willing to admit that it was your failing not the job.

I don't buy the whole "damage to your CV" thing. Jobs are relationships, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Someone who is going to scrutinise my CV and not hire me because one didn't work out is someone I wouldn't want to work for.

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The most spectacular admission of a mistake I ever saw was a bloke who started at our place on a Monday morning, and didn't come back after lunch.

The best admission I had was interviewing a candidate in one of those situational experience type formats. I had to ask him about a time he'd made a mistake, and he very candidly relayed a tale of how he brought down the entire production line of a major European beverage producer. Struggling to recover from that blow, I asked him what he did to resolve the situation, to which he answered, "I called someone else and got them to deal with it."

Finally, in a desperate attempt to help him salvage something, I asked him what he'd learned from the episode. His reply was "I learned that it can be very stressful when things go wrong like that."

He was a lovely bloke, but sadly we felt he wasn't quite what we were looking for.

Don't even put it on your CV. Time off. It's hardly uncommon. Long as it's here and there and not all the time I doubt most employers would give much of a shit. 

24 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I don't buy the whole "damage to your CV" thing. Jobs are relationships, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Someone who is going to scrutinise my CV and not hire me because one didn't work out is someone I wouldn't want to work for.

I worked somewhere that was monitoring road maintenance. I had my 3 month probationary period as I was pointing out too many defects on the road network. It was made clear I had to turn a blind eye to defects or I would lose my job... I quit soon afterwards...

In case anyone was wondering the company I worked for was CH2M.

46 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The most spectacular admission of a mistake I ever saw was a bloke who started at our place on a Monday morning, and didn't come back after lunch.

I'll top trumps that. A bloke I know went to work for Sony in Brussels, 9.30am they sit him at a desk and dump a stack of documentation in front of him. "read this, we'll probably be able to sort out an account and computer by the end of the week, these docs will give you an idea about our kernel architecture".

9.45 mate asks where the coffee machine is - and walks out.

Sony actually contacted the Brussels police they were worried about him (awwwe) who contacted another friend in the UK who told them "oh Phil, yeah he's ok, he's back home in the Forest"

31 minutes ago, ccc said:

Don't even put it on your CV. Time off. It's hardly uncommon. Long as it's here and there and not all the time I doubt most employers would give much of a shit. 

I was always told that you had to put something down, because if there were any gaps the employer would assume you were in prison.

xD

21 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I was always told that you had to put something down, because if there were any gaps the employer would assume you were in prison.

xD

That actually gives me an idea for a bit of a laugh for applying for some jobs I'm not interested in.

:D