DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Financial Cataclysm

HousePriceMania

HousePriceMania

from Martin Lewis ( Sunak's media lap dog ) ....Financial Cataclysm.

As far as I can tell it's all about energy prices and mortgage rates rising

He must be putting the shitters up a few people.  Maybe it's to prepare the path for what Comrade Sunak has in mind.

Could Martin Lewis be Prime minister one day? If shit continues to hit the fan he might emerge as one of these 'man of the people' 

He is also stinking rich as well though

Zootle Wordle

Re the above twitter vid, Spunko is it possible  to get a 'shitting yourself' emoji? I've put up a 'vomit' one but I don't think it carries the same weight if you know what I mean. :CryBaby: 

leonardratso

im still shocked he has a nice looking wife, would have thought a nice looking husband would have been more fitting for him.

He saved me 20 pence last decade, at the cost of millions of pounds this decade. His relevance is zero.

One percent
1 minute ago, leonardratso said:

im still shocked he has a nice looking wife, would have thought a nice looking husband would have been more fitting for him.

He saved me 20 pence last decade, at the cost of millions of pounds this decade. His relevance is zero.

Anyone who writes  “you “ as “u” deserves to be ignored. 

leonardratso
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

u aint lying there!

Lightly Toasted
5 hours ago, HousePriceMania said:

from Martin Lewis ( Sunak's media lap dog ) ....Financial Cataclysm.

As far as I can tell it's all about energy prices and mortgage rates rising

He must be putting the shitters up a few people.  Maybe it's to prepare the path for what Comrade Sunak has in mind.

He wants more handouts -- doesn't say so explicitly, but thinks the previous handouts have already been swallowed up and "not enough now".

On tax cuts: Won't help everyone and "I'll leave the inflationary risk to others" :S

Maybe he wants price controls -- he mentions petrol, food prices and LPG/oil in his "regulation" segment at the end.

The one sensible suggestion is public spaces where people can keep warm.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

nah I do that innit

u needs to get down wif da cool kids or become extinct like a dinosor....

wasn't it u wot was asking about gold luv? i hope u took my advice and didn't buy although now might be an interesting time....

no charge for the advice this time madam......gud luk sis :P

11 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

He wants more handouts

funny how all the posh cunts and the poor cunts are up for this nowadays eh?

everyone else, bend over and take it up da shitta like a gud citizen.......innit bro.....quelle terribles monde, n'est ce pas?

Micky Roberts

Who is this twat?

All he wants is more handouts and subsidies that will fuel inflation even further.

How about telling people to live within their means and if necessary get additional work. ( Loads available according to the government).

We do not live in Canada or Iceland.

Reduce the heating bills with lower room temperatures and fewer rooms heated for shorter periods. Put on additional clothing. Take cold showers instead of hot baths (very good for circulation and general health).

If food bills are getting too high cut out the Abdul deliveries. Cook from scratch; eat more salad (saving the energy bill) and again enjoy health benefits.

If your mortgage cost has just risen from historic interest rate lows and you did not allow any contingency then you really only have yourself to blame. If you can downsize then do it; if not consider taking in a lodger.

Be self sufficient - the government isn't going to look after you long term.

6 hours ago, Boon said:

Could Martin Lewis be Prime minister one day? If shit continues to hit the fan he might emerge as one of these 'man of the people' 

He is also stinking rich as well though

I like Martin Lewis and think he's done a lot of good things. However, I don't automatically support every campaign he's been involved in e.g. the WASPI campaign seems to attract a lot of attention when younger people will have a far worse deal.

HousePriceMania
1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

He wants more handouts -- doesn't say so explicitly, but thinks the previous handouts have already been swallowed up and "not enough now".

On tax cuts: Won't help everyone and "I'll leave the inflationary risk to others" :S

Maybe he wants price controls -- he mentions petrol, food prices and LPG/oil in his "regulation" segment at the end.

The one sensible suggestion is public spaces where people can keep warm.

Which will cause more inflation

He's clearly Sunak's mouthpiece!!!

4 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Which will cause more inflation

He's clearly Sunak's mouthpiece!!!

or Martin is Sunak's fountain of economic wisdom.

Bobthebuilder

The last couple of minutes are the more interesting bit, he talks about saving rates, mortgage rates and credit card debt.

I think, he knows we are fucked.

HousePriceMania
27 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

The last couple of minutes are the more interesting bit, he talks about saving rates, mortgage rates and credit card debt.

I think, he knows we are fucked.

What do you mean we, paleface? : r/RedditDayOf

leonardratso

All his advice over the years has come to nought. His advice is now defunct, he has no further advice to give.

Apart from suck it up buttercup.

belfastchild

He must shoulder some of the blame. It was the non scrutiny of these cheap energy companies that caused part of the problem.

People like him promoting them and giving them credibility is part of the problem.

leonardratso
2 hours ago, belfastchild said:

He must shoulder some of the blame. It was the non scrutiny of these cheap energy companies that caused part of the problem.

People like him promoting them and giving them credibility is part of the problem.

also those icelandic bank with high non existent interest rates? wasnt he pushing them at the time?, i cant remember, i never really listened to him, his scams to save 10 pence just used to bore me.

PatronizingGit
2 hours ago, belfastchild said:

Exactly. He's an intrinsic part of the never-ending problem-reaction-solution cycle. 

After reinstating the death penalty, and free and fair trials (of course) he'd be amongst the first to get the bullet, right alongside his lib-lab-con buddies. 

8 hours ago, Micky Roberts said:

Be self sufficient - the government isn't going to look after you long term.

I'm afraid you're wrong there.

This isn't the US where, if you fall, you generally fall hard. A life of being evicted from housing by gunpoint and no healthcare awaits millions if recession comes to pass. 

Meanwhile back in civilisation, the UK nanny state will trundle on with more nets than a fishing trawler. The government and BoE will bail out most people in one way or another if the shit hits the fan. I know most on here pine for harsher, libertarian outcomes, but I can't see that happening. There would be civil disorder and nothing puts the shits up the UK establishment like a spot of rioting and looting in London. 

9 hours ago, tank said:

I'm afraid you're wrong there.

This isn't the US where, if you fall, you generally fall hard. A life of being evicted from housing by gunpoint and no healthcare awaits millions if recession comes to pass. 

Meanwhile back in civilisation, the UK nanny state will trundle on with more nets than a fishing trawler. The government and BoE will bail out most people in one way or another if the shit hits the fan. I know most on here pine for harsher, libertarian outcomes, but I can't see that happening. There would be civil disorder and nothing puts the shits up the UK establishment like a spot of rioting and looting in London. 

At present the nanny state can't even reliably supply passports or ferry stroke victims to hospital but it has the resources to shield tens of millions of people from economic reality forever? Not sure I believe it.

24 minutes ago, Darude said:

At present the nanny state can't even reliably supply passports or ferry stroke victims to hospital but it has the resources to shield tens of millions of people from economic reality forever? Not sure I believe it.

Everyone is prepared to accept that the govt can't control the price of oil, wheat, chinese tat etc, at least not without consequences. But apparently they can perfectly control welfare, social cohesion and house prices indefinitely, without any problem whatsoever.

It's a long lasting illusion, but an illusion nonetheless.

Frank Hovis
17 hours ago, SCEPTICAL said:

I like Martin Lewis and think he's done a lot of good things. However, I don't automatically support every campaign he's been involved in e.g. the WASPI campaign seems to attract a lot of attention when younger people will have a far worse deal.

I agree bar with regard to the WASPI campaign; I thought they had a very strong case as the government should not have been able to unilaterally break the pension contract without making everyone affected very definitely aware of it.

It looked like a deliberate policy to keep it quiet so as not to lose votes and this caused big problems in indivdiuals' lives.

I absolutely agree with equalising male / femal state pension ages but the changes should have been trumpeted; maybe even to the extent of a referendum.  As it was they were tucked away in the business and politics pages of the press which a lot of people simply turn over without reading.

As to young people - again, the same - referendum.  "Should the state pension age be increased from 65?".

The rational that "we can't afford it" is an absolute nonsense.  Of course, as a developed economy, we can afford it and if other government spending has to be cut to fund it then so be it.

It should be brought back to 65 for everybody with anyone already having lost years between 65 and 66 or 67 refunded.

I don't think that I have got off "lightly" by receiving mine at 67 just because someone currently in their twenties will receive it at 70. I should receive it at 65 and so should they.

Lightly Toasted
18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It should be brought back to 65 for everybody with anyone already having lost years between 65 and 66 or 67 refunded.

I don't think that I have got off "lightly" by receiving mine at 67 just because someone currently in their twenties will receive it at 70. I should receive it at 65 and so should they.

It depends on what happens to life expectancy, though. There are actuarial/resource issue as well as fairness ones.

I do agree that women should have been informed and given more time, though. According to the WASPI campaign page the recommendation commissioned by the DWP was for 15 years of notice, which would have given women time to plan/adjust.

https://www.waspi.co.uk/background-information/

• The Turner Commission recommended 15 years notice, and Saga recommended 10 years. Yet many women report receiving little or no notice.

[...]

• Letters were sent out to women born on or after 6 April 1951 – 5 April 1953 14 years after the 1995 Pensions Act

• A large percentage of these women only received a letter advising them of significant increases to their State Pension Age within 1 year (i.e. when they were 59) of their expected State Pension Age of 60. Very many others received only 2, 3, 4 and 5 years notice.

• Women were given as little as one year’s notice of up to a 6 year increase to their State Pension Age, compared to men who received 6 years’ notice of a one year rise to their State Pension Age.

• Many women report receiving NO letter EVER

• Others say letters were sent to the wrong address despite notifying the DWP of the address change

The acid test is, what would happen (what remedies would the state enforce?) if a private-sector financial institution behaved in that way? I think we all know the broad answer to that: it would involve a lot of annoying advertising by outfits with names like "The Claims Guys" :D

1 hour ago, marceau said:

Everyone is prepared to accept that the govt can't control the price of oil, wheat, chinese tat etc, at least not without consequences. But apparently they can perfectly control welfare, social cohesion and house prices indefinitely, without any problem whatsoever.

It's a long lasting illusion, but an illusion nonetheless.

It's obvious that the UK government can't control the price of commodities because they are internationally produced and traded. 

However, welfare and house prices are domestic issues that they have almost complete control over.

For example, as long as the UK government continues to hand pick the Bank of England big wigs and can issue 1 million visas a year, they will continue to manipulate house prices upwards over the medium to longer term. While the housing market can't be perfectly controlled, it's clear that by having a consistent policy on house prices, the government can control the general trajectory of the market over time.

Archived