DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Well, that didn't work

humdrum

humdrum

There are these videos on Youtube whereby the gardener fills a 2 litre bottle with water, punches a hole in the bottle with a small nail, puts the bottle near whatever plant needs watering and then the gardener goes on holiday for the next 6 months, secure in the knowledge that nothing more need be done.

I tried it and the bottles were all empty in a couple of hours.

Maybe I am too glum. All the videos had folk radiating enthusiasm and immaculate lawns and sheds without sack loads of empty cans of Thatcher's Gold.

I can see that this will require a deal of thinking

• Agree 1

Been thinking about watering and how to go about it, have some planters with most of the veg in. Going to ditch the smaller pots and stick to big planters and raised beds. Want to automate it it but the difficulty is the control of how much goes to each bed, drip irrigation hose is one way (with a pump from water barrels), also thought about using measured quantities by flood filling bottles like the one you have used in a semi sealed system, basically feed water through hosepipe to each bottle in a sealed loop back to the water butts. The pump turns on, fills all the bottles and any excess flows back round in the return line into the butt, The bottles then drip feed out. A timer and pump then control how many fills are done per day and when they are done.

Edited by onlyme
  • Informative 1

Did you try it during the near 40 C weather? If so try it again now it's cooler. I noticed yesterday that it was so hot, the saucers I fill up with water for my plants were all bone dry with a few hours, literally it evaporated away. 

First time my house plants have wilted too, not because they were thirsty, was just the hot air, very drying 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

humdrum
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

more organic matter in the soil 

Alternatively, I could drop one of the neighbour's kids a few quid to give the plants a good soak

The traditional methods are the best :)

• Agree 2

sarahbell
9 hours ago, humdrum said:

Alternatively, I could drop one of the neighbour's kids a few quid to give the plants a good soak

The traditional methods are the best :)

We used to spread animal manure on to the ground and dig it in. 
The traditional methods are best. 
We have just forgotten many of them.

• Agree 1

humdrum
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

We used to spread animal manure on to the ground and dig it in. 
The traditional methods are best. 
We have just forgotten many of them.

I can remember how to dig in animal manure. And I can remember when I could do it without spending the next three days in bed.

I think I will just give the kids the hose and ten quid and let nature take its course :)

• Agree 1

sarahbell
2 minutes ago, humdrum said:

I can remember how to dig in animal manure. And I can remember when I could do it without spending the next three days in bed.

I think I will just give the kids the hose and ten quid and let nature take its course :)

Get them to dig it in?

• Lol 1

humdrum
27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Get them to dig it in?

I am going through my pathologically bone idle stage, something that is reinforced by the belief that most gardeners are secretly convinced that nothing worthwhile is ever achieved unless they break their backs doing it.

I am of part of the sad minority who prefers to sit under an apple tree and think of ways of doing sod all.

Most of the spuds, roots, leeks and onions are being grown in 30 litre tubs which are easy to fill and lift. As a growing medium I am using grass clippings, topped up with a cup or two of something pongy from a barrel of witch's brew that I keep on the go.

So far, things look promising. The first early potatoes produced a decent crop and lifting the tubs was a sight easier than digging up a potato bed, particularly since we are in the middle of a re enactment of The Day The Earth Caught Fire without the saving grace of Janet Munro.

The only real problem is that the kids in question belong to a very nice Somali family and the parents believe that it is good for children to run around after white haired old gentlemen. So they won't accept payment. I believe that they are nice kids, but will work better for cash than moral blackmail.

:)

• Agree 1

sarahbell
1 hour ago, humdrum said:

I am going through my pathologically bone idle stage, something that is reinforced by the belief that most gardeners are secretly convinced that nothing worthwhile is ever achieved unless they break their backs doing it.

I am of part of the sad minority who prefers to sit under an apple tree and think of ways of doing sod all.

Most of the spuds, roots, leeks and onions are being grown in 30 litre tubs which are easy to fill and lift. As a growing medium I am using grass clippings, topped up with a cup or two of something pongy from a barrel of witch's brew that I keep on the go.

So far, things look promising. The first early potatoes produced a decent crop and lifting the tubs was a sight easier than digging up a potato bed, particularly since we are in the middle of a re enactment of The Day The Earth Caught Fire without the saving grace of Janet Munro.

The only real problem is that the kids in question belong to a very nice Somali family and the parents believe that it is good for children to run around after white haired old gentlemen. So they won't accept payment. I believe that they are nice kids, but will work better for cash than moral blackmail.

:)

Nice to have help. :)

I put it on the surface. I haven't done deep digging for a long time.

• Agree 1