Jump to content
DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

IGNORED

Using an IBC for water storage


Andersen

Recommended Posts

Andersen

I've been given the ok to buy an IBC water tank for the place I'm renovating, so we can use waste water from the house in the gardens.

I recently did a load of work on the house plumbing and discovered (rediscovered?) that the grey water from house showers / sinks etc has it's own discharge pipe that ends in the garden and just pours the water onto the ground where it runs off to the nearby plants & trees. The garden is about 6ft lower than the house so it's an ideal location to install an IBC, then I just need to re-reroute the outlet do it fill the IBC. Simples yes?

My question is how do I distribute the water once the IBC is full? The outlet is some kind of huge 4" bore pipe with a tap. I'm thinking of running a length of hosepipe from that, and just moving the hosepipe around to get water to different parts of the garden. A sprinkler would be nice but that would need some kind of pump and electric supply which isn't practical or in budget.

A local place is selling IBCs, their cheap version is on a wooden pallet base, the slightly more expensive one is on a metal pallet. Does the base make any difference? I'm suspect that long-term the wood might deteriorate but I'm just guessing. Any advice?

Any idea how much waste water we can expect from 2 or 3 folk having showers, washing etc? I have no idea if the IBC will fill in 2 weeks or if it will take 6 months :/

Is there a better solution, have I missed anything obvious?

Random pic just because ...

spacer.png

Exiting times ahead (sometimes I'm easily exited) xD

Edited by Andersen
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keeping it level on bricks would probably be a good idea (should be fine as long as still caged), maybe with a slight slope to the outlet to be able to empty out and clean out fully if needs be at any time.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

belfastchild

Someone replied on a forum (may have been here) about getting a black one or wrapping the white one in silage plastic to stop light getting in and going green.
I went with a series of 220l blue barrels instead and just fitted hozelock taps to them and fed them off the downspouts as water butts.
Ive a high section at the end of the garden so was going to put ibc there then use garden hose and 12v pump to pump the water from the water butts up to it and then let gravity feed the drip system in the garden (using old garden hose then adapters for the drip system).

Had the watering system set up last year for going away but ended up putting it on a timer off the mains water as I didnt get the ibc. Would have worked but have used the space for something else. Can still fit another 220l barrel in the space so might put that on an elevated rack on its side and just pump up to it occasionally.

Did look at waste water over here in NI (dishwasher is about 2 sinks worth, washing machine about the same) but theres only really a dry rain spell for about a month per year so 2 water butts pumped up to an ibc during rainy times would fill it a lot quicker than single person waste water (plus not worried about whats in the water).

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nirvana
1 hour ago, Andersen said:

Is there a better solution, have I missed anything obvious?

Random pic just because ...

i've thought about one of them but I think I'm sticking with a wheelie bin and another old open dustbin.....that way it is easier to just dunk my bucket in the top for watering the plants......

also I'm on the lookout for a couple of those circa 200 litre barrels for a top up.......

I was talking to someone about my well yesterday and the fact that I still haven't got a working pump is pretty fukkin disgraceful really lol.....hey ho

it depends how much you wanna grow though too.....I'm a shite gardener so I just go dumpster divin instead xD

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joncrete Cungle

You can buy a reducer that screws onto the IBC tap fitting making it easy to attach a hosepipe. Metal pallet is better than wood. A none clear IBC (black, blue or white usually) is better I find as the sunlight cannot get to the water inside and turn it into pea soup that will block your hosepipe eventually.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell
30 minutes ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

You can buy a reducer that screws onto the IBC tap fitting making it easy to attach a hosepipe. Metal pallet is better than wood. A none clear IBC (black, blue or white usually) is better I find as the sunlight cannot get to the water inside and turn it into pea soup that will block your hosepipe eventually.

Didn't know you could get coloured ones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

light n dark
9 hours ago, Andersen said:

Is there a better solution, have I missed anything obvious?

Sounds like you'll need to switch (so will guests) from the normal cheap shampoos/conditioners/gels produced by big corporates/pharma -> to -> ones that contain ingredients that are maybe even all edible - or at least non toxic / biodegradable? 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nirvana

@Andersenhow much dosh are they out of interest? methinks the key with these things is collecting lots of rain water in as short a time as possible ie when there is a big storm........then using it as sparingly as possible, say over a month or so and hoping that another storm comes along when you are empty which is exactly what happened here on Sunday night lol

problem you have with still water and sunshine is algae, I saw that with a mates swimming pool recently, luckily I rescued it just in time...

Edited by nirvana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andersen

@sarahbell that tap looks ideal - not something I’d seen before. Good thinking about raising it to get a watering can under. Flat on the ground felt the wrong thing to do, now i know why !

@nirvanaI’ve seen them advertised from 80 (clean used?), new on metal base are under 150. Good point about algae,

Thanks folks :Beer:

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell
5 minutes ago, Andersen said:

@sarahbell that tap looks ideal - not something I’d seen before. Good thinking about raising it to get a watering can under. Flat on the ground felt the wrong thing to do, now i know why !

@nirvanaI’ve seen them advertised from 80 (clean used?), new on metal base are under 150. Good point about algae,

Thanks folks :Beer:

Metal base won't rot.

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fully Detached
10 hours ago, Andersen said:

@sarahbell that tap looks ideal - not something I’d seen before. Good thinking about raising it to get a watering can under. Flat on the ground felt the wrong thing to do, now i know why !

@nirvanaI’ve seen them advertised from 80 (clean used?), new on metal base are under 150. Good point about algae,

Thanks folks :Beer:

Not sure if you've mentioned this already but get one that's listed as food grade, i.e. it's had nice friendly stuff stored in it and not oil, diesel or something that's going to make a bollocks of your garden.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell
Just now, ccc said:

You've never owned a Ford Escort :Old:

Nope. But I've seen an IBC with wooden pallet bottom recently 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kurt Barlow
On 20/07/2022 at 11:47, Andersen said:

I've been given the ok to buy an IBC water tank for the place I'm renovating, so we can use waste water from the house in the gardens.

I recently did a load of work on the house plumbing and discovered (rediscovered?) that the grey water from house showers / sinks etc has it's own discharge pipe that ends in the garden and just pours the water onto the ground where it runs off to the nearby plants & trees. The garden is about 6ft lower than the house so it's an ideal location to install an IBC, then I just need to re-reroute the outlet do it fill the IBC. Simples yes?

My question is how do I distribute the water once the IBC is full? The outlet is some kind of huge 4" bore pipe with a tap. I'm thinking of running a length of hosepipe from that, and just moving the hosepipe around to get water to different parts of the garden. A sprinkler would be nice but that would need some kind of pump and electric supply which isn't practical or in budget.

A local place is selling IBCs, their cheap version is on a wooden pallet base, the slightly more expensive one is on a metal pallet. Does the base make any difference? I'm suspect that long-term the wood might deteriorate but I'm just guessing. Any advice?

Any idea how much waste water we can expect from 2 or 3 folk having showers, washing etc? I have no idea if the IBC will fill in 2 weeks or if it will take 6 months :/

Is there a better solution, have I missed anything obvious?

Random pic just because ...

spacer.png

Exiting times ahead (sometimes I'm easily exited) xD

I use a 500gph (more like 500 lph when you take account of pipe resistance) auto bilge pump and about 30 metres of 3/4 ID pipe. Its most jnr who has baths and a lot of this water is going on the garden. The pump is run off a  12v battery. 

Its all triple use as its a spare for the yacht and I use at the allotment. 

SEAFLO Automatic Bilge Pump Marine Boat Auto Submersible Bilge Pump 12V 750GPH | eBay

  • Informative 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kurt Barlow
On 20/07/2022 at 11:47, Andersen said:

I've been given the ok to buy an IBC water tank for the place I'm renovating, so we can use waste water from the house in the gardens.

I recently did a load of work on the house plumbing and discovered (rediscovered?) that the grey water from house showers / sinks etc has it's own discharge pipe that ends in the garden and just pours the water onto the ground where it runs off to the nearby plants & trees. The garden is about 6ft lower than the house so it's an ideal location to install an IBC, then I just need to re-reroute the outlet do it fill the IBC. Simples yes?

My question is how do I distribute the water once the IBC is full? The outlet is some kind of huge 4" bore pipe with a tap. I'm thinking of running a length of hosepipe from that, and just moving the hosepipe around to get water to different parts of the garden. A sprinkler would be nice but that would need some kind of pump and electric supply which isn't practical or in budget.

A local place is selling IBCs, their cheap version is on a wooden pallet base, the slightly more expensive one is on a metal pallet. Does the base make any difference? I'm suspect that long-term the wood might deteriorate but I'm just guessing. Any advice?

Any idea how much waste water we can expect from 2 or 3 folk having showers, washing etc? I have no idea if the IBC will fill in 2 weeks or if it will take 6 months :/

Is there a better solution, have I missed anything obvious?

Random pic just because ...

spacer.png

Exiting times ahead (sometimes I'm easily exited) xD

Adding to my previous post -  Stored waste water stinks. IMO better to go down the bilge pump route and use immediately after a bath. Also cheaper over all and takes up less space. 

 

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kurt Barlow
Just now, nirvana said:

I presume the white outlet pipe is for the exit tube? so where does it suck water in from?

Yes  the white nozzle is the outlet. Intake is through the base - Its got a crude strainer over it. Normally you would screw the base plate to the floor or a thin plastic board to hold it down and upright

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andersen

I called past to order an IBC today just before lunch expecting delivery sometime next week.

The chap behind the desk said he was just going for lunch but would drop it off in about an hour. The result is it's now in my garage and over the weekend I need to clear the corner where it's going to be fitted. Today has been a busy day and it's not over yet !

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell
14 hours ago, spunko said:

Have you asked any local farmers as they're often giving them away for free as long as you collect

The local one charges forty quid 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...